Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-07-2008, 13:08   #12706
Peter N

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by notophorm View Post
OH and I did seek legal advice through my Union membership which gives me free 30 minutes with a solicitor. I was told much the same as has been stated before by other members of this forum.
Big credit for that - getting free advice from the Union solicitor was a very nice move.

Advertisement
Old 25-07-2008, 13:14   #12707
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
Big credit for that - getting free advice from the Union solicitor was a very nice move.
Is it time a group of people start up a vouluntary help group bit like one that deals with helping small website owners fight larger companies using copyrighted content. Sure if one was started then we could try to get help from the EU just as other groups looking after the evironment, human rights etc.

Is it time to get more organised.
Old 25-07-2008, 13:23   #12708
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Is it time a group of people start up a vouluntary help group bit like one that deals with helping small website owners fight larger companies using copyrighted content. Sure if one was started then we could try to get help from the EU just as other groups looking after the evironment, human rights etc.

Is it time to get more organised.
I've given this a lot of thought, with help from friends and solicitors... Don't want to say too much else at this stage... But it is going to happen if Phorm is ever switched on again.

And BT/Phorm are in for a very unwelcome suprise too.

Old 25-07-2008, 13:30   #12709
Peter N

Regulars will know that I am very wary of us being seen as "organised".

I think that one of the strongest things working in our favour is that we are simply customers of the main ISPs who object to a new proposal that will affect our privacy. If we become a single voice then we lose that advantage and it just becomes a fight between two large groups and people may not identify with us in the same way.

My experience is that once a movement becomes "organised" it becomes seen as political and the accusations start to fly about the "real reasons" for any protests. We'd end up spending any air-time justifying our existence and most likely alienate the whole of Middle England who still smell commies at every turn.

I would have thought that these forums should suffice especially this one as it has the PM facility. It is also wide open to scrutiny and transparency is one of our key issues.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
I've given this a lot of thought, with help from friends and solicitors... Don't want to say too much else at this stage... But it is going to happen if Phorm is ever switched on again.

Consider my interest as thoroughly peaked...

Old 25-07-2008, 13:33   #12710
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Might even be worth looking at a registration fee to allow you to dsiplay a logo saying you are a partner to this body and any infringments would be dealt with...
Old 25-07-2008, 13:37   #12711
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:

i think that is a good idea as a sort of representaive body in general for webmaster with legal issues, phorm being one of many but i tend to agree with peter n

and this is diluting the topic

if you start anything pm me though

peter
Old 25-07-2008, 13:37   #12712
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Regulars will know that I am very wary of us being seen as "organised".

I think that one of the strongest things working in our favour is that we are simply customers of the main ISPs who object to a new proposal that will affect our privacy. If we become a single voice then we lose that advantage and it just becomes a fight between two large groups and people may not identify with us in the same way.

My experience is that once a movement becomes "organised" it becomes seen as political and the accusations start to fly about the "real reasons" for any protests. We'd end up spending any air-time justifying our existence and most likely alienate the whole of Middle England who still smell commies at every turn.

I would have thought that these forums should suffice especially this one as it has the PM facility. It is also wide open to scrutiny and transparency is one of our key issues.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Consider my interest as thoroughly peaked...
I know what you are saying and I wouldn't normally say get more organised but if Phorm does start to be rolled out vis all larger ISPs then small website developers, those with charity websites do need something. I would have said the ICO, ripa etc would do the job but sadly they seem to be lacking in vision, responsibility or understanding that or blindly led by the nose through all the BS.. MPO
Old 25-07-2008, 13:38   #12713
notophorm
Inactive

notophorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thank you,

I have a lot of copyright publications that has been given to me for free by the publishers and authors. They are on a secure section of the site, for the benefit of my members only.

One interesting point also came up..

Would the use of BT by implimenting the Phorm profiling system be an intent to breach website copyright?

Unfortunatly a test case may be needed to decide the answer to that one. A case could be taken forward before the system went live, and that case would be strengthened by the fact that as BT have publicly admitted profiling sites in 2006.

Unfortunatly a question was just raised in the session, and would be something for a more experienced solicitor would need to look at.

It is a nice warm cuddly feeling to know as a web master I have lots of rights in my favour.
Old 25-07-2008, 13:39   #12714
gnilddif
Inactive

gnilddif is on a distinguished roadgnilddif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
I certainly think they're relevant if they can be shown to be directly linked to the discussion at hand.

However (comma) if you want to discuss the intricacies of learning how to use and interpret traceroute, or if you want some help understanding how and why it works, then we have a wonderful (and quite friendly, if sometimes a little mad) 'Networking' section of Cable Forum which is just perfect for that sort of discussion.

You might even find that some of the techies who hang out there haven't been following this thread, but are able to give you some great advice on the subject of traceroutes
Fair enough - thanks for the link Rob.
gnilddif
Old 25-07-2008, 14:02   #12715
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnilddif View Post
Fair enough - thanks for the link Rob.
gnilddif
started a new thread over on the networking bit requesting help with route monitoring here .

will let you all know if anything turns up

peter
Old 25-07-2008, 14:22   #12716
Peter N

Quote:
I know what you are saying and I wouldn't normally say get more organised but if Phorm does start to be rolled out vis all larger ISPs then small website developers, those with charity websites do need something. I would have said the ICO, ripa etc would do the job but sadly they seem to be lacking in vision, responsibility or understanding that or blindly led by the nose through all the BS.. MPO
I'd say that it's another one of those back-boiler ideas - not needed just yet but it may be very useful later. At the moment we have nothing to fight in this way because the system is not in use and we don't know how it will be implemented when it finally raises it's head above the parrapets.

In the meantime pointing people to the existing forums and sites like The Register should suffice to raise awareness and maybe encourage some more people to take an active interest.

Dephormation Pete has a knack of being one step ahead of most of us so I'm going to sit back and wait to see his take on this. I suspect that it will be loud and proud whatever it is.

Old 25-07-2008, 14:47   #12717
Florence
Inactive

Have to agree with you Peter in the mean time keep plugging on slipping in the odd reminder and a mention of the marriage between British Telecom and Webwise/phorm seemed funny having a poster unregistered posting on ISPreview from France and knows about Phorm so we are getting the message far and wide...
Old 25-07-2008, 14:49   #12718
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see BT have extended the £29.99 reconnect offer to September.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=878915

Now if VM would have some bottle and state whether they intend to deploy phorm`s bot or not.
Old 25-07-2008, 15:00   #12719
Peter N

Quote:
Have to agree with you Peter in the mean time keep plugging on slipping in the odd reminder and a mention of the marriage between British Telecom and Webwise/phorm seemed funny having a poster unregistered posting on ISPreview from France and knows about Phorm so we are getting the message far and wide...
Did you see the link I posted a few days ago?

The Tehran Times has covered the story and I even found a link to it on the Iraq Museum International website of all places.

At this rate we may even see a story or two in the British press.

Speaking of which - anybody want to predict which football team will be sponsored by Phorm next season - my money is on Web Scam United.

Old 25-07-2008, 15:23   #12720
phpscott
Inactive

phpscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope will be a local team like the Walsall Webwise or Peterborough Phorm
Closed Thread