Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oh no!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Oh no!

Old 08-05-2012, 20:51   #1
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Daz/Teeside is on a distinguished roadDaz/Teeside is on a distinguished road
Oh no!

Disaster I have managed to cut through my telephone cable whilst gardening tonight.
Any ideas what I will be charged for repair/replace?
Its severed at the brown box outside not under ground.
Daz/Teeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2012, 20:54   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Oh no!

How deep are the cables buried, are they in any sort of conduit?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 20:55   #3
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

It's severed at the box, not underground...
Old 08-05-2012, 20:56   #4
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Yes but if it was severed while gardening I presume it was yanked tight, or is this not the case?
Old 08-05-2012, 20:59   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I think the OP needs to be a bit more specific about what happened, so we can determine if it's a sub-par install.
Old 08-05-2012, 21:00   #6
Graham M
-

Correct, hence my question
Old 08-05-2012, 21:24   #7
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Ok sorry about that here we go......... Where the black cable leaves the ground/soil and would normally enter the brown virgin box about 3-4 inches above ground is where I have chopped it. It looks like this cable was spliced/joined by the two blue coloured wires in the brown box to a white standard telephone cable that runs to the socket inside the house.
This black telephone cable that I have cut runs along side my original TV/internet cable that as now obsolete. A new TV/internet cable was laid several years ago and inside the brown box is a second cable that runs along side it that looks like a telephone cable but this doesn't look like it has ever been connected?
Hope that makes sense??
Old 08-05-2012, 21:41   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

How did you manage to chop the cable?
Old 08-05-2012, 21:50   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
How did you manage to chop the cable?
Gardening :P .... easily done when using shears i have come close a few times when it is hidden in long grass.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 22:07   #10
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Unhappy Re: Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Gardening :P .... easily done when using shears i have come close a few times when it is hidden in long grass.

Spot on!
Old 08-05-2012, 22:08   #11
danielf
cf.mega poser

Presumably, the cable should be tacked to the wall to avoid this?
Old 08-05-2012, 22:11   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Presumably, the cable should be tacked to the wall to avoid this?
At the very bottom mine isn't as the hole it comes from is a few inches away from the wall.

Sorry OP no idea on the cost to get it fixed but i think it will be atleast £50.
Old 08-05-2012, 22:16   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
At the very bottom mine isn't as the hole it comes from is a few inches away from the wall.

Sorry OP no idea on the cost to get it fixed but i think it will be atleast £50.
But shouldn't that bit be in a conduit?

What I'm trying to determine is if the cable was properly installed. It it wasn't (thereby increasing the likelihood of it being cut), VM should not charge the OP anything.
Old 08-05-2012, 22:18   #14
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Quote:
Exactly that few inches from wall.
Old 08-05-2012, 22:34   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
But shouldn't that bit be in a conduit?

What I'm trying to determine is if the cable was properly installed. It it wasn't (thereby increasing the likelihood of it being cut), VM should not charge the OP anything.
They're just bare wires around my way, and i had a repull a few months ago and they never added a conduit, what i should do is protect my cable with something before something similar happens.

Daz best thing to do is phone VM just after 8am to try and avoid getting India and explain your situation.