Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2017, 16:08   #3631
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, they need to be careful that they don't de-value their product.

It up-values Netflix. UK networks cancelling shows partway through the series is not uncommon; Netflix picking them up is great.

Suits, White Collar, Chuck spring to mind, and I know there are more.
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2017, 00:37   #3632
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Apple plans to spend $1billion next year on original programming

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ogramming.html

Netflix wins 'Scandal' creator Rhimes in blow to Disney, ABC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...s-Netflix.html
Old 22-08-2017, 16:59   #3633
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Netflix uk picked up the good place.
Old 25-08-2017, 09:22   #3634
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

This is a few months old but it's a good article on how some Americans are finding cord cutting more expensive than their old cable bills.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...htmlstory.html

I suppose it all comes down to what you want to do to watch and do you want a DVR. With Amazon launching their Amazon channels here in the UK, and charging around £5 per month for the likes of Discovery and Disney Life, I can see how this might happen in the UK also.
Old 25-08-2017, 10:07   #3635
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
This is a few months old but it's a good article on how some Americans are finding cord cutting more expensive than their old cable bills.

I suppose it all comes down to what you want to do to watch and do you want a DVR. With Amazon launching their Amazon channels here in the UK, and charging around £5 per month for the likes of Discovery and Disney Life, I can see how this might happen in the UK also.
The thing is, with a cable subscription, you need to pay out for the full package just to get the few channels you actually want to see. You can get more choice with a Freeview box and one OTT subscription, which will cost you far less.

I think people will coast between streaming options to get best value, given that there are no long contracts locking you in. You can still save money and increase your choice by combining Freeview with just one streaming service at a time.
Old 25-08-2017, 12:45   #3636
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Quote:
The thing is, with a cable subscription, you need to pay out for the full package just to get the few channels you actually want to see. You can get more choice with a Freeview box and one OTT subscription, which will cost you far less.

I think people will coast between streaming options to get best value, given that there are no long contracts locking you in. You can still save money and increase your choice by combining Freeview with just one streaming service at a time.
This article may also be relevant regarding American viewing and what OLD BOY said. It's quite funny reading how some people react to the concept of free TV.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...nna/ar-AApmLwm

Last edited by bubblegun; 25-08-2017 at 12:46. Reason: spelling
Old 25-08-2017, 13:47   #3637
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
This article may also be relevant regarding American viewing and what OLD BOY said. It's quite funny reading how some people react to the concept of free TV.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...nna/ar-AApmLwm
Thanks for the link. That was a good read. Nearly 1/3 of Americans totally clueless that they can watch TV free to air. No wonder cable and streaming has been big business in recent years. It's also interesting that youngsters might never have experienced free to air TV.
Old 26-08-2017, 00:45   #3638
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:

You could argue that in the UK we have already reached the point where OTT is as expensive if not more so than a cable/satellite package.

Lets take the most common OTT subscriptions as an example on a monthly basis....
If you were foolish enough to pay full price and not take advantage of vouchers or frequent offers with Now TV then to take the full package of movies, entertainment, kids and sports would be (if my maths is correct) £54.96, add in £7:49 for an HD Netflix subscription and £6:58 for Amazon Prime and you're looking at a pound and a few pence under 70 quid a month.
Factor in £20 a month for a basic internet connection or more likely £30 (at least) for a semi decent connection and you're not far short of £100 a month.

I've worked the above out on the most popular OTT services, I personally wouldn't have every Now TV package (not without offers anyway) but if my subscription costs were that much a month I'd rather pay that out so that the services I want could hopefully flourish and provide their wares for many years to come.
What I wont do ever again is pay that sort of amount each month to subsidise a load of rubbish just so I can have the channels and content I do want.
Old 26-08-2017, 11:12   #3639
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
What I wont do ever again is pay that sort of amount each month to subsidise a load of rubbish just so I can have the channels and content I do want.
I'd bet there's a load of stuff on Amazon, Netflix and NOW TV that you'd consider "a load of rubbish" too, yet you're paying for it. What's the difference?
Old 26-08-2017, 12:06   #3640
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I'd bet there's a load of stuff on Amazon, Netflix and NOW TV that you'd consider "a load of rubbish" too, yet you're paying for it. What's the difference?
I would liken Netflix and Amazon to subscribing to a premium channel, you're not going to like everything on that channel but its your choice whether to subscribe or not.
The pay tv model is to force you into paying for hundreds of channels in order to get the ones you want.

On another note I am experiencing one of the major downsides to relying on OTT services, when your internet goes down you're fubared!

Thank heavens for Three's unlimited 4G data which via my virtual router is now feeding my devices
Old 26-08-2017, 13:00   #3641
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I would liken Netflix and Amazon to subscribing to a premium channel, you're not going to like everything on that channel but its your choice whether to subscribe or not.
The pay tv model is to force you into paying for hundreds of channels in order to get the ones you want.

On another note I am experiencing one of the major downsides to relying on OTT services, when your internet goes down you're fubared!

Thank heavens for Three's unlimited 4G data which via my virtual router is now feeding my devices
I had that nightmare with Origin luckily i'm still with SKY for a couple of months and ofcom got involved with Origin broadband and forced them to allow me to leave without penalty.
With a much better provider now apart from the weekly drop out which is just my dynamic ip addy being changed i've had no issues.
Old 26-08-2017, 14:40   #3642
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think there is a big difference, spider. There is far more rubbish on the (non premium) pay channels and good stuff is hard to come by. Channel hopping is the most frustrating experience ever - absolutely nothing of merit on for most of the time. I have always prided myself at how I manage to retrieve a sufficient number of gems from the schedules to record, but this last year has seen a big reduction in shows worth recording. Most of my recordings (apart from the lifestyle programmes for my wife) are from free terrestrial channels and reside on my DVD recorder. Although both of my V6s are 80 to 90% full (with HD recordings) the number of good quality dramas on there is fairly sparse - very disappointing.

Whereas, it takes no time at all to rack up some jolly good stuff on Netflix and Amazon - so many hours of it, I'm never going to be able to watch it all.

That's why so many people are beginning to question the value of their pay tv packages. 200 odd channels and nothing on. And very expensive, at that.
Old 26-08-2017, 14:58   #3643
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
There is no difference.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Quote:
I think there is a big difference, spider. There is far more rubbish on the (non premium) pay channels and good stuff is hard to come by. Channel hopping is the most frustrating experience ever - absolutely nothing of merit on for most of the time. I have always prided myself at how I manage to retrieve a sufficient number of gems from the schedules to record, but this last year has seen a big reduction in shows worth recording. Most of my recordings (apart from the lifestyle programmes for my wife) are from free terrestrial channels and reside on my DVD recorder. Although both of my V6s are 80 to 90% full (with HD recordings) the number of good quality dramas on there is fairly sparse - very disappointing.

Whereas, it takes no time at all to rack up some jolly good stuff on Netflix and Amazon - so many hours of it, I'm never going to be able to watch it all.

That's why so many people are beginning to question the value of their pay tv packages. 200 odd channels and nothing on. And very expensive, at that.
Rubbish as open your eyes and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 26-08-2017, 15:17   #3644
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
There is no difference.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Rubbish as open your eyes and you might be pleasantly surprised.
I can assure you, Den, I scour the TV guide in a fine toothcomb.

You have a right to disagree with me, but I can't think what you must be watching. There has been a distinct reduction in programme quality in this last year on the pay tv channels.
Old 26-08-2017, 16:13   #3645
buckeye
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
There is no difference
I would argue there is a huge difference.
If I want to subscribe to premium content on pay TV I am forced to take a package of channels I do not want.
Those non premium channels have no incentive to attract me as a viewer because they are getting their guaranteed income from the pay TV provider from my subscription to a service I don't want.

With Netflix I choose to pay them my monthly subscription, if they don't produce content I want to watch then I simply cancel my sub.

For me Amazon is slightly different as I would have a Prime account anyway, but if you just wanted their video service then the principle I outlined above would hold true.

Further more I am not restricted to the pay TV operators propriety equipment in order to view OTT services.
Closed Thread