Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Alternative to Hitron CGNV4-BIZ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Alternative to Hitron CGNV4-BIZ

Old 03-12-2016, 10:57   #1
AJSG1969
Inactive

AJSG1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternative to Hitron CGNV4-BIZ

I, like many, have had a very dissatifying and expensive experience using the Virgin 200mb line with the Hitron Router.

Faults are mainly with the Static IP not working, but mostly the undocumented VPN throttling above 20-25mb.

I was wondering if anyone out there has been able to use a diffrent make router? For my BT Backup line I use a Vigor 120.

I have a CCR1016 sitting behind it trying to connect to my work CCR1036 and the VPN is shockingly bad.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.
AJSG1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2016, 14:38   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Alternative to Hitron CGNV4-BIZ

I have the Hitron with the 200 Mb/s business service and routed subnet option from VM Business. I'd be interested in your problems with static IP - I haven't experienced problems myself....
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 16:40   #3
AJSG1969
Inactive

Where to start, basically it all went wrong when we realised we couldn't VPN the London (Virgin) site to the London (Colt Fibre) site.

We would get huge throttling issues, but relly poorly implemented so it would result in packet losses and the VPN would fail.

Spent 4 months arguing with Virgin, they sent us down the MTU route so we spend hours tracing this and that in wireshark with no result.

The removal of the static IP fixed some of the basic MTU issues but the VPN side is still non functional. We have to limit PPTP to 20-25mb, above that and Big Brother thinks we are streaming bootlegged films so kills the connection.

In the end Virgin simply stopped responding.
Old 03-12-2016, 18:34   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Interesting - I am running VPN successfully through the Hitron, but not needing to pull much traffic it has to be said.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 20:24   #5
AJSG1969
Inactive

We get around it by creating a rule for certain IP addresses so they are channeled through the PPTP tunnel, for example the phone, one of the PCs and a NAS. All other traffic is routed to the Internet.

Tunnel is limited to 25mb at the moment, but sometimes we have to drop it to 20mb if too many packets are dropped.

I've attached the profile for the Virgin connection and one of the work backup ones which are 100/100.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2.PNG (168.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png 1.PNG (76.0 KB, 14 views)