Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Engineer visit, help needed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Engineer visit, help needed?

Old 12-04-2012, 17:53   #16
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Engineer visit, help needed?

dunno try the adapter tomorrow
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 18:33   #17
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
dunno try the adapter tomorrow
Thanks all your help has been really appreciated.

I'm of out for the evening so will commence testing tomorrow once the guy has been. I will certainly try the adaptor if he will give me one. Fingers crossed.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:17   #18
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Virgin dont garuntee wifi speeds, I only do a wired test.

I don't see the point in him coming back, you've diagnosed you can get 100meg wired so the connection is fine. You have Tried two wifi devices with similar results its either wireless interference or your laptop, so there is nothing virgin can do about any of those issues
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 23:42   #19
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Don't ask me why it worked fine before and now that you have upgraded it is having problems.
Back when the old Superhub firmware allowed SSH access to the device, it was possible to monitor the CPU usage of the Superhub.

People observed that it had higher CPU usage on the higher tiers (as you might expect), but that even on the lower tiers (30mbps) it was reaching ~75% CPU utilisation.

Depending on how many connections that the Superhub is handling at a specific point in time, it's possible that it could become "overloaded" and that might cause:

a) Packets to be dropped
b) A Superhub reboot
c) Other bad symptoms

This might also be exacerbated by a slightly faulty Superhub or in a situation like hot weather where it could overheat.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 00:17   #20
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Virgin dont garuntee wifi speeds, I only do a wired test.

I don't see the point in him coming back, you've diagnosed you can get 100meg wired so the connection is fine. You have Tried two wifi devices with similar results its either wireless interference or your laptop, so there is nothing virgin can do about any of those issues
Sorry but I haven't tried two wifi devices, hence why he is coming back. I am fine if there is nothing more they can do but that's not the only reason for asking advice is it? Do you have any suggestions that help me or do you simply want me to stop posting as its not an issue with Virgin, as you say? Any other sites that can offer me advice on how I can get close to the speeds I pay virgin for, over wifi, using my mac? Sorry if I irritated you in anyway...
Old 13-04-2012, 00:57   #21
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I ment you've tried two wifi routers, It's great you have found a tech who is going beyond the call of duty to come back with another laptop and I wish you all the best in getting it resolved, since the 100meg has been in my area ive never seen anyone hit over 60meg wirelessly, yet will be interesting to see if you can improve it
Old 13-04-2012, 02:10   #22
gaz2810i
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I ment you've tried two wifi routers, It's great you have found a tech who is going beyond the call of duty to come back with another laptop and I wish you all the best in getting it resolved, since the 100meg has been in my area ive never seen anyone hit over 60meg wirelessly, yet will be interesting to see if you can improve it
So why was I able to get close to 50 meg when I was on the 50 meg tariff but now I am on 100 meg I still can only get get close to 50 meg?

I just don't get it? Is wifi capped at 50? is it even worth going to 100 if you only ever intend on using wifi?

I guess I am just expecting to much...
Old 13-04-2012, 09:34   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Back when the old Superhub firmware allowed SSH access to the device, it was possible to monitor the CPU usage of the Superhub.

People observed that it had higher CPU usage on the higher tiers (as you might expect), but that even on the lower tiers (30mbps) it was reaching ~75% CPU utilisation.

Depending on how many connections that the Superhub is handling at a specific point in time, it's possible that it could become "overloaded" and that might cause:

a) Packets to be dropped
b) A Superhub reboot
c) Other bad symptoms

This might also be exacerbated by a slightly faulty Superhub or in a situation like hot weather where it could overheat.
good point dude, I would love to give it a go thrashing on torrents and see what happens. Shows it isnt going to be able to handle 400mbit though.

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2810i View Post
Is wi-fi capped at 50?
Nope, but your speed can be dependant on a lot of things such as the environment you are in and interference, the type of adapter you are using in your laptop (802.11g is 54mbit) and what the shub/router is set at. You'll see the new 802.11n routers will say they can do up to 300mbit.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:41   #24
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

This is just an example of what can be achieved. I have streamed a video file from my NAS to the PC over a 1Gbit connection and get 11Mbits/sec and if I copy the file as well I can get the total speed up to 160Mbits/sec. Both 1 Gbit ports are connected on a swich so dont have to go to the router at all. If I do the same via wireless for the PC then the maximum rate I get is 52Mbits/sec (on a 802.11n card) the card properties state that its running at 144Mbps.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:57   #25
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

I have achieved 100Mbps speeds wirelessly with my SH in modem mode and using my Airport Extreme to a 2011 iMac.
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 13:57   #26
gaz2810i
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
I have achieved 100Mbps speeds wirelessly with my SH in modem mode and using my Airport Extreme to a 2011 iMac.
Would you recommend a Airport Xtreme?
Old 13-04-2012, 18:17   #27
jb66
cf.mega poster

I would, it's the best router I've ever seen, not tried it with 100meg yet
Old 13-04-2012, 19:57   #28
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

I wouldnt rate it above some other brands, to be honest I dont rate apple products at all
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 20:33   #29
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

me neither, i refuse to use anything of appleness
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 23:16   #30
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

its all mid ranged spec but severely overpriced - I avoid it like the plague
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote