Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2016, 22:39   #2941
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
TV Player Plus adds 5 new channels to their pay TV line-up:

http://tbivision.com/news/2016/08/vi...ervice/634722/

MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central Extra, Nick Jr. and Nick Jr. Too are now available along with 25 other popular pay TV channels for only £4.99 per month. Pretty good value.
Agreed. It's what TopUp TV should have envolved to.
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2016, 23:01   #2942
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central Extra, Nick Jr. and Nick Jr. Too are now available along with 25 other popular pay TV channels for only £4.99 per month. Pretty good value.
I wish there was a way to select ala-carte, the channels you wanted. But if HD channels start appearing, this could become a threat to Sky/VM/BT.

I've always wanted "cable" alternatives to VM's tv offering. Perhaps this may eventually be a option.

I expect Amazon to start offering channels on its service here at some point like they do on their American service.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Agree.

Last edited by Horizon; 15-08-2016 at 23:08.
Old 15-08-2016, 23:40   #2943
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

This is cheaper than Now TV isn't it, how do their channels compare though?
Old 16-08-2016, 00:16   #2944
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This is cheaper than Now TV isn't it, how do their channels compare though?
TV Player Plus:

Lifetime
History
H2
CI
Gold
Alibi
Watch
Good Food
Eden
Home
Discovery Channel
TLC
ID
Animal Planet
Discovery Turbo
Eurosport 1
Eurosport 2
National Geographic
Nat Geo Wild
Sony Television
Sony Movie Channel
MTV
Comedy Central
Comedy Central Extra
Nickelodeon
Nick Jr.
Nick Jr. Too
Boomerang
Cartoon Network
Baby TV
Cartoonito

Now TV:

SKY 1
SKY Atlantic
SKY Living
SKY Arts
ITV Encore
FOX
Gold (Available on TV Player Plus)
Comedy Central (Available on TV Player Plus)
MTV (Available on TV Player Plus)
Discovery Channel (Available on TV Player Plus)
Nat Geo Wild (Available on TV Player Plus)

The main difference between the services are the SKY branded channels. TV Player Plus offers a more rounded service which includes sport, kids TV, documentaries, UK entertainment and lifestyle.

Shop around, for your NOW TV passes, and you can get both Now TV and TV Player Plus for roughly £8.20 per month. Take out the overlapping channels that both services provide and your getting 37 of the top pay TV channels not available on Freeview or Freesat. If your not hung up on HD it's a real cheap alternative to subscription TV. Both TV Player Plus and NOW TV offer comprehensive catch up services for their channels so no real need for a PVR unless your recording content from freeview.

Both SKY's Original Bundle and Virgin's More TV weigh in at £20.00 per month. Both packages cost over double Now TV and TV Player Plus combined. In my opinion the Original Bundle and More TV don't offer the same quality of "premium channels" that are available from the combination of NOW TV and TV Player Plus. For around £21 per month you can get Now TV, TV Player Plus, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. There's definitely more value to be had from streaming.

It all comes down to what you like and how you are prepared to consume your TV. I'm lucky that my LG Smart TV supports Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and NOW TV. I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick which I can use to access TV Player Plus, iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD, My5, UKTV Play and my favourite Boxnation. I also have a recordable YouView box in the bedroom, which could easily be promoted to the livingroom if need be. I'm in a position where a subscription to SKY or Virgin Media are no longer essential for mine or my families viewing needs. If SKY keep on offering me 50% off my TV deal every 12 months when I call to cancel I'll keep on taking it. If however they stop making the offer I have no issue at all switching to Freeview and streaming.

Last edited by Chad; 16-08-2016 at 00:45.
Old 16-08-2016, 00:16   #2945
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Interesting tvplayer also have premium addons it appears http://globo.tvplayer.com/
Old 16-08-2016, 01:11   #2946
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
TV Player Plus:

Lifetime
History
H2
CI
Gold
Alibi
Watch
Good Food
Eden
Home
Discovery Channel
TLC
ID
Animal Planet
Discovery Turbo
Eurosport 1
Eurosport 2
National Geographic
Nat Geo Wild
Sony Television
Sony Movie Channel
MTV
Comedy Central
Comedy Central Extra
Nickelodeon
Nick Jr.
Nick Jr. Too
Boomerang
Cartoon Network
Baby TV
Cartoonito

Now TV:

SKY 1
SKY Atlantic
SKY Living
SKY Arts
ITV Encore
FOX
Gold (Available on TV Player Plus)
Comedy Central (Available on TV Player Plus)
MTV (Available on TV Player Plus)
Discovery Channel (Available on TV Player Plus)
Nat Geo Wild (Available on TV Player Plus)

The main difference between the services are the SKY branded channels. TV Player Plus offers a more rounded service which includes sport, kids TV, documentaries, UK entertainment and lifestyle.

Shop around, for your NOW TV passes, and you can get both Now TV and TV Player Plus for roughly £8.20 per month. Take out the overlapping channels that both services provide and your getting 37 of the top pay TV channels not available on Freeview or Freesat. If your not hung up on HD it's a real cheap alternative to subscription TV. Both TV Player Plus and NOW TV offer comprehensive catch up services for their channels so no real need for a PVR unless your recording content from freeview.

Both SKY's Original Bundle and Virgin's More TV weigh in at £20.00 per month. Both packages cost over double Now TV and TV Player Plus combined. In my opinion the Original Bundle and More TV don't offer the same quality of "premium channels" that are available from the combination of NOW TV and TV Player Plus. For around £21 per month you can get Now TV, TV Player Plus, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. There's definitely more value to be had from streaming.

It all comes down to what you like and how you are prepared to consume your TV. I'm lucky that my LG Smart TV supports Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and NOW TV. I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick which I can use to access TV Player Plus, iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD, My5, UKTV Play and my favourite Boxnation. I also have a recordable YouView box in the bedroom, which could easily be promoted to the livingroom if need be. I'm in a position where a subscription to SKY or Virgin Media are no longer essential for mine or my families viewing needs. If SKY keep on offering me 50% off my TV deal every 12 months when I call to cancel I'll keep on taking it. If however they stop making the offer I have no issue at all switching to Freeview and streaming.
Thanks for such a comprehensive response Chad.

The streaming services really are going to be a challenge to both Sky & VM and it can only get worse for them.

Good for us consumers though.
Old 16-08-2016, 01:27   #2947
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I mentioned ala-carte in relation to tvplus earlier, but what the US cablecos are starting to do in response to the streaming threat is either offer ala-carte, self select packages, or smaller bundles of channels giving greater flexibility. It can only be a matter of time before VM does the same, albeit kicking and screaming.
Old 16-08-2016, 09:37   #2948
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I mentioned ala-carte in relation to tvplus earlier, but what the US cablecos are starting to do in response to the streaming threat is either offer ala-carte, self select packages, or smaller bundles of channels giving greater flexibility. It can only be a matter of time before VM does the same, albeit kicking and screaming.
Totally agree. It's what a lot of customers have been asking for for a long time now. Why pay for 200+ channels when you maybe only watch 30 of them on a regular basis?
Old 16-08-2016, 11:01   #2949
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Quote:
Totally agree. It's what a lot of customers have been asking for for a long time now. Why pay for 200+ channels when you maybe only watch 30 of them on a regular basis?
A better solution than we have now.

Ideally one would like to have PAYGTV so you get billed for the channels and the time you actually watch. No packages and no blocked channels. Then if a movie you really like comes up you can choose to watch it without having to have a movie pack and the commitment that involves. ( I can dream. Right? )
Old 16-08-2016, 12:00   #2950
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Then if a movie you really like comes up you can choose to watch it without having to have a movie pack and the commitment that involves. ( I can dream. Right? )
Err... isn't that Virgin Movies?
Old 16-08-2016, 12:14   #2951
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
A better solution than we have now.

Ideally one would like to have PAYGTV so you get billed for the channels and the time you actually watch. No packages and no blocked channels. Then if a movie you really like comes up you can choose to watch it without having to have a movie pack and the commitment that involves. ( I can dream. Right? )
Sounds like a pay per view model to me. A more expensive way of watching tv.

You can already watch films this way, incidentally!

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Quote:
Are you talking about the 30 odd channels you personally watch? What about the rest of your family?
Old 16-08-2016, 13:48   #2952
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sounds like a pay per view model to me. A more expensive way of watching tv.

You can already watch films this way, incidentally!

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Are you talking about the 30 odd channels you personally watch? What about the rest of your family?
30 is about right for our household. Most of our viewing is from Freeview. 10 of the 30 pay channels are kids channels for my wee boy. The wife and I watch the SKY branded channels on a regular basis. I watch Discovery, Nat Geo, H2 and Fox. She watches E!, TLC and Lifetime. We also watch the odd thing here and there on Watch and TCM. Other than that I rarely view any other pay TV channels.
Old 16-08-2016, 18:15   #2953
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A Now TV Live Chat advisor has said that Sky Sports Mix "will be available on Now TV as a teaser channel for all Now TV subscribers".
Old 17-08-2016, 02:41   #2954
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
A Now TV Live Chat advisor has said that Sky Sports Mix "will be available on Now TV as a teaser channel for all Now TV subscribers".
Did they say from what date and for how long?
Old 17-08-2016, 17:36   #2955
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Does anyone use Now TV for Sky Sports?
I've decided to utilise my 200 meg VM connection and try some cord cutting as getting BT Sports and Sky Sports in HD was adding nearly £60 a month to my VM bill when I hardly use the TV side of the service apart from sports and can get most channels I watch via Freeview.
I probably shouldn't admit this but I slip my dad a fiver a month to add BT Sports to his BT account and as he doesn't use the sports online I use it and it works perfectly, in fact the Windows app gives one of the best online sports picture I've ever seen without any buffering or drop in quality.
I also have a very good American friend who has no interest in football so allows me to use their NBC login, this again works perfectly via a VPN.
I try to do the right thing by buying Now TV passes for the events they show that I want to watch but every time there is an issue, on Monday night it got ridiculous, I was trying to watch the Chelsea-West Ham game and the quality dropped every couple of minutes before briefly going up again until it failed to work at all.
Out of frustration I gave up and fired up my VPN, connected to NBC and got uninterrupted 1080P streaming so my question is do others that use Now TV for sports suffer similar issues or am I just being unlucky every time I use them?
It beggars belief to me that I can connect to a server across the Atlantic, then connect to a different server and get a perfect service but can't get something from a few miles up the road to work. I add I don't get these issues when using the entertainment part of Now TV.
Closed Thread