Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What do you use your PS3 for?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

What do you use your PS3 for?

Old 17-02-2011, 19:52   #16
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100
Re: What do you use your PS3 for?

Take a look at this idiot destroying a ps3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWnfZQ7h6ck
Old 18-02-2011, 09:15   #17
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I just got a ps3 yesterday! How do i watch movies of my external hd on it. I plugged in my 320 gig into the usb and not sure what to do next.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 11:40   #18
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
I just got a ps3 yesterday! How do i watch movies of my external hd on it. I plugged in my 320 gig into the usb and not sure what to do next.
You have to create a folder in the root of the external drive called "VIDEO" (you will need folders for "PICTURE" and "MUSIC" if you plan to have them as well).

You can however get round this by pressing triangle and selecting display all on the drive under the appropriate secion on the PS3 to browse the drive.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 20:24   #19
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Do i have to format as a fat32? I read i had to. Would that be right?
Old 18-02-2011, 20:42   #20
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Yup, FAT32.

You can also stream videos & other media from your computer to the PS3.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 20:48   #21
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone and 50Mb BB , Tivo \m/
Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough

why dont you just stream movies from your pc to ps3 ??

i use this http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

works great !!
Bluffdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 22:43   #22
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

I thought about streaming, but then you'd need the pc on too right? Do usb sticks need to be formatted too?
Old 18-02-2011, 23:12   #23
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Yep, the PC would need to be on for it to be able to stream

USB sticks must be FAT32, just like HDDs.
Old 19-02-2011, 02:48   #24
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Matt (or anyone else) I've formatted the USB, and created a video directory on it. COpied some movies to the USB stick (8gig kingston data reader). Plugged it into the ps3, and the PS3finds the files fine. Displays all the correct details. However when i play it, its just a black screen. So when I display the film info (using the triangle button) the film length bar at the bottom right hand corner has 00:00:00 on either side - which indicates film on stick is 0 mins long.

I can watch movie fine on my laptop off the stick!

Can someone help!
Old 19-02-2011, 15:08   #25
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Which container & codec does it use?

The PS3 won't play *everything*.
Old 20-02-2011, 11:20   #26
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

I only use my PS3 for playing games, need a bigger TV if I plan on watching TV and using it for films and stuff.
Old 21-02-2011, 20:01   #27
Fitze73
Inactive

Services: 2 X Sky+HD 1x LG blu ray home cinema, PS3, XBox360,W
Fitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
I only use my PS3 for playing games, need a bigger TV if I plan on watching TV and using it for films and stuff.
whats your psn ill add u in
Fitze73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 20:14   #28
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

I'm the same as Matt. I use my PS3 for exclusives or media that doesn't work on my 360.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 02:11   #29
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

I use it mainly as a Blu-Ray player and to stream video to my lounge, and play the ocassional game (Drake Uncharted, Killzone). Prefer to game on my Xbox 360.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 14:04   #30
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffdemon View Post
why dont you just stream movies from your pc to ps3 ??
I bought an ASUS router with USB, flashed it with DD-WRT and installed mediatomb.

Its a lot of faffing around but it does mean I dont have to have a PC on constantly and its all hidden away.
It workd ok for what I need and I can also get to the drive from any other machine on my LAN..
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote