Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

DUMeter shows constant downloading

Old 23-11-2004, 09:48   #1
lardboy
Inactive

lardboy is on a distinguished roadlardboy is on a distinguished road
Question DUMeter shows constant downloading

My DUMeter is showing a constant download speed of around the 1 - 3 kb mark, and my modem light is flashing, when I've got nothing downloading and minimal progs running .

Is this normal because I've never noticed it before?

I don't think it's a virus or spyware or whatever because I recognise all the entries in task manager and I've scanned my system with upto date Spybot S&D, Adaware, AVG and Microtrend housecall online.

I've also removed all programs from zonealarm's list.

This is freaky.
lardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2004, 10:04   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: DUMeter shows constant downloading

It's just your PC 'talking to' the ntl network, perfectly normal.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 10:53   #3
lardboy
Inactive

lardboy is on a distinguished roadlardboy is on a distinguished road

Right,thanks.

I thought it might just be background noise but it was one of those things that I suddenly noticed and it started freaking me out
lardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 11:19   #4
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

No worries a above. I believe there's an IOS (Internetwork Operating System, the OS Cisco routeres run on) that removes this ARP spam as one of its' settings, no idea if/when this will be deployed on the ntl network though.
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 13:01   #5
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It's just your PC 'talking to' the ntl network, perfectly normal.
Not wanting to turn this into a cap thread, but does similar traffic occur on ADSL, and is it / can it be / should it be excluded from any form of BW monitoring, or is it absolutly immaterial to the calculation (however if I found I had used 5.1Gb and had to pay for that extra .1Gb then I might feel it not so immaterial.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 13:28   #6
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Not wanting to turn this into a cap thread, but does similar traffic occur on ADSL, and is it / can it be / should it be excluded from any form of BW monitoring, or is it absolutly immaterial to the calculation (however if I found I had used 5.1Gb and had to pay for that extra .1Gb then I might feel it not so immaterial.
There are various places to monitor traffic, ARP won't count as it's not IP layer it runs at layer, well, 2.5
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 21:23   #7
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

0.8-0.9Kb here - I know it's ARP, as I could count ARP traffic on my network card utility.

The only easy way I can see to avoid screwed up bandwidth monitor software, is to work through a router.

The other thing, I have the option to add SNMP to the network card, and I know of one free SNMP based monitor tool.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/itindicator.html
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote