Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SHUB3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SHUB3

Old 27-10-2017, 00:26   #16
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: SHUB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It's a bit of a 50/50 tbh. I would personally take the view of killing two birds with one stone and go with buying a proper router. In addition to better wireless performance you are going to benefit in many other areas as well. That being said, if you live in a ginormous house one router/access point might not cut and this is where the homeplugs come in. They can "potentially" offer better speeds because they'll be closer to the devices they are serving but it may also backfire on you big time. Because they run over your electrical circuit the signal is prone to interference and other problems and sometimes the plugs randomly lose their connection etc and it can make troubleshooting any wireless connectivity issues with a client (e.g. your laptop) a pain in the ass.

I would personally buy a proper router (which won't be much more expensive than a set of homeplugs) and try it in the location where the shub is. If you don't think the wireless performance is good enough then you can always get some flat cat5e to run under the carpet downstairs/to another room so you can reposition the router to a more centralised location for optimal wireless connectivity.
Thanks....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2017, 12:37   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I know it is coming up to xmas and pennies are tight but think of a router as TV and something you want to work properly but also something you want to use, enjoy and benefit from everyday for the next 2-3 years. If/when you are ready to buy your router don't be cheap; if it is worth doing then it is worth doing properly and I cannot recommend Asus enough. Take the time to have a look at all the different models on Amazon and decide which is best for you. Some routers are now triband and AC5300 which sounds great but unless your devices (and more importantly their network adapters) also support the technology then you aren't going to benefit from it. The high end routers also have multiple usb ports and eSATA so you can connect printers and hard drives and you can run network printing and shared storage but once again, if you don't need it then you don't buy it. The router I suggested above is a great mid-range router and is good for 836mbits wan to lan throughput (download speed) so you know it is going to last you a while.

I was going to suggest staying away from places like Currys because they normally charge a load more for the same thing but I have just had a quick look and oddly enough it is the same price so if it makes you happier you could get it from there.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:55   #18
cje85
cf.member

cje85 is an unknown quantity at this point

nothing to see here!

Last edited by cje85; 27-10-2017 at 13:30.
cje85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 13:12   #19
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

cje85, have you checked a PM you should have received on the Virgin Media community forum?
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 13:21   #20
cje85
cf.member

Yes, I received it at exactly 12:00, but had no idea that they didn't want it discussed in public before that. I'm not a VM trialist and have never applied to be one. Various others have posted about it on the VM forum so it seems the messages were sent too late. From now on I won't be commenting further on the update.

Last edited by cje85; 27-10-2017 at 13:28.
Old 27-10-2017, 15:57   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So they are releasing new firmware versions to people who didnt ask, and then wanting them to keep it secret ?

Seems a bit cheeky to me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 16:10   #22
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
So they are releasing new firmware versions to people who didnt ask, and then wanting them to keep it secret ?

Seems a bit cheeky to me.
I can't comment but to say I am in the original "white" Hub 3 trials and have received an update.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 16:28   #23
cje85
cf.member

The message sent to me began with "Following your participation on the Hub 3.0 latency thread ...." so some non trialists who have taken part in that thread have been chosen too.

It's still being openly discussed by some other users on the VM forum (Gaming section), and VM have merged my original thread about the update in to the existing latency thread rather than deleting it, but i'll respect their wish and not make any specific comments regarding the firmware itself.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:39   #24
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cje85 View Post
The message sent to me began with "Following your participation on the Hub 3.0 latency thread ...." so some non trialists who have taken part in that thread have been chosen too.

It's still being openly discussed by some other users on the VM forum (Gaming section), and VM have merged my original thread about the update in to the existing latency thread rather than deleting it, but i'll respect their wish and not make any specific comments regarding the firmware itself.
I'll save your time. This firmware is bovine excreta. It handles pings and DNS requests differently from everything else, so it makes Think Broadband BQM graphs look prettier and bodges tests done via DNS requests.

Intel continue to be unable to fix the underlying problem so just hid it for a small subset of traffic. They can't do it for everything because it would kill throughput.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 18:40   #25
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

doesn't surprise me at all
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 22:52   #26
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Thanks very much for that, and I apologise for being so impatient! I'm no expert on anything like this, far from it actually, and I appreciate any advice given, I have been reading about homeplugs and how they improve your WiFi signal, in your opinion is this an acceptable method to increase the signal in areas of the house which are quite far from the SHUB 3 that have a weak signal? Are they a cheaper option than a router with the same results?

Thx
I would not bother with Homeplugs. They depend entirely on the quality of the wiring in your house, plus you have to deal with things like devices being on separate rings and they can end up being as much of a nightmare as wireless.

For what you'd pay for a decent set of homeplugs, you can get a decent router. Any of the Asus routers would be a good shout.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 18:10   #27
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

I recently upgraded to V6 Tivo (like a lot of people) and also had a new Superhub 3 installed at the same time! Now I am having problems with my homeplugs keep loosing connection.

For the record my superb is in the bedroom and all my multimedia devices including the V6 are down stairs, the home plugs are TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack and I have a desktop switch downstairs to TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100 Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch - White

Sounds stupid but just by switching off either the switch or home plug for a few seconds reconnects the home plugs with the superhub again!

Any help would be extremely grateful as I am using wireless at the moment that seems to be a more secure connection,

Thanks

Mark