Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin phone left me up the creek with no paddle

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Virgin phone left me up the creek with no paddle

Old 17-11-2016, 00:49   #1
David H
cf.member

Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin phone left me up the creek with no paddle

I got a call on my mobile this afternoon to tell me the landline was out. It's dead besides a sound on the line which sounds like someone's left the phone of the hook in another room. It's not the sockets as I've taken each phone out, so called the operator who said I'd need an engineer. In five days. So regardless of my situation, and the fact our bills have gone up by 5-10% a year the service is now like what you'd expect in a backward country.

I will definitely be sending this straight to the top, how can we pay top rates for rental and get bargain basement service? What if I was in business or housebound? They simply let people have no telephone at all for five days and sod you? Something has to change, I will also be calling the radio about this and without any joy for the company will follow up with the newspapers.

Meanwhile thank goodness the broadband works as I need that every day, and the TV, and it's clearly only my line as the operator checked it. Any clues what the symptoms point to, any tips I could try myself to get it back on?
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2016, 01:16   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin phone left me up the creek with no paddle

Unfortunately, sometimes there are no earlier available dates for fixes to services. It is a residential service you have, which means that the fix will as soon as is possible.

You will be able to get a credit for the days without your landline once it's confirmed as fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
What if I was in business or housebound? They simply let people have no telephone at all for five days and sod you?
If you had a business line, then you're paying for a specific agreements for a fix time. It's why business lines cost more than residential ones.

If you're housebound and are registered with Virgin Media as needed the line for medical or other accessibility reasons, then you're given priority for landline issues (this doesn't extend to TV or broadband).
Quote:
Any clues what the symptoms point to, any tips I could try myself to get it back on?
By the sounds of it you've done all the checks that you can, anything else will require an engineer.

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-11-2016 at 01:20.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 01:20   #3
David H
cf.member

Thanks Ben, I'm watching a guide on Youtube now and have one or two more goes to try now. The last couple of times it packed up it fixed itself, one when an engineer was booked and the other was intermittent and kept going off a few times a day for a few weeks then fixed itself over a year ago. I doubt it's connected.
Old 19-11-2016, 23:35   #4
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
I got a call on my mobile this afternoon to tell me the landline was out. It's dead besides a sound on the line which sounds like someone's left the phone of the hook in another room. It's not the sockets as I've taken each phone out, so called the operator who said I'd need an engineer. In five days. So regardless of my situation, and the fact our bills have gone up by 5-10% a year the service is now like what you'd expect in a backward country.

I will definitely be sending this straight to the top, how can we pay top rates for rental and get bargain basement service? What if I was in business or housebound? They simply let people have no telephone at all for five days and sod you? Something has to change, I will also be calling the radio about this and without any joy for the company will follow up with the newspapers.

Meanwhile thank goodness the broadband works as I need that every day, and the TV, and it's clearly only my line as the operator checked it. Any clues what the symptoms point to, any tips I could try myself to get it back on?
Do what we did and cancel it, with 2 mobiles each with unlimited minutes we weren't prepared anymore to be leeched by the "line rental" which given the street was cabled around 20 years ago is long since paid for.
Old 19-11-2016, 23:50   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you don't use it then of course don't pay for it, but line rental doesn't just cover the physical kit, but also all the other costs associated with running the phone service.

Just as your monthly broadband cost isn't just for the Hub and the cables.
Old 20-11-2016, 12:54   #6
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Do what we did and cancel it, with 2 mobiles each with unlimited minutes we weren't prepared anymore to be leeched by the "line rental" which given the street was cabled around 20 years ago is long since paid for.
If everyone thought like you then Virgin would not be able to expand or improve their services... it takes all customer to pay their bills to move forward...
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 13:46   #7
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
If everyone thought like you then Virgin would not be able to expand or improve their services... it takes all customer to pay their bills to move forward...
Just finishing choking on "improve their services"

What I do think is a great idea albeit many many years late is companies being forced to include the line rental cost in the phone service price. Proper transparency in pricing.
Old 20-11-2016, 17:48   #8
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

What a fuss. The other week for the first time in over 20 years my VM landline went down. I went online and booked an engineer on the Saturday who came on the following Tuesday and fixed the connection with no problem..I have always found their phone service totally reliable. In fact it's been the most reliable of their services and far superior to BT whose telephone service used to be up and down faster than a tarts knickers.
Old 20-11-2016, 18:11   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
What a fuss. The other week for the first time in over 20 years my VM landline went down. I went online and booked an engineer on the Saturday who came on the following Tuesday and fixed the connection with no problem..I have always found their phone service totally reliable. In fact it's been the most reliable of their services and far superior to BT whose telephone service used to be up and down faster than a tarts knickers.
How would you know Maggy?... Unless you are an undercover tart!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 20:42   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
What I do think is a great idea albeit many many years late is companies being forced to include the line rental cost in the phone service price. Proper transparency in pricing.
Cable always used to advertise services as one price which included line rental but it didn't work because the pricing was then compared to the ex-line rental cost that other providers advertised with.

So VM had to change to the same way of advertising for consistency in comparisons.
Old 20-11-2016, 20:57   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Cable always used to advertise services as one price which included line rental but it didn't work because the pricing was then compared to the ex-line rental cost that other providers advertised with.

So VM had to change to the same way of advertising for consistency in comparisons.
Yup, things might change now that Vodaphone are advertising no line rental and including it in the overall cost justas VM used to do. The difference being they are making it a marketing ploy where VM did not.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 00:41   #12
David H
cf.member

Here's the first update, the guy came on Wednesday, said it was a ring trip and had to be fixed at the exchange which they did the following day. Six days later my phone went dead today and there isn't even any voltage as the phones light up when in use and they're not coming on this time. No faults for years and two in a week, or maybe something was loosened last time? Too much of a coincidence?
Old 01-12-2016, 23:01   #13
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Sounds like the first was a transmission fault and now a power fault. Without knowing what kit is used etc where you are it would be hard to tell
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 16:13   #14
David H
cf.member

Odd coincidence it packed up so quickly after the repair, but unlikely to be connected due to the delay. I wrote to the Virgin boss (not Richard) and although I haven't had a reply yet it miraculously came on today by accident. I'm sure none of them touched it as they'd be waiting to come on Tuesday. At least it's working anyway.