Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20 Downstream provisioned Lisburn Area

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

20 Downstream provisioned Lisburn Area

Old 03-09-2017, 15:52   #1
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light
20 Downstream provisioned Lisburn Area

As title says, I've just been provisioned with 20 DS channels from approx. 02:00 am Saturday. We were 12 DS before. Still on 2 DS 16 QAM. New WAN side IP addressing as well. CMTS moved from RiverDelta to Cadant.
TBB is now a lovely shade of yellow ......
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2017, 18:10   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: 20 Downstream provisioned Lisburn Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
As title says, I've just been provisioned with 20 DS channels from approx. 02:00 am Saturday. We were 12 DS before. Still on 2 DS 16 QAM. New WAN side IP addressing as well. CMTS moved from RiverDelta to Cadant.
TBB is now a lovely shade of yellow ......
Hopefully the high utilisation in that area is finally fixed
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:30   #3
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Since the move to 20 x DS channels and 4 x US channels, I've actually noticed improved SNR performance. Rather than hanging around 35 when I had only 8 x DS channels, I am now around 37 which is a genuine improvement.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 13:04   #4
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Excellent. Changed from Motorola to being taken up the Arris.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 14:37   #5
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Hopefully the high utilisation in that area is finally fixed
Hope so, Lisburn was awarded one of the worst areas in the recent Thinkbroadband surveys. ....

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
LOL !

However if I understand the technologies correctly, the 2 US 16 QAM is a sign of upstream problems, possibly noise ? If it was good, we would get 64 QAM or am I talking pants .....
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 14:40   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
LOL !

However if I understand the technologies correctly, the 2 US 16 QAM is a sign of upstream problems, possibly noise ? If it was good, we would get 64 QAM or am I talking pants .....
Not really. What the access guys are doing with upstreams is a mystery to everyone. Loose cannons.

Chances are you'd be fine at 64QAM if they let it rip, they just haven't and load doesn't require it.

Almost everywhere should be at 4 x 64QAM by now ideally.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 23:34   #7
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Although Arris did purchase the Motorola Cable division quite a few years back, from Google. So technically only a name change!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57   #8
philipp
Inactive

Services: vivid 200. 3 tivos with all main channels.
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point

here in thornaby (stockton-on-tees)
we were on 3 x 64 QAM , 12 lockable ds cisco ubr before the update with congestion issues.
we then went on a 16 ds 2 16 qam ubr. congestion went for about 1 week.
we then went on to 24 ds. congestion went for about 2 weeks.

So I take it they need to split up the network even further...

I also think we have some upstream congestion as the packet loss / ping times is dependent on the upstream channels its locks on.

See the below graph (The total packet loss is me reseting trying to get on differnet upstream channels). There is no downloading or streaming taking place at these times either.

philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 14:42   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

My router rebooted yesterday (early evening !) and ive now gone from 20 to 24 channels down (all 256 qam), still only 2 up (64 qam).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 23:46   #10
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

The new arris UBR's have 24 D/S and every area will be getting them but VM will not switch all 24 channels on until needed, like my area that has 24 D/S there but they are only using 16 D/S