Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Removing roof support for loft conversion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Removing roof support for loft conversion

Old 02-02-2010, 21:42   #16
pooly
Inactive

pooly is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: removing roof support for loft conversion

as requested couple more pics, one shows how beam is connected to rafters at either side of loft, other shows vertical beam that isnt taking any weight and moves easily, and a general view of loft. there is only the 1 beam as shown, neighbour has boarded his out but left beam in place. i would prefer to remove it if possible and make a playroom or extra bedroom, cheers for advice guys,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0779.jpg (486.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0789.jpg (345.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0786.jpg (411.8 KB, 45 views)
pooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2010, 21:47   #17
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

How tall is it in the middle?

It does't look high enough for a loft conversion.
Old 02-02-2010, 21:55   #18
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

thats a better view

As has been suggested the main horizontal beam is structural and nescessary to the integrity of the roof ,the vertical beam was only put in as a safeguard against any sagging in the ridge and has shrunk over the years .If you remove the horizontal beam then it will definately have to be replaced with another type of support (probably rsj)
Old 02-02-2010, 21:55   #19
pooly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

it is deceaving in the pic, it is about 7 foot in the middle, i didnt measure it but im 5'9" and there was easily a good foot above me. also the walls at 1 end are offset making an alcove, im looking at moving the water tank into this alcove and hiding it behind some sort of doors, this will free up about 5 to 6 ft of extra loft space making it longer.
Old 02-02-2010, 21:58   #20
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

doesn't look high enough for practical purposes to me either but for a 'non-living space' could be a usefull space when boarded
Old 02-02-2010, 23:18   #21
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
thats a better view

As has been suggested the main horizontal beam is structural and nescessary to the integrity of the roof ,the vertical beam was only put in as a safeguard against any sagging in the ridge and has shrunk over the years .If you remove the horizontal beam then it will definately have to be replaced with another type of support (probably rsj)
Looks like my roofspace. Late Victorian and originally slated. When the roof was redone in concrete tiles some years ago the builder added some bracing to support the extra weight.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 23:22   #22
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Looks like my roofspace. Late Victorian and originally slated. When the roof was redone in concrete tiles some years ago the builder added some bracing to support the extra weight.

yep it does look like a typical slate roof ,not much weight ,so not much support needed

pleased you had a good roofer because it has been known for roofers to ignore that aspect of the job if they even know it should be done
Old 02-02-2010, 23:29   #23
pooly
Inactive

Quote:
house built 1922, and your right it was originally slate roof but not now
Old 02-02-2010, 23:37   #24
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooly View Post
house built 1922, and your right it was originally slate roof but not now

what tile is on it now ,is it the black "fake slate"?
Old 03-02-2010, 00:01   #25
pooly
Inactive

Quote:
what tile is on it now ,is it the black "fake slate"?
yes i think it is
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44   #26
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooly View Post
yes i think it is
That'll be handy. If it's the composite fake slate that's normally lightweight stuff.
Old 03-02-2010, 16:24   #27
pooly
Inactive

Quote:
That'll be handy. If it's the composite fake slate that's normally lightweight stuff.
yes is the fake slate, was on when i moved in
Old 03-02-2010, 18:59   #28
Dai
Inactive

Quote:
yep it does look like a typical slate roof ,not much weight ,so not much support needed

pleased you had a good roofer because it has been known for roofers to ignore that aspect of the job if they even know it should be done
I can see that on a few of the terrace houses at the back of my place. A lot of them have been redone in the concrete tiles and there are a couple where the droop on the rafters is quite dramatic.
Old 03-02-2010, 19:07   #29
martyh

Quote:
I can see that on a few of the terrace houses at the back of my place. A lot of them have been redone in the concrete tiles and there are a couple where the droop on the rafters is quite dramatic.

in my experience sometimes the customer refuses to have the extra supports put in either because they want to retain the open attic or because the of the extra cost incolved mand then as i have said some roofers don't even think about it
Old 03-02-2010, 20:39   #30
pooly
Inactive

Quote:
in my experience sometimes the customer refuses to have the extra supports put in either because they want to retain the open attic or because the of the extra cost incolved mand then as i have said some roofers don't even think about it
well my roof is fine, and wont take the beams out untill i can find a solution to keep everything safe, would rather pay an engineer to decide what to do than take a risk, got a couple of quotes for private companies all around £300 mark so not excessively expensive to keep it right, gonna see what local council engineer says first. apparently it can cause all sorts of problems if you come to sell and cant show paperwork for inspections etc