Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Catalonia Independence

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Catalonia Independence

Old 22-10-2017, 12:48   #121
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Catalonia Independence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If the referendum was unconstitutional then it's not undemocratic to ignore it. The police were heavy handed but that won't be the first time a police force in the EU has misbehaved, including the UK.
If any rights have been violated then I guess people can take legal proceedings up with the Spanish state. But ultimately it's a political situation that needs sorting out in Spain. I'm sure friendly countries will be willing to assist in the way that they did in Northern Ireland, although we are not blessed with the same calibre of politicians now as we did for the Northern Ireland peace talks.
Conveniently ruled unconstitutional.

Still against the basic EU principle... "stable institutions guaranteeing democracy"

Key word underlined.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2017, 12:56   #122
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Conveniently ruled unconstitutional.

Still against the basic EU principle... "stable institutions guaranteeing democracy"

Key word underlined.
What do you really suggest Spain does? Obviously, talk and not send in the police are what it should have done on Day 1. But do you think it should follow an unconstitutional referendum? That sets a bit of a dangerous precedent. Do you believe it is undemocratic to obey an unconstitutional referendum?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 13:41   #123
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What do you really suggest Spain does? Obviously, talk and not send in the police are what it should have done on Day 1. But do you think it should follow an unconstitutional referendum? That sets a bit of a dangerous precedent. Do you believe it is undemocratic to obey an unconstitutional referendum?
I do not agree with Spain's approach.

The Catalonia Referendum on Independence, wasn't classified as illegal right up until the eve of the vote. Why allow such a process to build up so much momentum, people campaigning etc, mass rallies of people in the street?

Spain panicked and thought, "crap, we cannot lose one of our key financial support areas", I wouldn't put it past the EU to lean on Spain to go in heavy handed, the EU's lack of empathy towards old people being dragged and pushed to the ground by Spain's Militia, which by the way breached a key clause of membership of the EU of basic human rights violations, it was totally disgusting and you still love and want to be associated with these EU pissants.
Old 22-10-2017, 13:53   #124
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

The Catalonia Referendum on Independence, wasn't classified as illegal right up until the eve of the vote. Why allow such a process to build up so much momentum, people campaigning etc, mass rallies of people in the street?

Spain panicked and thought, "crap, we cannot lose one of our key financial support areas", I wouldn't put it past the EU to lean on Spain to go in heavy handed, the EU's lack of empathy towards old people being dragged and pushed to the ground by Spain's Militia, which by the way breached a key clause of membership of the EU of basic human rights violations, it was totally disgusting and you still love and want to be associated with these EU pissants.
The referendum was halted just days after the Catalan Parliament passed the bill: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-disobedience/

It was never seen as entirely legal right up to the eve of the vote. The position of Madrid has always been that it is illegal.

Quote:
The Spanish Constitutional Court last night suspended a referendum law that was approved on Wednesday by the Catalan parliament, blocking the way for an vote on independence from Spain. The law will be suspended while judges consider arguments that the vote breaches the country's constitution.
There is also an explanation as to why it's illegal here: https://www.economist.com/blogs/econ...st-explains-17

Quote:
Spain’s democratic constitution of 1978, which was approved by more than 90% of Catalan voters, gave wide autonomy to the regions but affirmed “the indissoluble unity of the Spanish nation”. Only the Spanish parliament can change the constitution. Mr Puigdemont’s referendum is therefore illegal, and Mariano Rajoy, Spain’s conservative prime minister, is determined to prevent it taking place.
But legal or not it's questionable if a region of a country can just declare independence without the approval of the parent nation. Is that really a precedent we want to set?

If a region of the UK, Scotland or Wales for example, suddenly decided to hold a referendum without permission from Westminster which they subsequently won would you approve of the EU demanding we recognise it?

I think they should offer a legal path to a referendum and they certainly should not have reacted so violently. In doing so they've only increased the support for independence both in Catalonia and around the world. This is a complicated issue though and within Catalonia the question was not settled and you can't have suddenly declarations of independence.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 13:54   #125
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Just because I feel that remaining in the EU is the least worse option for the UK in terms of funding public services, the economy and the country's global influence doesn't mean I love the Spanish police force. They've handled the situation very badly and I think politicians in Spain all need to sit round a table and sort it out.
As I asked before, "Do you believe it is undemocratic to obey an unconstitutional referendum?"
Old 22-10-2017, 14:37   #126
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Just because I feel that remaining in the EU is the least worse option for the UK in terms of funding public services, the economy and the country's global influence doesn't mean I love the Spanish police force. They've handled the situation very badly and I think politicians in Spain all need to sit round a table and sort it out.
As I asked before, "Do you believe it is undemocratic to obey an unconstitutional referendum?"
And as I said, conveniently unconstitutional.

And in reply to the underlined bit, I am not talking about Spain's police, I am talking about the EU.
Old 22-10-2017, 15:32   #127
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
And as I said, conveniently unconstitutional.

And in reply to the underlined bit, I am not talking about Spain's police, I am talking about the EU.
If you read the Economist article, you'll realise that your statement " The Catalonia Referendum on Independence, wasn't classified as illegal right up until the eve of the vote" is wrong.
Quote:
But there is a problem: Spain’s democratic constitution of 1978, which was approved by more than 90% of Catalan voters, gave wide autonomy to the regions but affirmed “the indissoluble unity of the Spanish nation”. Only the Spanish parliament can change the constitution. Mr Puigdemont’s referendum is therefore illegal, and Mariano Rajoy, Spain’s conservative prime minister, is determined to prevent it taking place.
And as others wiser then me have explained, you can't have any part of a country calling a referendum. That would be a recipe for chaos. They need to abide by the constitution of the country and that constitution will vary between sovereign states. Even if Canvey Island fancies a bit of independence. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/r...-a3660471.html
I've already explained my feelings on the EU.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 22-10-2017 at 15:39.
Old 22-10-2017, 16:33   #128
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I see Madrid's now contending that many of the images shown during and since the pre-referendum violence are fake:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-e...-pictures-fake

I'd like him to show us which ones they are and what proportion of the total they represent.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 16:53   #129
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

It is worth remembering how recently Spain actually became a democracy. This is not a nation with a long history of being an open democracy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Span...n_to_democracy
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 17:50   #130
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

note to self 40 years is not enough time to realise you live in a democracy
Old 26-10-2017, 13:58   #131
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Catalan leaders call election on 20th December.
Old 27-10-2017, 15:38   #132
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Catalonia has declared independence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41780116

Let's hope that, whatever else happens, there's no return to the violence of a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by Osem; 27-10-2017 at 15:44.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 15:42   #133
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

This is going to go well.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 16:07   #134
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

A civil war within the EU would be an interesting development
Old 27-10-2017, 16:50   #135
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

If they have declared independence, they are no longer part of the EU, nor of the euro. Let's watch them wriggle out of that one.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote