Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Milton Keynes Cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Milton Keynes Cable

Old 09-03-2009, 16:53   #31
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Milton Keynes Cable

Maybe BT has recently upgraded the network to Digital, however Virgin Media probably wont start the actual Digital service until they have rolled out TV on demand and trialled out the service properly.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2009, 22:31   #32
jonhunt2000
Inactive

jonhunt2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tonight I pulled the aerial out the wall, I still get all of the freeview channels, so it looks like I am just picking it up out of the ether. Theres a lot of cable in my house and a long way between the TV and the wall socket where it comes in, the equivelent to 6 stories of a house.

The signal is definately digital, as I am getting digital interfenece, its going blocky.

So I am going to dump the virgin stuff, buy myself an aerial, only problem is I now need another 8 freeview decoders :-(

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Have a look at this page. It tells you which Freeview channels are on which multiplex:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/mux/

If someone is experimenting with pushing Freeview DVB-T signals down the Milton Keynes Cable, then it's likely you will find you have all, or none, of the channels in any given multiplex. If you're receiving all BBC channels, plus Sky 3 and Dave, that suggests you may be receiving Muxes 1, B and C. However to prove this, check the list and let us know whether you are getting all the other TV and radio channels that are included in those Muxes.
I am getting 1 and C, albeit as my above post states through the ether, as I am getting these by just having a long coax to the telly, do you think I will get all feeds with an aerial, and also do I need to put it outside, or inside the roof, aerials on the roof are frowned on round here, in fact I have never seen one?

Thanks
jonhunt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 23:31   #33
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Odd, the Wolbane predictor says you need an amplified extra gain so unless there is a new local relay, or it IS on the cable and leaking like hell, then I can't see how you could pick it up while disconnected using just the flylead.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhunt2000 View Post
I am getting 1 and C, albeit as my above post states through the ether, as I am getting these by just having a long coax to the telly, do you think I will get all feeds with an aerial, and also do I need to put it outside, or inside the roof, aerials on the roof are frowned on round here, in fact I have never seen one?

Thanks
Stuff the hippies, you should get the biggest roof aerial you can afford, unless there are actually planning laws that make it impossible. Check with the council first.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25   #35
jonhunt2000
Inactive

jonhunt2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
Odd, the Wolbane predictor says you need an amplified extra gain so unless there is a new local relay, or it IS on the cable and leaking like hell, then I can't see how you could pick it up while disconnected using just the flylead.
I am quite high up, relatively speaking, and the cable goes up to the roof and back down again to all the tv's in the house, and its three stories.

I put my post code in the predictor and it is as you say
jonhunt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22   #36
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhunt2000 View Post
Tonight I pulled the aerial out the wall, I still get all of the freeview channels, so it looks like I am just picking it up out of the ether. Theres a lot of cable in my house and a long way between the TV and the wall socket where it comes in, the equivelent to 6 stories of a house.

The signal is definately digital, as I am getting digital interfenece, its going blocky.

So I am going to dump the virgin stuff, buy myself an aerial, only problem is I now need another 8 freeview decoders :-(

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Thanks
I would wait till Virgin launch there digital service, i suppose you could ask them when they are going to roll out digital on that special freephone number for the Milton Keynes area. It looks like Virgin will do it very soon since the switchover is literally round the corner.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:46   #37
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
I would wait till Virgin launch there digital service, i suppose you could ask them when they are going to roll out digital on that special freephone number for the Milton Keynes area. It looks like Virgin will do it very soon since the switchover is literally round the corner.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:16   #38
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Digital Switchover has NOTHING to do with Virgin supplying cable.

The whole country could switch over and Virgin could still run an analogue cable service.

There has also been nothing confirmed to say that Virgin and/or BT will be upgrading Milton Keynes to digital cable
Old 10-03-2009, 12:40   #39
m419
Inactive

Well, its really down to the broadcasters, if Discovery or Sky want to stop broadcasting via analogue signals that means there will be nothing to watch!

It has to be upgraded soon otherwise BT will loose there tennant and Virgin will loose customers and residents will have less TV options!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:55   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Well, its really down to the broadcasters, if Discovery or Sky want to stop broadcasting via analogue signals that means there will be nothing to watch!

It has to be upgraded soon otherwise BT will loose there tennant and Virgin will loose customers and residents will have less TV options!
I think it unlikely that Discovery or Sky would give a damn what technology Virgin use to distribute their channels once they've paid for them.
Old 15-03-2009, 21:14   #41
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

The channels don't care what format the transmission takes. If they could find a way to do it, VM could use smoke signals for all the broadcasters care.

The move to digital tv was motivated by the platform providers (Sky + Cable) wish to reduce the bandwidth required by individual channels to enable them to fit more channels in the available bandwidth.

Now, with regard to mk, someone is going to have to spend millions upgrading that network. They might only have 10,000 customers in mk, so may not think it's in their interest to spend too much. Sometimes it is cheaper and more profitable to just lose some customers.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 15:48   #42
neilgl
Inactive

neilgl is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha
all the VM prices are going up from 1st May but NOT the analogue in Milton Keynes they said when I called them on the number in the letter.

Also, they are going to send me a letter saying I am exempt from paying £5 per month charge for NOT paying by DD and exempt from the £1.25 per month charge for having paper bills.

Regards
Neil
neilgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 15:58   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Yeah, that's ... hilarious.
Old 26-03-2009, 16:11   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I've not seen anything to say Milton Keynes customers will be exempt from the £1.25 paper bill fee. Will have to check that one.
Old 26-03-2009, 19:54   #45
neilgl
Inactive

neilgl is an unknown quantity at this point

If I get a letter I will post here
neilgl is offline   Reply With Quote