Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung Galaxy S3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Samsung Galaxy S3

Old 06-05-2012, 12:38   #31
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3

Ive placed my order with O2 store and collect it on release day if i get time if not i will be going to get it on 30th May
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2012, 22:26   #32
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

I have the option to get the S3 although I'm still on a long contract.
But I cant honestly see why I would want to go from an S2 to the S3. More real estate yes. But faster than an S2 to make a difference? I doubt it.
I have seen benches on Utube (Nenamark & Quadrant) for HTC One X which is a quad & it is no faster than my phone.
Also how many apps are optimized for dual core let alone a quad?
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 23:34   #33
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

This is actually a concern I have with Android.

I know from past experience that Apple have been very good at encouraging people to use the hardware in their devices to it's fullest. Right from encouraging people to use the accelerometer (something which Nokia failed to do with the N95) through to the retina display, bluetooth support etc.

Samsung have added a lot of nice features to this phone (display res, fast start camera, quad core CPU etc), but how effective are they at persuading the app developers to use it? From talking to friends with extensive experience in parallel programming, it's relatively easy to code for a dual core CPU. When you increase the amount of cores beyond two, though, coding gets a lot harder. As such, I don't think there will be many apps that make full use of all four cores.

That also occurs in desktop OSes, but with desktop OSes, you are likely to be running applications in the background that will make use of the extra processing power.

People tend not to multitask in that way on phones.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 17:15   #34
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Ordered my GS3 last night from Phones 4U on Vodafone. Free phone for £36 a month. Including a free official case and a 32Gb mem card. Can't wait
Old 19-05-2012, 01:47   #35
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Don't want an S3 - but I'm thinking of getting an S2 so I'm holding out until the prices drop as the newer version comes out
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 14:11   #36
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I have now got the day of work when it comes out so i can get it on launch day. If im awake i might even go to O2 store for 8am. The contract i want i get the phone for free of i can pay £20 for the phone and get a slightly better contract at same price, oh and hen i will also buy a case for it.
Old 19-05-2012, 22:02   #37
sczoo19
Inactive

Services: Broadband, Forums
sczoo19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think its in June time all the shops are now advertising and you can now 'pre-order' so shouldn't be to long.. anyone getting one?

I love my iPhone to much really... you think its gonna be better?
sczoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 23:01   #38
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It's being released on the 30th May, I have ordered and will be getting mine delivered on that date.
Old 20-05-2012, 20:14   #39
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's being released on the 30th May, I have ordered and will be getting mine delivered on that date.
I thought it was 29th which was a Tuesday but been looking around
and some places say 30th May. I will ring up my local O2store tomorrow and check with them.

Look at link below (was the live blog) and look for time 19:55:
http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-rumours
Old 20-05-2012, 20:30   #40
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

From what I have seen everywhere is selling from the 30th, however if you ordered from Samsungs store in Westfield then you can pick up after 6pm on the 29th May.
Old 20-05-2012, 22:05   #41
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
From what I have seen everywhere is selling from the 30th, however if you ordered from Samsungs store in Westfield then you can pick up after 6pm on the 29th May.
I have ordered from O2 store for a new contract. I will ring O2 store tomorrow
Old 21-05-2012, 10:20   #42
nstokes
Inactive

Looks like its the 29th. I tweeted O2 this morning and what they said was
Quote:
@O2: @Stokesy1987 it's coming on the 29th of May and you can pre-order as well (http://t.co/1TGNWebp)
Old 21-05-2012, 12:34   #43
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Phones 4 U confirmed via twitter to me that I will recieve the handset on the 30th.

Quote:
Phones 4u@Phones4u
@steve5424 Hi Steve. You should receive this on the 30th yes. Thanks for choosing to order us - we really appreciate it! Liz
Old 21-05-2012, 12:39   #44
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
Phones 4 U confirmed via twitter to me that I will recieve the handset on the 30th.
Thats not could, we have both got conflicting info. I am unable to ring the O2 store today so will have to ring them tomorrow. Wonder why we are getting conflicting info? Samsung tweeted that it is 29th if you pre order from Samsung store. Seems strange that its conflicting info
Old 21-05-2012, 13:50   #45
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Well it's only a day early if you order direct from Samsung. Am sure 90% of the networks are releasing on the 30th. Or at least delivering orders for the 30th.