Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Investigatory powers act who will access my data?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Investigatory powers act who will access my data?

Old 09-12-2016, 17:41   #31
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: Investigatory powers act who will access my data?

well they can see which vpn i use now hope they enjoy the repeating one line of data now i just have to figure out how to convince my email providers that i am who i am with out waiting for pins to come to my phone lol
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2016, 10:30   #32
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Possible spanner in the works: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016...e_iOSApp_Other
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:48   #33
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

It's not that I object to the Act as such. I just want the list of who gets to examine the collected data is much more severely curtailed..
Old 21-12-2016, 12:14   #34
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
It's not that I object to the Act as such. I just want the list of who gets to examine the collected data is much more severely curtailed..
Agreed.

If it was restricted to security forces/Police plus no exemptions for MP's it would be much more palatable.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:41   #35
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post

If it was restricted to security forces/Police plus no exemptions for MP's it would be much more palatable.
Indeed. The list is far too long and there are some unsavoury organisations that will abuse the power for sure, especially local councils.
Old 21-12-2016, 13:23   #36
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I don't mind exemptions for MPs, they fall under the same category as lawyers in that regard. I do mind the list of authorities with access and it's without a warrant!! That the government has passed a bill that allows warrantless access to vast details of your life without much of a fuss being made is infuriating.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 13:52   #37
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Damien's post is confirmed. Good job we're leaving the EU ...

EU data retention ruling goes against UK government

Quote:
The ECJ has ruled that a "general and indiscriminate retention" of data is against EU law and can only be done under certain conditions and "solely for the purpose of fighting serious crime".
As Nigel said, "The people voted for freedom" ...
Old 21-12-2016, 14:36   #38
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
As Nigel said, "The people voted for freedom" ...
If we were out of the EU then the previous ruling by OUR high court would have been the determining one, not a foreign court. That would be freedom.

Quote:
The ruling by the ECJ came after the UK government had referred the case to its authority, having already lost the same argument in the UK's high court.
Source

They now plan to appeal to another EU court to try and overturn this judgement.

This should all be handled by our own courts, not a load of Jonny Foreigners.
Old 21-12-2016, 19:36   #39
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age

if the stack of friends pc / laptops i have helped put VPN'S on in the last month is anything to go by it wont make much difference either way
Old 21-12-2016, 21:02   #40
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdraig View Post
if the stack of friends pc / laptops i have helped put VPN'S on in the last month is anything to go by it wont make much difference either way
Sounds good, what VPN's are you using?
Old 21-12-2016, 21:42   #41
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

Nord mostly they had a fairly good deal and its easy and fairly fast but I have done a few free ones too "Hotspot Shield" though its not as fast but if your not downloading the internet its ok if a bit naggy with adds ( there is a way around that but not used it on any but mine to try it out) "Cyber Ghost" too though i would say shield is easier for less tecy people and those i have done them for just want their email bank stuff safe ( or so they tell me lol )
Old 21-12-2016, 22:26   #42
Glesga
Inactive

Glesga is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not too worried about police Scotland but I'm terrified by the food standards agency having access.

Its up to me how raw I like my steaks or how clatty my kitchen is!
Glesga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 14:36   #43
Gabriela
Inactive

Gabriela is an unknown quantity at this point

The police departments can access the call logs and websites data but GCHQ have more privileges such as hacking into suspects computer based on reasons only. Previously, a judicial grant was required to conduct such actions. But now, approval is required from the PM and specially appointed judge for warrants, additionally, they can bypass these authorizations if there is 'urgency. http://www.vpnlogics.com/uk-investig...wers-act-2016/' I think everything would be pretty much urgent from now on. The only thing we can do is to protect our online activities as much as possible.
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:22   #44
techguyone
Deus Vult

Legal challenge launched

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38565083