Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Removing roof support for loft conversion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Removing roof support for loft conversion

Old 30-01-2010, 10:58   #1
pooly
Inactive

pooly is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing roof support for loft conversion

i am considering a loft conversion, either as storage or preferably for extra rooms, i live in a mid terrace property, and we have a large timber beam running through the length of the loft between the walls, situated about 18 inches of the loft floor, this then as another vertical beam coming from it that goes right up to the top of the roof in the centre of the roof, how could i get round removing this and putting in strenghteners to support the roof. ideas much appreciated.
pooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2010, 11:01   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: removing roof support for loft conversion

Welcome to the forum

Thread moved to Lifestyle where you might get a better response
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:17   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

without actually seeing the roof (can you take some pics and post) it is hard to be certain but my feeling is that these beams are the main support for the roof and should not be removed until other means of supporting the roof have been assessed by a structural engineer or similar professional
The thing to remember about timber roofs is that all of the timbers serve a purpose and removing any of them could result in structural issues unless aproached properly
Old 30-01-2010, 11:32   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

This sounds like a traditional style truss.

You can't remove it without providing major alternative support framework. As martyh has said you need a structural engineer to assess that. But then you'll also need someone to design the suitable thickness of flooring which may need beams too, and if they are to be supported from the party walls (they usually will be) you'll need to do the party wall act stuff. You'll also need proper plans drawn for Building Regulations otherwise you'll have major difficulty selling your house as everyone will assume it's a bodge job. All in all you need to get in the professionals to do the design work even if you then decide some of the work can be physically done DIY.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:42   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Get a professional in otherwise.

Quote:
Featured on national television and splattered all over the newspapers the incredible ‘loft conversion’ built by Christopher Pendrey not only caused £15,000 worth of damage to his Leicester home but also cost him a court appearance and 160 hours of community service.
As featured HERE
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:23   #6
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Get a professional in otherwise.

As featured HERE
I wanted to see pics! There are some right plums in this world
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:27   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
I wanted to see pics! There are some right plums in this world
I know the one but trying to find the pictures as the roof was bowed which gave it away plus he had his kids sleeping up there.

I found it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/3770939.stm
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:54   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

That's small fry compared to some of the bodges (actually that's unfair to the bodgers who probably know what they are trying to do but don't achieve it) I've seen in loft conversions. Indeed one chalet bungalow conversion attempt I saw would probably have cost over £50,000 to redo properly and with the ceilings ready to collapse because of the weight from above I wouldn't have wanted to even be sleeping in the ground floor let alone the new rooms created above.

Only reason that bloke above will have been prosecuted was because the property was rented and thus not his to alter. Homeowner's are different the most they'd get is a dangerous structure notice from Building Control, if Building Control became aware of it. Typically the dodgy jobs are found our at sale of house time.
Old 30-01-2010, 22:08   #9
pooly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Normally to remove these timbers it is necessary to install structural steel work (I-Beams) to take over the load bearing. It is essential to get a structural engineer involved and possibly the party wall surveyor and the building control officer of the council.
thanks for the advice folks, it was obvious to me that these beams are load bearing and no way was i going to attempt to remove it myself before getting some sound advice, would i be ok in boarding the loft for clean storage if i strengthen the beams allready in place, or would i need to put stronger ones in place first, and this will not involve removing the load bearing beams i asked about earlier, the house is quite old, built 1922, cheers again for any help given
Old 30-01-2010, 22:17   #10
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooly View Post
i am considering a loft conversion, either as storage or preferably for extra rooms, i live in a mid terrace property, and we have a large timber beam running through the length of the loft between the walls, situated about 18 inches of the loft floor, this then as another vertical beam coming from it that goes right up to the top of the roof in the centre of the roof, how could i get round removing this and putting in strenghteners to support the roof. ideas much appreciated.

Yeah mate, just take it out, you won't have any problems
Old 31-01-2010, 01:25   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooly View Post
thanks for the advice folks, it was obvious to me that these beams are load bearing and no way was i going to attempt to remove it myself before getting some sound advice, would i be ok in boarding the loft for clean storage if i strengthen the beams allready in place, or would i need to put stronger ones in place first, and this will not involve removing the load bearing beams i asked about earlier, the house is quite old, built 1922, cheers again for any help given
Absolutely no idea. That can only be determined by a professional inspection of your property and roof structure.
Old 31-01-2010, 10:43   #12
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

If you can live with the beam as is, boarding out for storage should be fine.

Can you check with any of your neighbours to see what they have done?
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 18:09   #13
pooly
Inactive

well ive contacted the council surveyer regarding the beams, also took some pics, the vertical beam is actually loos and not taking any weight whatsoever, and can be moved back and forth very easily where it joins the roof, i will wait and see what council say but got a feeling it will be no problem to remove these beams once other supports are in place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0780.jpg (389.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0787.jpg (363.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0788.jpg (460.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-02-2010, 18:49   #14
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

That beam might not be supporting the roof as such, it could be resisting the sideways or outward spread of the roof timbers that push the tops of the walls outwards.
Old 02-02-2010, 19:39   #15
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

As rob said the beam on the floor is probably their to stop outward spread of the roof ,although i can't see how that would be achieved with just one (if that's the case) is that the only beam in your loft ?can you post a pic giving a more overall view ?