Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 14:42   #3541
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Is this another one of your fantasy predictions OB?
He thrives on that.

Only joking OB.
Old 01-08-2017, 17:50   #3542
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Amazon entering the sports streaming market, first with ATP tennis:-

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/01/...nnis-uk-prime/
Old 01-08-2017, 18:29   #3543
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Amazon entering the sports streaming market, first with ATP tennis:-

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/01/...nnis-uk-prime/
Here we go...the beginning of a new era in the fight for sports rights.
Old 01-08-2017, 18:34   #3544
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Is this another one of your fantasy predictions OB?
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss OLD BOY's prediction on this,
I have been online off and on for 3 decades or more, more off than on at first when me mum saw her phone bill and my housekeeping hadn't covered it lol, but in the last 20 years or so since I flew the nest I've pretty much always been online.
I've seen many copyright infringement protocols come and go but when they become too popular and too easy for the average Joe to use all have suffered some sort of crackdown or closure.
It used to be that the sites or individuals providing the content were the one that were prosecuted but in these days of copyright trolling I wouldn't be so sure, especially when you get an idiot like the one in this article https://torrentfreak.com/iptv-servic...rested-170719/ selling illegal services to gullible fools, I wouldn't be surprised if FACT has that guys customer list and to gain scare mongering headlines at least one or two hanging fruit are put through hell.
Old 01-08-2017, 23:33   #3545
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss OLD BOY's prediction on this,
I have been online off and on for 3 decades or more, more off than on at first when me mum saw her phone bill and my housekeeping hadn't covered it lol, but in the last 20 years or so since I flew the nest I've pretty much always been online.
I've seen many copyright infringement protocols come and go but when they become too popular and too easy for the average Joe to use all have suffered some sort of crackdown or closure.
It used to be that the sites or individuals providing the content were the one that were prosecuted but in these days of copyright trolling I wouldn't be so sure, especially when you get an idiot like the one in this article https://torrentfreak.com/iptv-servic...rested-170719/ selling illegal services to gullible fools, I wouldn't be surprised if FACT has that guys customer list and to gain scare mongering headlines at least one or two hanging fruit are put through hell.
Which is why you create your own build with none of that paid junk which can go down anytime.
Interesting without my vpn on SKYsports is hit n miss on kodi, however with vpn on it is flawless.
Those who bought fully loaded boxes may indeed be at risk but those like me who bought a perfectly legit android tv box and created their own build and use a vpn will be fine.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:50   #3546
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Here we go...the beginning of a new era in the fight for sports rights.
Good grief OB its a bit like you heralding the return of your victorious forces from the battlefield when it is nothing of the sort...
Old 02-08-2017, 09:41   #3547
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Good grief OB its a bit like you heralding the return of your victorious forces from the battlefield when it is nothing of the sort...
My thinking is that sport would be cheaper on Netflix than it is on BT or Sky. There are far more good dramas on Netflix than we have on the general entertainment Sky channels and at a fraction of the cost. I believe they will do the same for sport and the more up to date films (when they acquire the studio rights from Sky) in time.

It's amazing how we have got so used to paying out a small fortune for sport that many cannot see a way out. Have faith, old chap!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:01   #3548
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
My thinking is that sport would be cheaper on Netflix than it is on BT or Sky. There are far more good dramas on Netflix than we have on the general entertainment Sky channels and at a fraction of the cost. I believe they will do the same for sport and the more up to date films (when they acquire the studio rights from Sky) in time.

It's amazing how we have got so used to paying out a small fortune for sport that many cannot see a way out. Have faith, old chap!
I sometimes doubt you actually read what you've put before hitting the post reply button , so Netflix is going to take all the top Sport all the top dramas and all the first run movie rights. I can't wait to see the price of that.

Isn't half the reason people subscribe to Netlfix because of its low cost ?

