Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RT-N66u not capable of 300mbps?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

RT-N66u not capable of 300mbps?

Old 19-09-2017, 10:24   #1
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road
Question RT-N66u not capable of 300mbps?

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to the 300mbps service. However I think I'm finding that my Asus RT-N66u is unable to handle that speed as it seems to limit at 230ish (and I can see CPU on the router is maxxed out).

Documentation suggests it should be able to handle that speed however posts on other forums say the cpu is too weak.

Has anyone else got the same router working with 300mbps?

If not, can anyone recommend an upgrade that can support 300mbps (and ideally be further futureproofed for the next upgrade... )

Lee.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2017, 10:37   #2
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: RT-N66u not capable of 300mbps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to the 300mbps service. However I think I'm finding that my Asus RT-N66u is unable to handle that speed as it seems to limit at 230ish (and I can see CPU on the router is maxxed out).

Documentation suggests it should be able to handle that speed however posts on other forums say the cpu is too weak.

Has anyone else got the same router working with 300mbps?

If not, can anyone recommend an upgrade that can support 300mbps (and ideally be further futureproofed for the next upgrade... )

Lee.
Sounds like the H/W acceleration is turned off?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt...1/#post-216396

Quote:
The same issue is mentioned here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt....nnection.9425/
and here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/hw-...-rt-n66u.9888/
and here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/doe...ections.23216/
so I don't think it is a settings issue.

It seems that using certain functions cause HW acceleration to shut off and without HW acceleration this router seems to be limited to a WAN speed of about 230 Mbps. Now that more and more people are getting internet connections faster than 250 Mbps they are starting to notice this.
What firmware are you running?
Old 19-09-2017, 11:18   #3
Lee
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Sounds like the H/W acceleration is turned off?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt...1/#post-216396

What firmware are you running?

I've just updated to the latest LTS fork: Firmware:374.43_27E5j9527 just to see if that made any difference, which it hasn't.

HW acceleration is shown as being enabled in the GUI.
Old 19-09-2017, 11:41   #4
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

If you've any QoS on the router and are using it that, also, would slow things down.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 11:44   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

fret not, it is good for 731mbits. I knew there is no way it would be limited to ~200mbits because that is what one of my old Linksys routers was limited to and that was 10 years old and secondly, I bought myself an ac68u earlier this year and I checked before hand that it is good for 900mbits+ so I knew yours wouldn't be far behind.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 12:11   #6
Lee
cf.addict

Yeah I've seen its supposedly capable, but I don't seem to be able to reach it.

I've got QoS turned off and HW acceleration on, but it seems to max at 230mbps. When its downloading the cpu load average gets up to 1.51 which I'm assuming is the problem.
Old 19-09-2017, 12:30   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

There are a few different settings that can disable HW acceleration. Their weird and pointless web security stuff in co-operation with Trend Micro is one of those things. Basically anything that needs the router to look deeper into packets so application layer gateways, some VPN passthrough options, etc, will cause them to not use acceleration.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 12:34   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Seems too much of a coincidence that it is the same as the 200Mb VM service. If it was HW limited in some way I would expect it to be something different and more "random", eg 265Mb. Is it some other network management on the PC? I have Killer Network drivers and there is a network management option.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 14:14   #9
Lee
cf.addict

The SH3 is showing its provisioned at 402500000 which seems right (320mbit).

I don't think its PC related as I can transfer files around on my internal network at ~110MB/s (gigabit speeds).

Will try direct to the SH3 to prove that its not a network issue.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

OK so connected directly to the SH3 and speedtest.net shows 370mbps!

So I think I've proved its the N66u slowing me down. Guess I need a new router!
Old 19-09-2017, 14:18   #10
mikep
cf.member

mikep is an unknown quantity at this point

Try using asus merlin firmware to see if that helps

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

I have the same router but on only 200mb, so can't comment.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 14:22   #11
Lee
cf.addict

I'm using merlin firmware, albeit a fork by John on the same forum.
Old 19-09-2017, 16:07   #12
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I'm using merlin firmware, albeit a fork by John on the same forum.
I am using his firmware on my N66U but it is in AP mode at the moment so I can't do a like-for-like test to compare.

Post a q on John's Merlin thread, he is usually very prompt & helpful ..

This post on this thread is interesting:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fo...09#post-332834

The user seems to have same issue as you although someone else says he gets 900Mbps+ on Johns fork with a N66U ..
Old 19-09-2017, 20:32   #13
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

You need both CTF and FA to hit 350mbit.

So all the logging, QoS, and stats need to be disabled. I had the same with my AC87u.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 20:56   #14
Lee
cf.addict

I've disabled everything I can find on the router pages.

When I do a speedtest, the UI on the router stops responding, which tells me the cpu is maxxed.

I'll try a hard reset tomorrow when the kids are at school.
Old 19-09-2017, 21:04   #15
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Sometimes even after you turn things off you need to reboot several times. I had a nightmare getting FA to turn on on mine, and since it did have barely dared touch anything (although I only use it as an AP now not a router).

Some info here:
https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

There is a page that shows you what is enabled, on mine it's here:

https://imgur.com/C1YQrLu

Both CTF and FA are needed, without either you won't get more than about 80mbit, CTF will get you to around 200, you need both for more.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote