Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin launch a range of Android handsets

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin launch a range of Android handsets

Old 17-03-2010, 10:06   #1
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Virgin launch a range of Android handsets

http://bit.ly/bDumn6

Hot on the heels of the recently launched LG InTouch Max, Virgin Media has secured a range of new Android™ handsets for customers looking for the best in mobile entertainment and browsing on the move. With thousands of apps, widgets and games, handsets based on Google’s Android phone operating system have been taking the UK by storm and Virgin Media has secured some of the latest and greatest to date.

Including HTC Desire and Sony Ericsson X10
Old 17-03-2010, 11:46   #2
Acidphire21
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media M Telephone, L Broadband, XL TV Sky Sports Package + 2nd Box
Acidphire21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin launch a range of Android handsets

REALLY want to get a X10 now

Does it actually have the sliding keyboard that it was expected to have?
Acidphire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 16:26   #3
webrosc
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+, XXL BB, XL Phone
webrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enough

thanks for this info ben, more reason for me to swap to virgin me thinks
webrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 16:38   #4
zing_deleted

The HTC looks nice . The devs are trying to get android ported to the HD2 hope they manage.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

http://www.htc.com/www/product/desir...ification.html

impressive spec list on the HTC
1 ghz cpu
576 meg ram
gotta add microsd storage though
internal sat nav
Gsensor
proximity sensor
ambient light sensor
compass

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...a_x10-2964.php

SE

same cpu
better camera
no g sensor though
no sat nav
bigger screen but no LED

I personally theink the HTC wins
Old 17-03-2010, 17:13   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I currently have the HTC HD2 after swapping from the Palm Pre due to various issues, and am really interested in the Desire. Similar specs to the HD2 but smaller screen and Android instead of the horrible Win Mo 6.5 which is the only problem I have with the HD2.
Old 17-03-2010, 18:30   #6
zing_deleted

hows the android phone gonna be different? its still got sense so its the same front end and winmo 6.5.* has an easy to use scrolling menu behind sense hardly any different to android afaik so you hardly see any win mo stuff
Old 17-03-2010, 19:53   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well simply for the better OS. There are still plenty of Apps that still have the Win Mo interface and they suck, ie outlook and all the settings once you get passed the flashy Sense. Also the Windows Marketplace is rubbish.

Sense only covers so much. Once you get into to the programs and most of the settings its still plain old Mon Mob and looks the same as it did 3 years ago. The scrolling menu is only on the main 'desktop' screen.
Old 17-03-2010, 20:11   #8
zing_deleted

then why did you get that phone? if as you say you have experience of win mo and didnt like it then and all the reviews written by win mo haters say its still the same why pick that phone? if you like Android so much why didnt you get an Android phone?

I like win mo I chose a win mo phone I certainly would not get a phone with an os on I dont like seems crazy???
Old 17-03-2010, 20:43   #9
musicbravo
Inactive

Services: Virgin v+ xl TV Virgin M Broadband and phone
musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
The HTC looks nice . The devs are trying to get android ported to the HD2 hope they manage.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...a_x10-2964.php

SE

same cpu
better camera
no g sensor though
no sat nav
bigger screen but no LED

I personally theink the HTC wins
If you are going to use a manufacturer as a source for one phone (The HTC) then at least use the SE website to get the correct specs for the X10.

The X10 does have sat nav via a free trial provided by wisepilot and then after that you should be able to use google maps for android which supports turn by turn. This is further backed up by one of SE's own demo videos which demonstrates augmented reality (This relies on GPS for accuracy). As for LED do you mean on the camera? In which case no it doesn't but what it does have is a photo light which although LED based is a bit brighter.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/pulse/as...10/X10_PRO.pdf -Source from manufacturers website
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...10?cc=gb&lc=en - Offical X10 webpage

I think most android phones actually are on a level playing field and it all depends what specific hardware features you are after that could make the difference
musicbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 20:48   #10
zing_deleted

I did look at the SE site but was confronted with a flash interface that I could not be bothered to look beyond.

HTC has a OLED screen which is enough to win it for me
Old 17-03-2010, 20:51   #11
musicbravo
Inactive

musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

What the LED screen would win you over on its own????
Battery life is better on the X10 despite having a TFT screen
Old 17-03-2010, 20:53   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I did look at the SE site but was confronted with a flash interface that I could not be bothered to look beyond.
It does not have sat nav it has assisted sat nav where as the HTC has an internal antenna
I though A-GPS is GPS that uses the mobile phone network to speed up the fix time thats all. It's still got an internal antenna
Old 17-03-2010, 20:55   #13
zing_deleted

yes I edited out

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbravo View Post
What the LED screen would win you over on its own????
Battery life is better on the X10 despite having a TFT screen
with the other features yes it would

Battery life on the HTC will be improved by new radio installs. Also the HTC will have a lot of Devs working to improve it
Old 17-03-2010, 20:59   #14
musicbravo
Inactive

Basically I think my next phone will be the X10, been following its progress for months and along with the HTC and the Droid they look like cracking units. Also wait for Mr jobs to spit his dummy out again as he is currently trying to sue HTC over copyright infringment (as a back handed way of getting at google for getting HTC to build the Nexus 1 (this bit is purely my speculation))
Old 17-03-2010, 21:00   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

I'm going to go for the Desire. From what I've read the Sense UI is better than the tweaks Sony have done.

Also at the moment I think the X10 is still running Android 1.6 whereas the Desire is launching with 2.1

EDIT: 6,666th post