Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2017, 16:31   #541
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
If they were moving to T2 in time for launch they really would need to say now to give those of us with old equipment to replace it.

A map of the proposed 700MHz move I saw had the most populated areas of Scotland switch in 2019 as I recall so this wouldn't help with space for most. The areas allocated for this this year cover mostly rural, low population areas in the north.
Those working in the industry seem to believe that the PSB SD channels will be switched off around 2020.

The carrot to upgrade to T2 was extra channels eg 4Seven +1HD, Channel +1 HD, then some existing channels moved over. The stick will be when people realise that they will lose channels 1 to 5 etc unless they upgrade.

Reminds me of the various DSO strategies.
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2017, 17:30   #542
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Ofcom 700MHz clearance rollout map

Ofcom_700MHz-clearance-rollout_map.jpg

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/700mhz_clearance
Old 24-02-2017, 19:52   #543
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The local channels for Basingstoke and Reading will be launched later this year, according to this article.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/02/e...singstoke.html

New local TV services for Basingstoke and Reading are expected to launch later this year and will appear on Freeview channel 7.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 24-02-2017 at 19:56.
Old 24-02-2017, 20:09   #544
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The local channels for Basingstoke and Reading will be launched later this year, according to this article.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/02/e...singstoke.html

New local TV services for Basingstoke and Reading are expected to launch later this year and will appear on Freeview channel 7.
Jesus H, how many tv channels do we need? You'd need to be up 24 hours a day seven days a week, with your eyes propped open with some sticks to watch all the crap that's coming our way!
Old 24-02-2017, 20:12   #545
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Jesus H, how many tv channels do we need? You'd need to be up 24 hours a day seven days a week, with your eyes propped open with some sticks to watch all the crap that's coming our way!
I'm afraid that crap is all we are likely to get with the local channels as well, if London Live is anything to go by.
Old 25-02-2017, 13:21   #546
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

People my age can remember the days when the seperate ITV companies used to make quality local programmes, such as "About Anglia" in our region. This was fine until they all got greedy & started buying eachother up. The government & OFCOM have tried to re-vitalise local programming, but on the cheap. You get what you pay for, & no one wants to put money into local programmes anymore.
Old 25-02-2017, 17:33   #547
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
People my age can remember the days when the seperate ITV companies used to make quality local programmes, such as "About Anglia" in our region. This was fine until they all got greedy & started buying eachother up. The government & OFCOM have tried to re-vitalise local programming, but on the cheap. You get what you pay for, & no one wants to put money into local programmes anymore.
Spot on, I used to enjoy the programs produced by Anglia, especially the nature ones and about Anglia.
Old 25-02-2017, 21:55   #548
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Spot on, I used to enjoy the programs produced by Anglia, especially the nature ones and about Anglia.
Naturist...............
Old 25-02-2017, 22:03   #549
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

HVC rumoured to be making a return (i wonder how many remember HVC from the telewest days?) anyway it will be free to full house and above customers and £5pm to other customers, content will be in HD and advert free.
Old 25-02-2017, 23:00   #550
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
HVC rumoured to be making a return (i wonder how many remember HVC from the telewest days?) anyway it will be free to full house and above customers and £5pm to other customers, content will be in HD and advert free.
Don't think that will happen. I'm sure the company went bust about 20 years ago.
Old 25-02-2017, 23:45   #551
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Don't think that will happen. I'm sure the company went bust about 20 years ago.
They did but nothing stopping someone from purchasing the name "home video channel" which the rumour suggests viacom have done, as i said though it's a rumour i'm waiting for a reliable source to get back to me about this.
If memory serves me you purchased HVC and the Adult channel was thrown in too.
Obviously this time around the adult channel won't be included lol.
Old 26-02-2017, 10:52   #552
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I think that 'Home Video Channel' still exists an entity from the original company..

The 'HVC' film channel was sold and merged into another film channel - but the HVC company itself went on to launch The Adult Channel.

I think even to this day - those who purchase programming from 'The Adult Channel' see 'Home Video Channel' on their statements.

Perhaps they are involved or have released the name to somebody else.

Last edited by ozsat; 26-02-2017 at 10:57.
Old 26-02-2017, 12:19   #553
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Interesting. Do tell us if you establish that this would be exclusive to Virgin Media and the type of programming it will carry.
Old 26-02-2017, 12:34   #554
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I think that 'Home Video Channel' still exists an entity from the original company..

The 'HVC' film channel was sold and merged into another film channel - but the HVC company itself went on to launch The Adult Channel.

I think even to this day - those who purchase programming from 'The Adult Channel' see 'Home Video Channel' on their statements.

Perhaps they are involved or have released the name to somebody else.
Could be yes.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Interesting. Do tell us if you establish that this would be exclusive to Virgin Media and the type of programming it will carry.
We think it'll be a VM exclusive as it was exclusive to Telewest before (don't know about NTL and others).
Old 26-02-2017, 12:53   #555
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

'HMV' was a biked service for Croydon Cable and another I think. These were taken over by Telewest.

It did crop up for distribution on satellite for a short time.
Closed Thread