Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media prices are going up again...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Old 18-10-2017, 20:44   #181
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
They are probably Ok at the moment but just wait and see what happens when the interest rates start going up.
So that's a no?
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2017, 16:44   #182
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
New customers get it for £90... I am on £92.50 vip with only 200mbps broadband and that annoys me even now!

New customer only deals is quite unfair... won't even let me go to the limited edition full house sports bundle for £65 a month or even just give me 200->300mbps for free!!
Are you sure that the "new customer" deal isn't a time limited one that'll shoot up in 6 months?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 20:48   #183
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain View Post
So that's a no?

Thats a YES.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 20:58   #184
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Thats a YES.
No means no. You lied, get over it.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 00:38   #185
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Sounds like he knew you were bluffing, hes doing exactly what he is paid for, to retain you paying the maximum price he could
Indeed, if Virgin are to believed (and I've no reason to doubt) a customer cancelling Sky Sports but retaining basic services is more profitable for Virgin anyway as much of that revenue is pretty much handed over to Sky!

If you are willing to retain pretty much any phone and broadband package this is where Virgin make their profits.

Word has spread to phone up and "threaten to cancel". Websites like that of Martin Lewis give you a play by play guide in doing it. If you aren't willing to end call number 1 in your 30 day notice period they'll see right through you.

It's also better to have a compelling offer to go to. Phoned on behalf of my parents after the latest price rise and pretty much got laughed off the phone because they are on Mates Rates and it's impossible to get such a good deal elsewhere.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 20:14   #186
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain View Post
No means no. You lied, get over it.
You get over it A H.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 22:04   #187
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It's all a farce, why should you have to the amateur dramatics threaten to leave palava? VM customers will soon qualify for an Equity card ! Well deserved too !

We don't need to do this for any other household service. Gas/Electricity it's easy to change to the cheapest and prices aren't up for negotiation. You just switch, simple. Wish there was a similar open market on Cable suppliers, and switching was as easy. Prices would lower and VM wouldn't get away with these frequent inflation busting price rises. There is Sky but it's a hassle, they know it , and VM and Sky shareholders profit from it. A privatised 'duopoly'. I blame Thatcher/Murdoch/Branson
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 00:01   #188
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's all a farce, why should you have to the amateur dramatics threaten to leave palava? VM customers will soon qualify for an Equity card ! Well deserved too !

We don't need to do this for any other household service. Gas/Electricity it's easy to change to the cheapest and prices aren't up for negotiation. You just switch, simple. Wish there was a similar open market on Cable suppliers, and switching was as easy. Prices would lower and VM wouldn't get away with these frequent inflation busting price rises. There is Sky but it's a hassle, they know it , and VM and Sky shareholders profit from it. A privatised 'duopoly'. I blame Thatcher/Murdoch/Branson
They realise that the inertia of most customers will let them get away with it and obviously there's no other mainstream cable provider to compete on price (i'm ignoring Sky as in my case the line is painfully slow) so VM are laughing all the way to the bank.
A different sector but I have the same problem with insurance companies sending out ridiculous renewal quotes and I invariably get a quote somewhere else much cheaper which the original will then usually match . Spend my life negotiating with greedy organisations. Really grinds my gears.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:09   #189
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Interesting;

According to Ofcom, both Sky and Virgin Media have put up their charges by 47% above the rate of inflation since 2009.
At the same time the wholesale cost of providing the service has actually fallen by 27% in real terms.

Link
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:11   #190
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

And VM's top speed in 2009 was 50Mb/s, and now it's 300Mb/s - 500% speed increase.

They had 5 HD channels in 2009, and now have have 50 - 900% increase.

Amazing what you can do with statistics...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:36   #191
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yep statistics the bane of us all.
Old 26-10-2017, 16:46   #192
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Interesting;

According to Ofcom, both Sky and Virgin Media have put up their charges by 47% above the rate of inflation since 2009.
At the same time the wholesale cost of providing the service has actually fallen by 27% in real terms.

Link
Don't those figures just relate to standalone landline charges?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 18:11   #193
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And VM's top speed in 2009 was 50Mb/s, and now it's 300Mb/s - 500% speed increase.

Your avatar is quite appropriate.

Looks like those numbers are for rental charges.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 18:40   #194
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

My memory may be a bit off but i think i'm still paying roughly what i would have been paying in 2009 for 50mb + phone + basic TV, with the difference being currently on 100mb.

It's fluctuated up and down over the years depending on what offer i've taken up through either retentions or the odd offer they've given out of the blue, such as 200mb, free BTSport or cut price BT Sports, even had the full TV package for free for 6 months at one point from them phoning up and offering.

I grumble and moan about the price rises when they happen but for the most part i've paid round £35-£45 ish for the past 10 years and often having a package worth a lot more than i was paying. If retentions didn't exist i'd be a lot less happy but they do
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 22:58   #195
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
My memory may be a bit off but i think i'm still paying roughly what i would have been paying in 2009 for 50mb + phone + basic TV, with the difference being currently on 100mb.

It's fluctuated up and down over the years depending on what offer i've taken up through either retentions or the odd offer they've given out of the blue, such as 200mb, free BTSport or cut price BT Sports, even had the full TV package for free for 6 months at one point from them phoning up and offering.

I grumble and moan about the price rises when they happen but for the most part i've paid round £35-£45 ish for the past 10 years and often having a package worth a lot more than i was paying. If retentions didn't exist i'd be a lot less happy but they do
I suppose that's one way to look at things, but another is that the 50Mbit was the top tier back in 2009 whereas now the 100mbit is the lowest tier. In other words, the only reason you're paying "about the same" is because you've dropped a few tiers along the way.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote