Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 28-01-2010, 20:33   #61
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
re: The Apple iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
I wonder what the accesibility is like. If it has a decent zoom and screen reader I'll be happy I do like the look of the mac zoom and screen reader.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

My dad has an iPhone and an iPod touch - go figure
I used to have an iPod, an iTouch, and an iPhone (a friend gave me the iPod 80GB as a thank you gift, I won the iTouch, and got the iPhone as a work phone).

Used to have - my son has the iPod, and my daughter the iTouch.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-01-2010, 20:35   #62
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
Yes but isnt the iphone OS so heavily cut down cmopared to OSX Its like comparing windows mobile 5 to windows 7. I meant more like the slightly cut down tablet editions and netbook editions of windows and some linux distros.
And yes I do agree about microsoft, I'm still waiting for the windows desktop thingy to become standard hardware, I think they predicted a 2010/2011 release and from what I hear that's nowhere near likely (Though It was nice to see it have a cameo in Quantum of Solace).
Having used a tablet PC (admittedly running XP Tablet Edition) for me the standard desktop UI doesn't work very well on a touch-oriented device. While I believe the iPad definitely has room for improvement (I'm interested to see what's to come when iPhone OS 4 arrives; the iPad is running v3.2 apparently, just the standard iPhone OS with a few tweaks for the new features) I think it's a better fit for this type of device than the desktop OS X GUI would have been. Manipulating normal windows and controls would just be too fiddly with a touch interface, whereas the restrictions of the iPhone interface has made developers to come up with some very intuitive ways of interacting with the software.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 20:42   #63
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

All I'm gonna say is this.....

If it is running the same OS as the iPhone for your own sake please don't put anything important on it
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 20:43   #64
Lew
Inactive

Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

An iPad-enabled version of this game could be quite fun.
Old 28-01-2010, 20:48   #65
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

ipadphone.jpg

This made me laugh

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 20:50   #66
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
All I'm gonna say is this.....

If it is running the same OS as the iPhone for your own sake please don't put anything important on it
Why?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 00:21   #67
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Well the launch is 2 months off and a lot can change in that time. I do like all the apple bashing though it's quite funny. Just because the sony netbook sized laptops used to be £2k plus never stopped me wanting one. After using an iphone since the launch of the 2g I think I could definitely find a use for this. I could leave my Laptop for proper work and configure it as such and then have this for pootling on the web down stairs on the couch. I was pondering a tv for the bedroom as I quite often watch iplayer on the iphone in bed on cold hungover mornings and this would improve that no end. (Yes I know I could go hunt my laptop and wait 5 minutes for it to boot and then go hunt the charger etc..). Going to be plenty more 'meaty' apps for this come launch and a lot more productivity stuff. I can see me doing tech calls with this and wandering round like I'm in Star Trek ;-).
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 02:57   #68
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Hitler responds to the iPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0...layer_embedded

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:18   #69
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:24   #70
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
Very funny :-)
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:46   #71
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Brilliant.

Some good points, though. It's clearly designed for consuming the web - so why no Flash? That means no Youtube and none of the nonsense Mrs T loves to play about with on Farcebook. That one single omission renders the thing useless in our house. Otherwise, at anything under £400 we would almost certainly have bought one at some point.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:53   #72
Lew
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Brilliant.

Some good points, though. It's clearly designed for consuming the web - so why no Flash? That means no Youtube…
Because…

1: Steve Jobs is a control freak.
2: Flash is a buggy, insecure piece of crap.
3: Adobe couldn't code a decent version of Flash on non-Windows platforms if their lives depended on it.

As for the no YouTube problem, they're beta-testing an HTML5/h.264 version at the moment, which works fine. That, plus the YouTube app that comes as standard on every iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/features/
Quote:
YouTube

The YouTube app organises videos so they’re really easy to see and navigate. To watch one, you just tap it. When you’re watching in landscape, the video will automatically play in full screen. And with its high-resolution display, the latest YouTube HD videos will look amazing on iPad.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

BTW, the Apple UK site now has an iPad page.

Unfortunately…
Quote:
Please note, pricing is in US dollars. International pricing will be announced at a later date.
Old 30-01-2010, 11:10   #73
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Has everyone seen all the very funny youtube productions and blogs around the web..There is one youtube I loved but can't link to because it is so tasteless...
Old 30-01-2010, 11:18   #74
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Has everyone seen all the very funny youtube productions and blogs around the web..There is one youtube I loved but can't link to because it is so tasteless...
I'm guessing a google for Itampon will bring it up though
Old 30-01-2010, 13:10   #75
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
I'm guessing a google for Itampon will bring it up though
Could be..but I suspect there maybe more than one..