Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media prices are going up again...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Old 09-10-2017, 19:16   #151
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media prices are going up again...

VM flash sale; https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2017, 17:06   #152
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, I think it's the retention deals that are losing them money. Sky started this off, I think, and the whole thing has got out of hand.

If they stuck to one price for everyone, and Sky did the same, I'm sure their revenue would increase.
All it would take is one provider out of the tens out there to undercut and everyone would flock to them.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 17:10   #153
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
All it would take is one provider out of the tens out there to undercut and everyone would flock to them.
Don't TalkTalk do that? I don't see people flocking to them.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 17:22   #154
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's because there's plenty of competition and plenty of offers on from different providers. If they all (bar TalkTalk) agreed a fixed price, then people would move to TalkTalk.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 18:19   #155
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Virgin might have its critics but many would not touch Talk Talk with a bargepole at the end of the day even if they were cheaper.
Old 10-10-2017, 20:29   #156
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
It's a bit early for formal notification - it's the first week of August and the price rise isn't until 1st November, that's almost three months away.
Has anybody NOT had a price rise notification yet (apart from me) ?
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 20:37   #157
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Would it not be a good idea if you could switch entertainment providers just like changing energy companies... I wonder if this would be feasible.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 21:56   #158
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Would it not be a good idea if you could switch entertainment providers just like changing energy companies... I wonder if this would be feasible.
It's not really the same. Generally for gas and electricity, where the supply comes to your home and the infrastructure in your home is exactly the same. That's not true of any broadband provider - even if the 'last mile' shared for BT based providers.

There was a project from BBC, ITV and Channel 4 to share a technology platform for content. It was blocked by the competition commission https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_(video_on_demand)
Old 12-10-2017, 02:55   #159
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, I think it's the retention deals that are losing them money. Sky started this off, I think, and the whole thing has got out of hand.

If they stuck to one price for everyone, and Sky did the same, I'm sure their revenue would increase.
Sky tried to bring discounting to an end in early 2016, but had to abandon it.

It's better to retain/attract customers who can't or won't pay the full price and make less profit than losing them altogether, plus it costs VM less to discount and keep someone than processing the effects of churn.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:11   #160
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The key for Sky is that their costs are generally "fixed" in terms of TV. That is to say the cost to them to provide the service to say 1m extra customers in retentions is small. The extra cost is only that paid to third parties for content and we know that is small.

Phone and broadband on the other hand has infrastructure costs.

Virgin the opposite is true - extra subs results in more money out to Sky/BT/others for content.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 17:49   #161
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Has anybody NOT had a price rise notification yet (apart from me) ?
I have not had notification, so I rang up about it, was told I am not getting an increase. Have Full House, 200meg BB. Phone.
noel43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 18:42   #162
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Ours turned up today: From November.

Got the TV XL pack but we hardly use it and the land line is a rip-off so it looks like a call to retentions is in order.
Old 12-10-2017, 20:09   #163
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Ours turned up today: From November.

Got the TV XL pack but we hardly use it and the land line is a rip-off so it looks like a call to retentions is in order.
Mine finally came today a rise of £3.99, coincides with losing a £4 and £3 discount over the last couple of months so a total of £11. We have 100 MB BB, XL tv and free w/e landline (big kahuna i think). I think i'll be on to retentions as well.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
I have not had notification, so I rang up about it, was told I am not getting an increase. Have Full House, 200meg BB. Phone.
Good result for you. I thought the increases were across the board.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 20:14   #164
rovert
Inactive

Services: Ex VM now P.O. BB & phone, Freeview.
rovert is on a distinguished roadrovert is on a distinguished road

Just thought I would warn others planning on leaving VM to be wary of what they are told by VM operators. I phoned today to advise them that I had signed up with a new provider. The news was not particularly well received but when the operator finally accepted that I had made my mind up he advised that there would be a cancellation charge of £82.77. When I questioned this he said it was because I was in contract till next May. At this point I resorted to quoting from their price rise email giving me till 31 October to change or cancel my package without penalty. He then conceded that the cancellation charge would not apply in my circumstances.

It also came to light that VM had already heard from my new provider about changing the phone number over from 26 October. The operator then turned to broadband which he said I needed to give 30 days notice for. I was given a date to cancel the broadband of 25 November. Again I had to query this by asking why the 30 days was starting from the phone changeover day rather than today when the notice was being given. He again had to concede that he was wrong and corrected the date to 11 November.

I should say that I have been a VM customer since 1999 and am not leaving lightly but like a lot of others have grown tired of the frequency of price rises whether direct increases or caused by expiring and reduced discounts.
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 22:43   #165
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
If you are on the minimum phone, that's exactly what I have and before I complained, it was due to go up by £3.99.

If you spoke to the offshore call centre, i'd ignore anything that they said and do what I do and make sure that you speak to someone in the UK.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
Just thought I would warn others planning on leaving VM to be wary of what they are told by VM operators. I phoned today to advise them that I had signed up with a new provider. The news was not particularly well received but when the operator finally accepted that I had made my mind up he advised that there would be a cancellation charge of £82.77. When I questioned this he said it was because I was in contract till next May. At this point I resorted to quoting from their price rise email giving me till 31 October to change or cancel my package without penalty. He then conceded that the cancellation charge would not apply in my circumstances.

It also came to light that VM had already heard from my new provider about changing the phone number over from 26 October. The operator then turned to broadband which he said I needed to give 30 days notice for. I was given a date to cancel the broadband of 25 November. Again I had to query this by asking why the 30 days was starting from the phone changeover day rather than today when the notice was being given. He again had to concede that he was wrong and corrected the date to 11 November.

I should say that I have been a VM customer since 1999 and am not leaving lightly but like a lot of others have grown tired of the frequency of price rises whether direct increases or caused by expiring and reduced discounts.
Was this the offshore call centre or in the UK (Re: my post above)?

I do find it odd that VM are prepared to lose long term customers like yourself, just as there's never been more competition for the services that they offer. Freeview & Freesat have never been better in terms of availability of free channels too.

This seems to have started since LG took over...
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote