Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Job interview with JET2....help needed!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Any RC Helicopter Pilots on CF?

Old 26-12-2008, 17:44   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Any RC Helicopter Pilots on CF?

Just curious really

Wondered if there were any RC helicopter pilots on Cable Forum?

Would be interested to hear how you got started, how long ago you started, what you're flying now, that sort of thing

Would be particularly interested in hearing about your experiences learning the ropes, any hints and tips you might have for a beginner, any thoughts on good types/models of RC Helicopter for beginners.

Would also be keen to hear of any online sellers that you would recommend for spares/supplies

Why am I asking?

Well, the family clubbed together and got me a little RC helicopter this Christmas (I've always been a bit of a closet pilot, and not having the money to go get proper lessons this is probably as close as I'm going to get to the real thing ), I've had great fun over the last few days and can now get it to hover roughly in the same place for sustained periods of time. I'm starting to feel like I'm making some good progress, unfortunately the bird's grounded for repairs (ummm.....a small accident with the floor has made this necessary, she's flying still but the handling's way off ) but as soon as I can get to a model shop for some spares I'll be off again
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2008, 17:53   #2
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: Any RC Helicopter Pilots on CF?

darn it now thats something else i want to go any buy

the only thing i know that might help ( my nephews are the rc know it alls ) is that you can get a skirt thing that help prevent those accidents with the ground

other than that good luck while i look jealously on from the corner
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 17:55   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Yeah, I saw those (but only after it was too late ).

To be honest I've kind of got the hang of it now, I think the thing that's holding me back is that the minor damage to the controlling surfaces (slight nick on one blade, probable bent rotor shaft) is making the thing incredibly jumpy so it seems to be fighting me all the time. After I've repaired it and set it back up properly again it should be a piece of cake
Old 26-12-2008, 18:40   #4
zing_deleted

I want one of the cheapo jobbies but from reading reviews one thats only about 17 quid flies so high if you mess up you smash it to peices

I am looking at something like

http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/gad...icoinsect/8200

or this

http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/gad...icopter-/11943

to start with also they may be cheap on the market tomorrow I may pick on up
Old 26-12-2008, 18:53   #5
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I had one from play.com a couple of years ago, and it was great fun whilst it lasted, which was only 2 days before it had to be send back for a refund.

Every time I crash it (impossible not to crash) it weakened it till the rotor loosened to a point where it wouldn't fly.

I'd love to try a full sized model though.
Old 26-12-2008, 18:56   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

My partner recently sold her Raptor with loads of mods (previously owned by Tony Reese)... I'm personally into fixed wing with a few powered gliders and a couple of trainers...

BUT might be building something special soon
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 19:15   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

You may enjoy this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VKLrR2xQr30
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 19:21   #8
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I've got a Silverlit Pico Z - great fun to fly. I'd love to get my hands on a bigger chopper...
Old 26-12-2008, 19:51   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
My partner recently sold her Raptor with loads of mods (previously owned by Tony Reese)... I'm personally into fixed wing with a few powered gliders and a couple of trainers...

BUT might be building something special soon
Cool

Mine's not that complicated I don't think, but the Raptors look kinda smart

Mine's one of these:

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...%20-%20Twister

I'm so addicted at the moment that once I've mastered this one I just know I'm going to want something bigger and better

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Very cool, nice link

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
I've got a Silverlit Pico Z - great fun to fly. I'd love to get my hands on a bigger chopper...

Wouldn't we all
Old 26-12-2008, 20:14   #10
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

My 5 year old got one of these yesterday

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3401677

http://www.danbartoys.com/usd/nano-c...d-assault.html

It's very delicate and more of an older teen/adult toy even though it says 8+. He's very good at flying it though, but the downside is you can't really steer it, it tends to just spin, even though it does have left-right control.

Other downside is, when it's just been charged it's very sensitive and tends to just go straight into the ceiling, unless you can master it, which my son seems to have.

I wonder if we can tweak it to be more controllable, it does say you can trim it if it goes left/right too much but i haven't sussed it out yet.
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 20:20   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

That looks like a lot of fun Pia
Old 26-12-2008, 20:25   #12
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

I get most of my info etc. from This Site

I have a sim that I am practising on before splashing out on a Honeybee.
Old 26-12-2008, 20:36   #13
Raistlin
Inactive

Nice link, thanks
Old 26-12-2008, 20:48   #14
zing_deleted

so as someone who has never had a go would you buy a good one first or a cheap pants one to destroy?
Old 26-12-2008, 20:53   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The cheap ones are actually a lot harder than the dearer ones...mainly due to the better ones having some sort of gyro...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote