Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

Old 29-11-2011, 17:47   #1
andrew.shearman
Inactive

andrew.shearman is an unknown quantity at this point
Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

hi I would like the iphone 4 s if I cut my sim to a micro size and use the iphone 4 s can virgin cut me off or is it ok to do this?

Andrew
andrew.shearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2011, 17:56   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
re: Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.shearman View Post
hi I would like the iphone 4 s if I cut my sim to a micro size and use the iphone 4 s can virgin cut me off or is it ok to do this?

Andrew
I dont think it will work unless the phone is unlocked for any network !

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 18:05   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

It's ok
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 18:24   #4
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I use an iPhone 4 with my virgin sim
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:30   #5
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Well that is good then, but it is better if Virgin officaly sells the iphone 4s
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:40   #6
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Can't see that happening any time soon.
Old 29-11-2011, 19:52   #7
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Can't see that happening any time soon.
What a shame!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:57   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

It doesn't really bother me to be honest, but that is a discussion for a whole (existing) thread.
Old 30-11-2011, 16:22   #9
bridgarw
Inactive

bridgarw is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone confirm that they have cut a Virgin Mobile sim which is working properly in an iPhone 4S?

My husband has a new iPhone 4S bought Unlocked and Sim Free from Apple. I cut down his new Virgin Mobile Sim card and it seemed to work just fine, but then he noticed it was dropping the connection, sometimes saying Invalid Sim sometimes just searching for a network. It also does not work properly with his old, cut down Orange PAYG sim (same problems). However, it does work properly with a cut down 3 sim (this was my practice cut). I cut all the Sims using the same cutter. The 3 sim has a much smaller area of shiny gold - the Orange and VM sims extends all the way to the edge.

I can confirm that I have been using my own Virgin Mobile Sim for a year in an iPhone 4 and that it has worked without a problem (except now with the Orange network connection there is no 3G so solved this problem by switching off Automatic in Network settings and choosing Virgin from the list).

Is there anyone successfully using a VM Sim in a 4S?

Thanks.
bridgarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 16:26   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

Andrew, I have altered the title of the thread as the original implied that the iPhone 4S does work on the Virgin Mobile network, where as you are asking if it does.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 22:55   #11
marbo
Inactive

marbo is an unknown quantity at this point

My iPhone 4s would not work on my virgin mobile contract. I also kept getting invalid sim message. The same sim card worked perfectly on my iphone4.
I got a newer replacement sim card but still the same error. I then had the phone itself replaced but still no joy.
I gave up as i had spent hours on the phone trying to sort the problem. Now I've got a much better deal with tesco and it works perfectly now.

Good luck......
marbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 14:39   #12
bridgarw
Inactive

Marbo,

Thank you - this really helped us decide what to do and saved a lot of time. I had already made an appointment as a Genius bar for this morning, so we went along and explained the problem. Our Genius was very helpful and said we should try a new iPhone as it might work better with the VM sim card. It dropped the connection and we had the Invalid Sim message again within twenty minutes.
So, we are now going your route - picked up a Tesco Sim and a T Mobile Sim on the way home to try both before deciding which to sign up with.
Tried the T Mobile Sim first (as it has £5 credit on it) and it is working just fine so far (couple of hours now). The gold area on the Sim is much smaller than on the VM Sim so no part of it touches the iPhone sim tray.
I will try the Tesco Sim later. I am cutting these myself but know I can get a Micro Sim from both Tesco and T Mobile if my cut versions have problems - wish VM provided micro sims....
Old 02-12-2011, 11:59   #13
peter1963
Inactive

Services: BB M, TV M, Phone XL.
peter1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Just seen this thread. I bought an iPhone 4S a couple of weeks ago and have given up trying to get any consistant service with a virgin sim. Since Tuesday I have been using GiffGaff ( which use O2 network ) with no problems. They sent me a cut down sim as well, which was good. Hope this saves other people time and frustration.
peter1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 18:24   #14
bridgarw
Inactive

So that is at least three iPhone 4S that do not work with a VM Sim, so people wanting them will need to choose a different network - my husband is now on Tesco as they do offer a good deal. In case it is helps anyone else, I found that T Mobile, Three and Tesco sims all work properly in the iPhone 4S (all cut down versions of regular sims although if you are patient enough you can order a micro version).
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02   #15
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
I read elsewhere that some of the functions such as call waiting aren't supported by tesco
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote