Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Additional box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Additional box

Old 21-08-2017, 18:04   #1
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Additional box

Is it still possible to get an additional TiVo added to my system?

I believe it is an extra £5 pm if it is possible.

Will I get all the channels I have on my V6 boxes on the TiVo?

I assume the TiVo would join the networked V6 boxes?

Additionally, could I view recordings on my V6 boxes through the TiVo? ( I have several recordings that I wish to save to DVD which is proving difficult as there is no scart output).

All replies much appreciated.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2017, 20:42   #2
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Additional box

I called VM's retention today and got a better broadband deal. Upon asking about the V6 box, I got that added for free to replace my TiVo. I asked how much it would cost to retain the TiVo, and was told it would be £7.50 a month. Well, I decided to do without as the additional 500Gb of TiVo storage would not be worth it.

You can watch recordings on the TiVo from the V6 if the TiVo is connected to your router directly via Ethernet cable.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 21:39   #3
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
I called VM's retention today and got a better broadband deal. Upon asking about the V6 box, I got that added for free to replace my TiVo. I asked how much it would cost to retain the TiVo, and was told it would be £7.50 a month. Well, I decided to do without as the additional 500Gb of TiVo storage would not be worth it.

You can watch recordings on the TiVo from the V6 if the TiVo is connected to your router directly via Ethernet cable.
Thanks for the reply.

Can you still get a TiVo box? I cannot find it anywhere on the virgin website.

Not worried about the extra storage as it is that small it is insignificant, I just need a solution to record some programs from the V6 onto DVD.

From my understanding of what you are saying

I could Ethernet the TiVo to the router (no problem)

Use the TiVo box to output V6 recordings to my DVD recorder.

This may have to happen if I cannot get a hdmi to scart converter that works.
Old 22-08-2017, 02:21   #4
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Use the TiVo box to output V6 recordings to my DVD recorder.

This may have to happen if I cannot get a hdmi to scart converter that works.
I think it's ridiculous that the V6 has no SCART output, so there is no easy way to record from the V6 to a DVD recorder. We've gone from V+ (two SCART sockets) to TiVo (one SCART socket) to none with the V6. I don't call this progress as I record a lot of programmes to my DVD recorder.

The solution is to get an HDMI splitter and an HDMI to SCART converter. I've been looking at these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-A...cart+converter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Conv...cart+converter
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 10:34   #5
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
I think it's ridiculous that the V6 has no SCART output, so there is no easy way to record from the V6 to a DVD recorder. We've gone from V+ (two SCART sockets) to TiVo (one SCART socket) to none with the V6. I don't call this progress as I record a lot of programmes to my DVD recorder.

The solution is to get an HDMI splitter and an HDMI to SCART converter. I've been looking at these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-A...cart+converter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Conv...cart+converter
Trying that route myself, got a splitter that works first hdmi to scart didn't work only gave a black & white picture - sent it back, awaiting a different one
Old 22-08-2017, 12:31   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

What is the purpose of wanting to record material to your DVD recorder when it's available to watch at your convenience on your V6 until you can get round to watching it?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 13:01   #7
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
What is the purpose of wanting to record material to your DVD recorder when it's available to watch at your convenience on your V6 until you can get round to watching it?

I like to record certain sports programmes to DVD as a permanent record for my personal use.

Of course I could keep them on the V6, but the small disk size is restrictive enough as it is without keeping recordings on there for ever.
Old 22-08-2017, 21:18   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I like to record certain sports programmes to DVD as a permanent record for my personal use.
Seems a bit of a faff, is it really worth it?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 00:30   #9
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Seems a bit of a faff, is it really worth it?

Another reason is to be able to download programmes to my iPad via DVD to watch when I am away from home.

Bearing in mind that every program I try to download direct has that option greyed out ( from a variety of channels) - not sure why this option exists as it never seems to work.