Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2014, 18:04   #796
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
But no problem with the fact that when you buy certain products, you're paying more than you need to because part of the cost is funding ITV Shows?
Go on, show me where I've said that.
Old 26-09-2014, 18:27   #797
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

If yout watch WWE then is no pretence that what you are watching is sport.

Their documentaries have made it clear that the title win can be determined a year in advance and story lines are produced with that in mind.

It is scripted storylines - just like Coronation Street / EastEnders - and 90% of all tv.

If you want to talk about 'fixing' then football, cricket and horse racing spings to mind - so of those events pretend to be undetermind in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its a total waste as we all know WWE is a total fix at the end of the day.
Old 26-09-2014, 18:30   #798
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
If you want to talk about 'fixing' then football, cricket and horse racing spings to mind!
I don't think that you can judge the above sports against WWE imo.
Old 26-09-2014, 18:35   #799
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I'm not saying they can't watch the product - they have every right to do so. But it's scripted entertainment, not sport. It can't be sport if there is no competitive element, and the competitive element in this instance is removed by it being scripted. So it has no place taking money from sports subscribers as far as I'm concerned. More to the point, WWE fans shouldn't have to pay a sports subscription to watch it! Put it on an entertainment channel and be honest about what it is.

I also have issues with the licence fee and the BBC in general.
Sky put it on Sports channels.

In the US it is NOT on sports channels - SyFy and USA Network show them.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I don't think that you can judge the above sports against WWE imo.
You said it was fixed - that implies it pretends to be real.

If you watch it you will see it makes it clear it is a show.

Sky confuse things by putting it on Sky Sports - which I expect it does as it can charge a premium for it.
Old 26-09-2014, 19:01   #800
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Go on, show me where I've said that.
As far as I know you haven't.

But your post seemed to suggest that you are against being forced to pay the licence fee to fund BBC content, but didn't mention ITV, which is an equally forced way; just not as directly obvious. I just questioned why you didn't mention ITV.
Old 26-09-2014, 20:02   #801
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Whether it is fixed or not, those guys are huge athletes and train very hard. Put it this way look how big they are, it is not like they can't hurt you, would you fight one of them? Many wrestles have broken multiple bones and had horrendous injuries and put their body through things that would make a normal human cringe.

I stopped watching a long time ago, it may not be a sport but if you enjoy it it doesn't really matter.
Old 26-09-2014, 23:16   #802
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
As far as I know you haven't.

But your post seemed to suggest that you are against being forced to pay the licence fee to fund BBC content, but didn't mention ITV, which is an equally forced way; just not as directly obvious. I just questioned why you didn't mention ITV.
Because I was replying directly to a post about the use of the licence fee.

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Sky put it on Sports channels.

In the US it is NOT on sports channels - SyFy and USA Network show them.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

You said it was fixed - that implies it pretends to be real.

If you watch it you will see it makes it clear it is a show.

Sky confuse things by putting it on Sky Sports - which I expect it does as it can charge a premium for it.
I'm not blaming WWE for it being on Sky Sports, I'm merely saying it shouldn't be.
Old 28-09-2014, 17:34   #803
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Roku has 4oD , Demand 5 , ITV Player , BBC IPlayer , Netflix , Now TV , YouTube the only major one missing sadly is Amazon Instant
There are posts on the internet suggesting that Sky are blocking this to stifle competition with Now TV. The suggestion is that their investment in Roku gives them that sort of clout. It does seem strange that Amazon Instant is on the US Roku. Netflix is there, but that was an existing app before Sky got involved with Roku.
Old 29-09-2014, 00:03   #804
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There are posts on the internet suggesting that Sky are blocking this to stifle competition with Now TV. The suggestion is that their investment in Roku gives them that sort of clout. It does seem strange that Amazon Instant is on the US Roku. Netflix is there, but that was an existing app before Sky got involved with Roku.
Could be the case who knows , I've also heard Roku are now looking for improved commercial deals with its channel owners so could as easily be that as I'd imagine Amazon would get high use meaning Roku may want a favourable deal.
Old 29-09-2014, 02:31   #805
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Could be the case who knows , I've also heard Roku are now looking for improved commercial deals with its channel owners so could as easily be that as I'd imagine Amazon would get high use meaning Roku may want a favourable deal.
I know Apple are negotiating deals direct with Networks in both usa and uk i wonder if this is the route ROKU and possibly Google will take too.
Old 29-09-2014, 10:06   #806
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Historically because of the Lovefilm acquisition, Amazon's streaming in the UK was via different tech to that in the USA. While that's no longer the case it may also explain why it didn't appear on the Roku boxes.
Old 29-09-2014, 10:15   #807
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Historically because of the Lovefilm acquisition, Amazon's streaming in the UK was via different tech to that in the USA. While that's no longer the case it may also explain why it didn't appear on the Roku boxes.
But Amazon Prime UK has been going long enough now for Roku to have ported the US app to a UK version if they wanted to.
Old 30-09-2014, 12:01   #808
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

WWE network launch in uk has been postponed http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/...own_Match.html
Old 30-09-2014, 21:23   #809
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting article about Netflix appearing on YouView , it also mentions talks to sign commercial agreements with BT and Talk Talk to bundle the service.

Story
Old 01-10-2014, 11:15   #810
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Not sure if this article will interest anyone, I found that it did not really go to into enough detail regarding the headline, but the headline is an interesting proposition none the less. Unless they offer all the extras you get from dvds/blurays, I will stick mainly to blurays.

http://www.empireonline.com/features...aming-services
The video streaming site Netflix will release its first feature-length film next year after striking a deal with the Weinstein Company.

Story
Closed Thread