Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 13-04-2017, 11:34   #91
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Just checked the Virgin Media Wifi app on my phone and in my village it comes up with lots of light pink circles scattered around, so what does that mean?
Old 13-04-2017, 12:35   #92
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Just checked the Virgin Media Wifi app on my phone and in my village it comes up with lots of light pink circles scattered around, so what does that mean?
Means it's live in that village.

Can't see any pink circles around here yet, just the usual red markers for commercial hotspots.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 13:55   #93
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

The app won't run on a rooted device.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:16   #94
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
The app won't run on a rooted device.
Runs fine here?

Root status

No fancy rooting here, either.

Last edited by Kushan; 13-04-2017 at 14:21.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:42   #95
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Runs fine here?

Root status

No fancy rooting here, either.
I'll rephrase that then... The app won't run on my rooted device. Galaxy Note 4.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:51   #96
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Does it say it's not running DUE to root, or are you making an assumption about it not running?

Also are you running the right App? I remember the TV Anywhere app not working with root.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 17:29   #97
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMANUK View Post
After looking at the app and noticing that i'd have to change over 25 wifi devices as i use my ssid all one word as VIRGINMEDIA and VIRGINMEDIA 5G it stated change any with Virgin Media.

Since mine has a space but the app fails to get the profiles ive opted out if they was sn incentive for customers on a speedboost then id opt in. I only have 100 meg
When you install the wifi app when looking for profiles it shows an error with a message saying if you have ssids "virgin media", x_cloud and another one then change them.

Mine is VIRGINMEDIA and VIRGINMEDIA 5G as separated the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

My ssid does not have a space "VIRGINMEDIA" so isn't matching "Virgin Media" as it states. Until i change my ssid the app will not continue to do the profiing.

I have over 25 devices some smart hone devices and too much hassle to sort printers, consoles, tvs, amazon echo, dots, broaflink, tablets, phones to use wifi hotspot. So opted out.
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 23:19   #98
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What is the firmware revision for the Hub3 that has it?
It's the existing 'V' firmware.

Unlike the 2ac, the capability has been there for a while. Remember that Liberty Global already do this in Europe so the group wide kit has to be able to do it.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Quote:
Is there a setting we can turn on and off in the Hub3 settings?
The Hub opt out setting is in My Virgin Media, which it does say in both the communication and the help content.
Old 15-04-2017, 11:11   #99
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's the existing 'V' firmware.

Unlike the 2ac, the capability has been there for a while. Remember that Liberty Global already do this in Europe so the group wide kit has to be able to do it.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

The Hub opt out setting is in My Virgin Media, which it does say in both the communication and the help content.
I can't find the opt in opt out switch in my virginmedia, however i havent received an email saying it is active for me yet.
Old 15-04-2017, 12:30   #100
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

i had the letter and the opt out is in "My Profile" once you sign in

i opted out
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 12:44   #101
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I will stay opted in so i stand a chance of connecting to the internet when out and about.
Old 22-04-2017, 10:01   #102
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Just got back from a spring holiday in virgin-free St Ives to find a WiFi Network letter on my doorstep.

"Adding Virgin Media Hubs to our WiFi network won't affect the internet connection you pay for.

To add it to the network, we'll switch on a separate connection inside the Hub in your home. This means that the broadband you pay for stays exclusively yours, and remains secure."

The letter then goes on to say how you can opt out through your Virgin Media 'Profile' on line. No mention is made of 'modem-only mode' excluding customers from the WiFi network, nor is this mentioned in the opt in / opt out dialogue.

Does this mean that those of us who are using modem only need not worry and that VM have figured how to switch on the WiFi hotspot in modem only mode? What seems more likely is that VM can't be bothered to complicated their offer letter with such matters and will allow us free-spirited folk find out by bitter experience that we cannot access their new WiFi network.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 10:26   #103
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The opt out restrictions have been removed.

Broadband customers can use Virgin Media WiFi no matter which kit they have or in what state the kit is in.
Old 22-04-2017, 12:32   #104
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The opt out restrictions have been removed.

Broadband customers can use Virgin Media WiFi no matter which kit they have or in what state the kit is in.
Good news! So, even if VM cannot use my public WiFi hotspot cpacity because I am in modem-only, I can still benefit.

This was the only possible and reasonable outcome, given that 'modem only' is a built-in option used as a selling point. Watch out for VM firmware that makes modem only a more difficult option, that relies upon new customers not being that bothered about having their own routers.
Old 23-04-2017, 09:44   #105
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Today, given the advent of the extended Virgin WiFi network, I tried to configure the Virgin WiFi app on my Android so that it will connect automatically to Virgin hotspots. It failed.

A dialogue box announced that some other app was active on my phone seeking the same SSIDs as the Virgin app. It instructed me to uninstall any such apps.

"Please check you don't already have a profile containing SSIDs for 'Virgin Media', '_The Cloud X' or 'orq_wifi_x'.

I have searched for such profiles and can find none, although I do have the FON app which connects to FON and BT FON hotspots.

Any ideas / thoughts?

My initial thought is to ask whether VM WiFi is worth the hassle.

Last edited by roughbeast; 23-04-2017 at 09:47.