Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which iPad?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Which iPad?

Old 11-09-2017, 17:11   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Which iPad?

For me the advantage of a MiFi device is that is has it's own battery.

Also depending on the provider, a MiFi will work when roaming abroad, when tethering using your phone may not.
Old 11-09-2017, 18:25   #17
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's to force you to buy the next model. They deliberately bloat the applications over time to use up the memory. That's the penalty of buying an Apple product.
They don't actually do this. A number of developer releases over the last few years have been designed to reduce the app sizes and iOS releases have generally stayed within the same gb size for a while now too. iOS 9 and iOS 10 both reduced their sizes: http://bgr.com/2016/06/17/16gb-iphone-6s-ios-10/

They also give longer upgrade periods than most, if not all, Android phones. iOS 10 support goes as far back as the iPhone 5 (released 2012).

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
One other thing, will he need to use something like itunes if he's not bothered with music etc. and presumably any apps we purchase will be backed up via the app store as it is on Android's Google play store? I still don't know whether we'd need to oeprate the ipad via an email account of some sort so could someone clarify please? :
No need for iTunes. The iPad will back up everything if you want it to via the internet.

As people have pointed out the 'normal' 9.7inch iPad at 128gb is a good bet: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-9-7

What's it being used for? Just to make sure we can rule out the Pro range.

Also your Son would qualify for the educational discount: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse...itution/access

Last edited by Damien; 11-09-2017 at 18:34.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 19:42   #18
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

TVM for the feedback everyone.

Something else I just thought of. Given his severe problems he's not going to be able to set it all up himself so would it be best to do all that in my name so that if there are any problems or support needed I can deal with it rather than having to argue for ages that he can't do any of that?

Last edited by Osem; 11-09-2017 at 19:47.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 20:12   #19
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Something else I just thought of. Given his severe problems he's not going to be able to set it all up himself so would it be best to do all that in my name so that if there are any problems or support needed I can deal with it rather than having to argue for ages that he can't do any of that?
Yes. For some privacy focused features Apple will refuse to help IIRC. Unless you went with him to an Apple Store itself I guess.
Old 11-09-2017, 21:09   #20
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yes. For some privacy focused features Apple will refuse to help IIRC. Unless you went with him to an Apple Store itself I guess.
That's what we'll do then, set it up using my details etc. then just let him access it as he needs to.

I'd like to see them question him about anything - they'd wind up having to call security.
Old 11-09-2017, 21:20   #21
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

In answer you question before about accounts, Apple will let you create an Apple ID which will be used for associating Applications/Music/Contacts/Whatever to your account and also to do a full-backup of the device into the cloud. It will let you do that on set-up.
Old 11-09-2017, 22:03   #22
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

In answer you question before about accounts, Apple will let you create an Apple ID which will be used for associating Applications/Music/Contacts/Whatever to your account and also to do a full-backup of the device into the cloud. It will let you do that on set-up.
Thanks. I feel a learning experience coming on...

Old 11-09-2017, 23:50   #23
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Here is some parental control info if you need it https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201304
Old 12-09-2017, 13:32   #24
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Here is some parental control info if you need it https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201304
Cheers, that'll be handy. He's not going to be accessing anything dodgy, sending emails or whatever but I wouldn't want him to be able to inadvertently change settings. I suppose the best idea would be to let him access the tablet via his own user account then he can't get into any real problems.