Let's not forget all this content costs.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LION-debt.html
Old 02-08-2017, 12:58   #3549
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

If Netflix go into live sports trust me the costs will spiral, for a start Netflix would have to shell out on equipment, then they'd have to create a completely new interface and this is just for starters.
Then you'll have the bidding wars that Netflix would have to contend with.
I'm not saying it won't happen but if it does expect to pay a lot more than you think you will.
NBC are a perfect example of this they have their NBCsports channel but have now put a lot of matches on their new NBC Sports gold channel which unsurprisingly costs extra ontop of the standard subscription.
Movies i certainly agree with you regarding those i do think Netflix will bid for newer movies once studio deals are up for renewal, they are already doing this now with new movies such as brotherhood being available on Netflix first so i wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that idea.
But live sport yes it may happen but at quite a cost one feels.
Old 02-08-2017, 13:54   #3550
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I sometimes doubt you actually read what you've put before hitting the post reply button , so Netflix is going to take all the top Sport all the top dramas and all the first run movie rights. I can't wait to see the price of that.

Isn't half the reason people subscribe to Netlfix because of its low cost ?

Let's not forget all this content costs.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LION-debt.html
Well, clearly, we would have to pay more to Netflix if they acquired that (as separate packages, of course) but my view is that it would be rather less than Sky charge. That's why my comparison was between the drama selection (non premium Sky channels).
Old 02-08-2017, 14:10   #3551
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well, clearly, we would have to pay more to Netflix if they acquired that (as separate packages, of course) but my view is that it would be rather less than Sky charge. That's why my comparison was between the drama selection (non premium Sky channels).
But as you've been told multiple times you aren't comparing as Sky offers far more than it's own entertainment content , in fact it could be argued the amount of content on offer from the likes of Sky and VM dwarfs that of Netlflix whether you watch it all now that's another thing.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:20   #3552
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If Netflix go into live sports trust me the costs will spiral, for a start Netflix would have to shell out on equipment, then they'd have to create a completely new interface and this is just for starters.
Then you'll have the bidding wars that Netflix would have to contend with.
I'm not saying it won't happen but if it does expect to pay a lot more than you think you will.
NBC are a perfect example of this they have their NBCsports channel but have now put a lot of matches on their new NBC Sports gold channel which unsurprisingly costs extra ontop of the standard subscription.
Movies i certainly agree with you regarding those i do think Netflix will bid for newer movies once studio deals are up for renewal, they are already doing this now with new movies such as brotherhood being available on Netflix first so i wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that idea.
But live sport yes it may happen but at quite a cost one feels.
Netflix are prepared to sustain big losses before income generation starts offsetting those costs. I know that Netflix fees would have to go up to pay for this, but they would be separate packages, and less than Sky charge, in my view. The lower comparitive cost and further global reach should enable far more subscribers than Sky get, which would help pay for it.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
But as you've been told multiple times you aren't comparing as Sky offers far more than it's own entertainment content , in fact it could be argued the amount of content on offer from the likes of Sky and VM dwarfs that of Netlflix whether you watch it all now that's another thing.
Are you talking about content or channels? Sky may offer many channels, that is undisputed, but I don't watch much of the fayre on offer - my recordings are proof of that. There is an incredible amount of rubbish on Sky, and it is only a matter of time now before I stop subscribing to their non premium channels. I'm paying far too much for very little. Unless, of course, Sky is spurred on to do better as a result of the competition, which is always a possibility, I suppose.

However, as for Netflix, I can't see myself getting through even half of their dramas, there is so much on there at a cost that is very competitive indeed.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:21   #3553
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Ifs , buts and maybes as usual OB.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:26   #3554
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Are you talking about content or channels? Sky may offer many channels, that is undisputed, but I don't watch much of the fayre on offer - my recordings are proof of that. There is an incredible amount of rubbish on Sky, and it is only a matter of time now before I stop subscribing to their non premium channels. I'm paying far too much for very little. Unless, of course, Sky is spurred on to do better as a result of the competition, which is always a possibility, I suppose.

However, as for Netflix, I can't see myself getting through even half of their dramas, there is so much on there at a cost that is very competitive indeed.
Yet again you don't seem capable to realise that Sky and Virgin offer far more than just the Sky channels as I say there is far more content. If you don't watch content on the pay channels I'd seriously be asking yourself why you have Virgin TV.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:51   #3555
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Netflix are prepared to sustain big losses before income generation starts offsetting those costs. I know that Netflix fees would have to go up to pay for this, but they would be separate packages, and less than Sky charge, in my view. The lower comparitive cost and further global reach should enable far more subscribers than Sky get, which would help pay for it.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Netflix already have a huge debt on them over $10billion i can't see them risking going much further into debt to start bidding for live sports, if they go to far into debt then the reality is Netflix will go bang and that is a risk they will not take.
Closed Thread