Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Suspicious Activity Report

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Suspicious Activity Report

Old 02-08-2017, 16:03   #16
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Suspicious Activity Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Think we might have to remove him from here lest we all get audited!

Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2017, 18:12   #17
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A neighbour's son was contacted by HMRC after paying in around £50 cash per week over several months. It was pocket money from his grandparents. But guess what, there are limits to how much you can "gift" to your grandkids! Something to do with Inheritance Tax I think.
We looked this up a few months ago on gov.uk and from what I remember you can give them as much as you like if its coming from income and not affecting your lifestyle.
If its coming from your capital then I think the limit per grandchild is £1000.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 21:52   #18
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Think we might have to remove him from here lest we all get audited!
I could be wrong but I think the local cosa nostra is called the Cardiff Tafia
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 20:05   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
IIRC anything over £1.000 has to be reported. Easiest way, keep it under that amount and spread it around.
That's correct and it hasn't been updated since it was introduced years ago.

Whenever I tried to report suspicious transactions years ago in a previous role the police were totally uninterested, so I stopped bothering.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:
A neighbour's son was contacted by HMRC after paying in around £50 cash per week over several months. It was pocket money from his grandparents. But guess what, there are limits to how much you can "gift" to your grandkids! Something to do with Inheritance Tax I think.
Typical. They go after potential petty tax evasion whilst allowing rich people and companies to effectively decide whether to pay tax or not and if so, by how much.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 21:57   #20
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Had my bank question me why I wanted to take £2000 of my own money out in cash. Told them it's none of their business and they said that was ok but they had to ask.

So it's not just putting money in.

Let them try and link a bitcoin wallet to me and question me about incoming and outgoings. Not happening
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 23:09   #21
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Is this really a surprise? Why is anyone surprised that 'they' want to bring an end to cash transactions? 'They' continue to push 'tap and go' cards (which aren't secure), debit cards, credit cards etc. for a good reason. It's all a bit like selling us the dream of cheap electric cars - when there's no alternative the cost will rise, they'll no longer be cheap and and we'll have no alternative. IMHO this is far more about 'them' controlling us than trying to maximise the tax take.

Oh and before anyone offers me a tin foil hat, just check that you can see beyond the end of your nose....

Last edited by Osem; 03-09-2017 at 23:25.
Old 15-09-2017, 16:43   #22
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

There was a big queue at the ASDA bureau d'exchange earlier (the £ went up against the euro). One by one they got to the front of the line, looked puzzled and left fuming (and some were swearing).

A handwritten notice said " All cash transactions to buy foreign currency over £850 require passport or national ID, plus proof of domicile. All transactions over £1850 require the same plus valid travel documents for a minimum 5 day stay outside the UK."
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 16:53   #23
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
There was a big queue at the ASDA bureau d'exchange earlier (the £ went up against the euro). One by one they got to the front of the line, looked puzzled and left fuming (and some were swearing).

A handwritten notice said " All cash transactions to buy foreign currency over £850 require passport or national ID, plus proof of domicile. All transactions over £1850 require the same plus valid travel documents for a minimum 5 day stay outside the UK."
And it's best to keep the transaction printout if you want to exchange the currency back again after the holiday otherwise you get the same rigmarole all over again.
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:03   #24
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Hasn't the requirement for proof of identity been required for foreign exchange been required for a while. I've always had that asked of me for sums less than £850.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 22:29   #25
Osem
Inactive

All this fuss about money laundering and tax evasion yet I've just seen yet more cases of debtors settling debts to High Court Sheriffs, this time with £8k and £1500 in cash. No questions asked about where the money had come from or whether any tax had been paid on it.

Despite all the money laundering hoops we have to jump through nowadays, some sections of society seem more than able to conduct their affairs and deal with the courts in cash and nobody gives a stuff.

Last edited by Osem; 17-11-2017 at 22:33.
Old 17-11-2017, 23:03   #26
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
All this fuss about money laundering and tax evasion yet I've just seen yet more cases of debtors settling debts to High Court Sheriffs, this time with £8k and £1500 in cash. No questions asked about where the money had come from or whether any tax had been paid on it.

Despite all the money laundering hoops we have to jump through nowadays, some sections of society seem more than able to conduct their affairs and deal with the courts in cash and nobody gives a stuff.
Debtors settle debts ? Obviously up to no good then, probably lefty hypocrites too I should think
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 23:17   #27
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Debtors settle debts ? Obviously up to no good then, probably lefty hypocrites too I should think
Yup, the usual suspects
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 10:03   #28
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

It hasn't become illegal to keep your money under the mattress yet..However if you can't prove where you got it you may well have problems if it get's stolen and you report the theft.
Old 18-11-2017, 10:40   #29
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
It hasn't become illegal to keep your money under the mattress yet..However if you can't prove where you got it you may well have problems if it get's stolen and you report the theft.
That's the point I was making. These people weren't asked to explain where it all came from at all. Try buying something with a wad of thousands in cash and see how far you get. I don't have any issue at all with anyone having that amount of cash I'm just wondering why they never seem to be asked where it came from even though it all looks very suspicious and in many cases has probably never been declared to HMRC.