Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Living drug' gets go-ahead

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'Living drug' gets go-ahead

Old 30-08-2017, 20:11   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
'Living drug' gets go-ahead

The US has approved the first treatment to redesign a patient's own immune system so it attacks cancer.

The regulator - the US Food and Drug Administration - said its decision was a "historic" moment and medicine was now "entering a new frontier".

The company Novartis is charging $475,000 (£367,000) for the therapy, which leaves 83% of people free of a type of blood cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41094990
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2017, 20:15   #2
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: 'Living drug' gets go-ahead

Let's hope it works and the prices come down so more people can benefit.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 22:18   #3
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I see the price as being reasonable given that 4 out 5 people treated are cancer free.

We need to factor in the cost saving of treating those who are now cancer free. I had 2 drugs that cost just under £10000 in total to prepare me for a kidney transplant. I was fortunate in that the transplant was a success and have not needed dialysis for nearly 4 years now. So, in my case, that £10000 was well spent.

Oh and don't forget the effects of being cancer free on the patient and their loved ones - you cant put a price on that!
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 22:23   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
Personally I see the price as being reasonable given that 4 out 5 people treated are cancer free.

We need to factor in the cost saving of treating those who are now cancer free. I had 2 drugs that cost just under £10000 in total to prepare me for a kidney transplant. I was fortunate in that the transplant was a success and have not needed dialysis for nearly 4 years now. So, in my case, that £10000 was well spent.

Oh and don't forget the effects of being cancer free on the patient and their loved ones - you cant put a price on that!
The loved ones can't but the bean counters do for obvious reasons. Of course this treatment could save lots of money in the longer term but long-termism doesn't seem to be much of a feature of modern society sadly.
Old 30-08-2017, 22:37   #5
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
The loved ones can't but the bean counters do for obvious reasons. Of course this treatment could save lots of money in the longer term but long-termism doesn't seem to be much of a feature of modern society sadly.
Whilst I can see short termism is more tempting to the private sector as repeat business is more profitable, where value for money is concerned even the "bean counters" in the NHS have to embrace therapies that do have high short term costs as the "opportunity cost" of not adopting these new treatments will lead to further reductions in the number and scope of treatments available to new patients given the need to restrain the growth in the NHS budgets.
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 22:43   #6
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
Whilst I can see short termism is more tempting to the private sector as repeat business is more profitable, where value for money is concerned even the "bean counters" in the NHS have to embrace therapies that do have high short term costs as the "opportunity cost" of not adopting these new treatments will lead to further reductions in the number and scope of treatments available to new patients given the need to restrain the growth in the NHS budgets.
They don't do that though - they have budgets to achieve and potential future savings don't usually enter into the equation. It's the same with local authorities who spend fortunes patching up roads on an ad-hoc basis as repeated repairs are required over a period of years rather than spend more up front on proper resurfacing which does away with all that future expense. That's not how it should be but is how it is sadly.

It makes no sense for costly NHS beds to be blocked by people who can't be sent home because someone hasn't ordered or delivered a cheap commode for example due to cuts somewhere else. It shouldn't be happening but it is and if more was spent sorting that nonsense out the NHS would be able to treat far more people.

Last edited by Osem; 30-08-2017 at 22:50.
Old 30-08-2017, 22:43   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I believe the cost for long term treatment set against the statistical likelihood of survival/reoccurrence is one of the key measurements NICE (the NHS don't do this part) take into account. It will be a question of how big an increase do you get in average survival vs the cost.

A lot of the time the drug offers questionable, if any, improvement at a much higher cost so it gets rejected and gets met by headlines of how they're refusing a patient a drug that could save their life - the 'could' doing a lot of work in the headline.

If this is a dramatic increase though it will probably be approved. It's a question of saving lives in the end.

Last edited by Damien; 30-08-2017 at 22:47.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote