Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is anyone getting a little big planet sackboy keyring?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

connecting ps3 to internet using ethernet cable

Old 18-11-2008, 20:51   #1
5 star
Inactive

5 star is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation connecting ps3 to internet using ethernet cable

hi i wanted to connect my ps3 to the PlayStation Network using a wired coonection. i have connected a normal modem wire ( the one you would use to access dial up internet on a computer) to my ps3 but the internet won't work. is this because a need a special ethernet ps3 cable or is it something to do with the settings?
5 star is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2008, 21:51   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: connecting ps3 to internet using ethernet cable

A dial-up internet phone lead will not work.

You need an ethernet cable.

What kind of internet do you have? Cable (e.g. Virgin Media) or ADSL (e.g. BT, Sky, Be, etc.)?

What kind of modem?

Do you have a router?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 22:27   #3
5 star
Inactive

the modem cable i tryed to use was from an older computer, which i used to use to access aol dial up internet, i currently use 3 internet, a portable usb dongle device. the modem wire was a standard wire which went from the back of my computer to my phone connection. i do not have a wireless router, so i am trying to get the internet connected wirelessly. is an ethernet cable different from the cable i am using? if so will places like maplins e.t.c sell it?
thx
Old 19-11-2008, 22:35   #4
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

You need a proper internet connection from either cable or phoneline.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 22:42   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Ah... I'm afraid you're most like going to be completely out of luck

You could connect your PS3 to your computer using an ethernet cable

e.g. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44362

... and set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the PC, to share its internet connection with the PS3.

BUT:

You're using mobile broadband (3G / HSDPA)... this really is not suitable for taking the PS3 online. OK, you'd probably get away with using the web browser & Store on the PS3 etc., but I really think it would be too slow for gaming, & have way too high pings for gaming.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 17:56   #6
5 star
Inactive

ok thx loads
Old 13-12-2009, 21:10   #7
aaron-b38
Inactive

aaron-b38 is an unknown quantity at this point

could you please tell me how i would connect my ps3to my wired virgin media modem or pc, if i use an ethernet cable to connect my pc to the virgin media modem, and my pc doesnt have another ethernet port which i can connect my ps3 to??
aaron-b38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 09:47   #8
D_Skids
Inactive

D_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant future

Your best bet would be to get a router which goes between your modem and computer/PS3. These have 4 ports on so you could connect your computer to one and PS3 to another. For a few more quid you could get a wirless router then you don't need to run a cable from the PS3.

Something like this would be suitable http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-N-802...item35a5aafa6e

Or this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-WGR614...item53de1d7f77

If you don't want to use Ebay you could pick one up from www.ebuyer.co.uk or from a local Maplin. Make sure to get a cable router not ADSL.
D_Skids is offline   Reply With Quote