Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | T-Mobile and Orange to merge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

T-Mobile and Orange to merge

Old 25-09-2009, 00:18   #31
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k
Re: T-Mobile and Orange to merge

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
It will take a while before you see any changes.

Also what will happen to emergency services and International operator?
for the ES they will still be provided by BT as per every other operator in the country as per the goverment!
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2009, 15:26   #32
Euromancer
Inactive

Euromancer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have had my HTC Touch HD since May and I still cannot get Orange maps which is part of my package, I have rung so many times, they always fob me off some bs reason as to why it's not working this time and promise a return call which they never give. I have asked them twice now to cancel contract on grounds of failure to provide the service paid for and they just refuse to accept responsibility, funny thing is I had thought of going to T-Mobile when/if I took Orange to small claims court. Not any more!
Euromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 14:29   #33
musicbravo
Inactive

Services: Virgin v+ xl TV Virgin M Broadband and phone
musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

Orange and T-Mobile Merger News

Virgin have got new contract and this should help to improve pricing and flexibility
musicbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 19:45   #34
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solventcandy View Post
for the ES they will still be provided by BT as per every other operator in the country as per the goverment!
Its also provided by Cable and Wireless as previously stated, on Virgin phone lines,T-Mobile phones and Virgin Mobile phones.

Orange on the other hand is provided by BT
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06   #35
teletubies58
Permanently Banned

teletubies58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this info Ben maybe now Apple will have a rethink about giving exclusivity to O2 for the iphone as O2 will no longer be the biggest operator.
teletubies58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:41   #36
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Its also provided by Cable and Wireless as previously stated, on Virgin phone lines,T-Mobile phones and Virgin Mobile phones.

Orange on the other hand is provided by BT
BT holds the contract for 999 and no one else!
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 20:16   #37
musicbravo
Inactive

musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teletubies58 View Post
Thanks for this info Ben maybe now Apple will have a rethink about giving exclusivity to O2 for the iphone as O2 will no longer be the biggest operator.
I am assuming you mean future iphones? As the ihone is available on Orange now and will be available on Vodaphone after Crimbo
Old 12-11-2009, 20:37   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbravo View Post
I am assuming you mean future iphones? As the ihone is available on Orange now and will be available on Vodaphone after Crimbo
irishguymcr's post was made way back at the beginning of September, about three weeks before the Orange/iPhone tie-up was announced.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 15:53   #39
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Well it's been approved http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8543683.stm
Old 01-03-2010, 17:54   #40
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

The European Commission said certain steps must be taken to protect the UK's smallest network operator, 3

What steps are to be taken? Whats going to happen with the 2G sharing agreement, will they continue to use Orange 2G or will they also be allowed to now use T-Mobile 2G too?
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:16   #41
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

More technical details here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03...ange_approved/

Specifically, T-Orange will be handing over 30MHz of the 120MHz the combined company holds at 1800MHz, and has signed a deal with 3UK which binds the new entity into maintaining the shared network
Old 01-03-2010, 19:19   #42
musicbravo
Inactive

Read Ben's link, does this mean Orange and T-Mobile will consolidate their masts to produce better coverage or maintain all masts with just reduced frequencies?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:40   #43
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

If 3uk are so small, then why do they provide the best 3g connection in the uk?
How soon will this merge go ahead, would it be worth keeping my virgn mbile account going hoping for a better signal One day. My account is due for renewel next month.
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27   #44
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61 View Post
If 3uk are so small, then why do they provide the best 3g connection in the uk?
How soon will this merge go ahead, would it be worth keeping my virgn mbile account going hoping for a better signal One day. My account is due for renewel next month.
T-Mobile and 3 recently merged there 3G infrastructure, I know it has been completed in the South of England, so Virgin/T-Mobile customers will have the same 3G network coverage as 3 customers.

Unfortunetly, T-Mobile 2G remains the same for now and won't be merged with Orange's 2G network for a while, in fact it will take 18 months after the merge is completed before they even trade as one big company, therefore you are looking at 2 to 3 years. In fact, it might not be worth merging the 2G networks since more and more people are upgrading to 3G phones, In japan,2G no longer exists!

I had trouble getting 3G coverage in one side of my home on 3 and T-Mobile, since it merged, I have at least 3 bars of 3G network coverage in the blackspot side of my home.

The Orange 3G infrastructure will probably be merged into MBNL(T-Mobile/3) 3G infrastructure.

MBNL is the 50/50 joint venture company owned by Hutchison 3G UK and T-Mobile UK which owns and maintains the 3G sites used by 3 and T-Mobile, as Virgin Mobile uses T-Mobile's network, Virgin Mobile customers recieve the same level of network coverage from it. T

The 2G sites owned by T-Mobile remain the same, 3 have no 2G infrastructure and use Orange 2G where 3G isn't available, this is part of a contracted lease. 3 formerly used the O2 network, but switched to Orange in 2006.

When the merger of 3 and T-Mobile 3G infrastructure is complete and there 3G coverage reaches 99%, I would expect 3 to run advertising campaigns and heavily invest in new phones and advertising to win over customers. That maybe the reason why 3 don't offer the iphone yet, they have learned that offering a service which isn't ready yet, does not satisfy customers, when 3 launched in the UK, the network coverage was very incomplete and offered poor service, now is the time to join 3 as the reception is much better.

Which has the largest 3G network, Orange or 3?

Well, the answer is 3, despite the recent advertising campaigns by Orange, 3 offers the widest 3G coverage in the UK,Why? Because they have more 3G masts then Orange and since the merger of 3 and T-Mobile 3G infrastructure hasn't been completed yet, its fair to say that 3 offers the widest 3G coverage. Orange claim they offer the widest 3G coverage for one reason, the fact that they cover the most towns and cities and villages, however, that does not mean you will get decent 3G coverage indoors or in certain buildings. By putting a 3G mast in every town,village and city, Orange is allowed to make that claim. Its kind of misleading.

When the the merge of 3 and T-Mobile's 3G infrastructure is complete, 3,T-Mobile and Virgin Mobile will offer the widest 3G coverage and when the merge of Orange and T-Mobile's business is completed, 3,T-Mobile,Virgin and Orange will leave O2,Tesco,Asda and Vodafone looking pretty outdated.

The solution for O2 and Vodafone is to merge its 3G infrastructure with each other to offer a similar level of service.
Old 02-03-2010, 15:13   #45
m419
Inactive

There is still a chance that the merger of T-Mobile and Orange may be blocked if 3 and the UK's competition commision get there way according to the news articles though.

However, I think the merger maybe good for 3 as people will look to 3 as an alternative, I know a lot of people that hate Orange and T-Mobile with a passion, but when it comes to spectrum, thats where 3 should be worried, increasing costs to frighten off customers away from 3 would be Orange/T-Mobile's first task.

I mean phones like Nokia N97 are being offered by 3 on dirt cheap tariffs, When or if the iPhone range comes to 3 UK, the prices will make Orange,Vodafone and O2 look like con artists.

I will certainly take up the iphone 3GS on 3 if/when it comes out.

1.Free 3 to 3 calls
2. Free Skype
3. Unimited Texts
4.Fast downloads and mobile internet
5.Free voicemail
6. Generous amount of minutes to call other networks

Appeals to me because

1.I know around 8 people that I regularly call who are on 3.
2. I use Skype a lot
3. I don't like the idea of paying extra for voicemail when its basically a robot
4.Low cost calls to 08 numbers, no way am I paying T-Mobile 40p per minute!
5. Network capacity on Vodafone,O2,Orange and T-Mobile tends to be smaller, it always takes time to load up pages when surfing the net on your phone.