Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Outside Grey box cover missing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Using SD channels with a HD set and V HD box.

Old 28-07-2010, 16:37   #1
Mike012321
Inactive

Mike012321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Using SD channels with a HD set and V HD box.

Hi,

I think I read somewhere that there can be picture quality problems when displaying standard definition channels on a HD TV-i.e. the display of SD channels is worse on HD than on a non-HD set. I expect there are lots of people using Virgin SD channels with HD sets,so it would be interesting to hear your experiences and opinions on this.

Would using a HD TV with the Virgin M+ TV package (mostly SD channels) be an acceptable set-up,do you think?

I am considering getting a Sony KDL EX301 32" HD TV set or similar. Would this give good visual results with the M+ package ,which includes a V HD Box?

Thanks

Mike
Mike012321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2010, 16:42   #2
anap
Inactive

Services: VIP with extra box (2 V6's & a TiVo)
anap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enough
Re: Using SD channels with a HD set and V HD box.

I think the SD picture is very good, it's much better through my cable box than the built in freeview picture on my TV. As most channels are SD and a lot of people have HD TV's now there would be a lot of complaints about the SD picture if it was the case!
anap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 16:50   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I think its becuase a SD picture on a HUGE screen looks poor without upscaling (ie through a scart) but when through a HDMI thats upscaled the picture is more acceptable.

A 32" will show a good picture as the pixels are more dense and the VHD box upscales the images too.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 19:54   #4
ChrisLUFC22
Inactive

Services: Sky Q
ChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to all

I've got a 32" screen and (the majority of) the programmes look quite good in SD. And mine isn't a brilliant TV either.
ChrisLUFC22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 09:40   #5
Mike012321
Inactive

Mike012321 is an unknown quantity at this point

anap,jb66 and ChrisLUFC22,many thanks. I found your comments very helpful.
Mike012321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 18:09   #6
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I recently bought a 42" HD TV, and then got V+ HD. A show like Spartacus on Bravo isn't HD, so doesn't look as good as say Dexter on FX HD, but it's still a good picture. In fact we still were watching some shows on the DVD Hard drive recorder which had recorded from the old Pace stb, and again, you could tell they were SD but were still perfectly watchable.

it also depends how close/far you sit from your tv. we sit about 10ft away, and SD looks fine. I had toyed with the idea of 50" but at 10ft SD can look bad.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 21:53   #7
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I recently bought a 42" HD TV, and then got V+ HD. A show like Spartacus on Bravo isn't HD, so doesn't look as good as say Dexter on FX HD, but it's still a good picture. In fact we still were watching some shows on the DVD Hard drive recorder which had recorded from the old Pace stb, and again, you could tell they were SD but were still perfectly watchable.

it also depends how close/far you sit from your tv. we sit about 10ft away, and SD looks fine. I had toyed with the idea of 50" but at 10ft SD can look bad.
You can watch Sparticus Blood and Sand in HD in TV choice on demand. It looks great
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote