Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cable tv not working correctly

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The perfect hd picture

Old 02-01-2008, 21:52   #1
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack
The perfect hd picture

Okay we every one has different tv sets but say for hd what is the perfect settings color,contrast ect for hd broadcasts it got me thinking as i have a disc with halo 3 regarding setting up for hd colors and things like that.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2008, 22:22   #2
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of
Re: The perfect hd picture

Im not big on HD (Mainly because I havent got a HD TV) but when Ive had the opportunity to get a split seconds look at the 720i output on the V+, compaired to the rest, Ive liked that.

Dunno why, just looks good.
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 22:29   #3
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

No TV set is the same so even on the same exact model the settings could be slightly different.

Normally most have the brightness too high and the contrast too high. Many discs have a THX setup that you can use to set the screen properly and now many TVs remember different settings for different sources as the output of the video card in the HD box is different to that on the DVD etc.

So I set up the DVD with the THX disc and then approximate the other sources to look the same.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 22:38   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

We'v found that 720 is better than 1080, as it appears slightly blurry, on our LG 32LX2R
Old 03-01-2008, 01:37   #5
nicke261192
Inactive

Services: 1 V+ Box, 1 V Box, XL TV, L Broadband, L Phone, Sony Erricson C902 Vodafone Contract
nicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to nicke261192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
We'v found that 720 is better than 1080, as it appears slightly blurry, on our LG 32LX2R
That will proberbly be because your tv is a 720p tv and if you set the v,+ settings to 1080i then your getting an interlaced picture not a progressive one that is setting is mainly designed for a more high quality "full hd" tv (1080p)
nicke261192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:47   #6
gc10360
Inactive

Services: VM XL phone & BB - sky HD - SONY bravia 52W4000 LCDTV HD DVD & BLU RAY XBox 360 ONKYO 605 HD Reci
gc10360 is on a distinguished roadgc10360 is on a distinguished road

I've run both settings on my 1080p set and still the 720p setting looks better.
gc10360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 16:58   #7
nicke261192
Inactive

Services: 1 V+ Box, 1 V Box, XL TV, L Broadband, L Phone, Sony Erricson C902 Vodafone Contract
nicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to nicke261192

Thats proberbly because BBC HD is 720p and if you set your v+ box to output in 1080i then the SD pictures are being stretched far too much
nicke261192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 17:26   #8
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Funny, how the manufacturers push you lot to buy a 1080p TV which is "Full HD" but the only things that take full advantage is consoles.

I mean, TV is a LONG way off distributing pictures in that format, so why pay all that money for it, when 6 months down the line, itll be half price?

Good ol' scart still does the trick for me, though. Problem is, when youve only got 2 scart places, and 3 scart equipments, then you start finding other ways to free up a port.

Thats what I did with the V+ Box. (Even if the DVI to HDMI thing didnt work. )

One day, these 50inch HD 1080p TVs are gonna be £400. And thats when Im gonna pick one up! :P
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 17:42   #9
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post
Funny, how the manufacturers push you lot to buy a 1080p TV which is "Full HD" but the only things that take full advantage is consoles.

I mean, TV is a LONG way off distributing pictures in that format, so why pay all that money for it, when 6 months down the line, itll be half price?
and HD DVD / Blu-ray. Broadcast is broadcasting 1080i which for slower moving imagery is pretty impressive and well you only need 1080p for really big screens at close viewing distance.
Old 03-01-2008, 18:34   #10
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
and HD DVD / Blu-ray. Broadcast is broadcasting 1080i which for slower moving imagery is pretty impressive and well you only need 1080p for really big screens at close viewing distance.
Thats not true. 1080p screens at a smaller size like the Sharp 1080p 32" is great for 1080p viewing. Its just you have to sit closer to smaller screens (about 4ft at 32") to be able to see the benefit of 1080p.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 18:37   #11
SMHarman
Inactive

Which is the point I was badly making. Most people won't be sitting 4ft or closer to their 32in screen. People may be sitting at 6ft or closer to a 54 or 60in screen.
Old 03-01-2008, 18:43   #12
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Which is the point I was badly making. Most people won't be sitting 4ft or closer to their 32in screen. People may be sitting at 6ft or closer to a 54 or 60in screen.
It was really bad then, plenty of people would sit 4ft from a 322 in a bedroom, so 1080p, would be great for them.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:33   #13
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

I bought a Bravia KDL-32D3000 (mainly for the PS3 and not the V+, it has to be said) and the picture is pretty perfect with my V+ at 720. I just had to tone down the colour a little on the TV input, as flesh tones kinda glowed at me!

For the PS3 input, though, I left the settings as they were, and the colour and picture quality are astounding. I got the Spider-man Trilogy on Blu-ray for Christmas, and when I watched it I was in awe - the colours are gorgeous!
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37   #14
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post

Good ol' scart still does the trick for me, though. Problem is, when youve only got 2 scart places, and 3 scart equipments, then you start finding other ways to free up a port.

Thats what I did with the V+ Box. (Even if the DVI to HDMI thing didnt work. )

One day, these 50inch HD 1080p TVs are gonna be £400. And thats when Im gonna pick one up! :P
Well said! It will be YEARS before they broadcast REAL HD ie 1080p. Any time I've seen hd at my local Comet (large superstore) it looks no different to my ordinary telly at home!<br/><br/>
Yes I know it might not be setup or whatever, but if they are seriously trying to flog it why would it not have a "proper" hd feed?<br/><br/>
Besides who has the bandwidth? $ky get picture breakup and pixellating on ordinary pictures. HD has at least 4 times the pixels have they magically found 4x the bandwidth on the transmission side?
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 18:06   #15
Quikkie
Inactive

Quikkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, dunno if this is the right thread but I'll ask anyway.

Jus bought a new DVD cinema system and the 2 highest options are 720p or 1080i. Which is the best option to choose? Is it as simple as seeing that 1080 is the higher number? (Probably a stupid question).

Thanx in advance!
Quikkie is offline   Reply With Quote