Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

Old 29-10-2009, 16:17   #1
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

Hi Guys

I work for the new developments team at Virgin Media, we actively pursue cases where we can add to our cable network either through new build houses or infill in areas we have missed.

I would appreciate any input from you guys if you cant get cable but feel we may be in a position to provide you with cable, we investigate each case individually to see if there is merit in delivering cable to the requested address(es).

At this stage I would like to welcome any request for service in the following areas…

Scotland (including but not limited to… Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Perth)
North West England (including but not limited to… Manchester, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Stockport)
North East England (including but not limited to… Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough)
Northern Ireland (including but not limited to… Belfast, Derry)

We are actively seeking out areas we have missed all over the UK but as you can imagine, some we miss! What we need to check availaibility is your full address and postcode, please leave a comment or PM/email myself and I will look into each oppurtunity and let you know what we can do to help.

For the moment I can only check these areas but if this experiment is successful then I will roll this out across other areas.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to assisting anyone who requires it!

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2009, 19:36   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

I would like to keep this thread firmly on topic so please direct queries about other issues to their relevant posts/threads. No details about specific New Development sites will be discussed on this forum for many reasons. Any queries will be responded to discreetly and details of your request will not be shared with anyone else on this forum or disseminated publicly as per Virgin Media's privacy policy.

Please note that any information you do supply will only be used for the purposes of location checks against Virgin Media's access network. If contact details are requested then it is because we feel that we can provide service to your street and you may be contacted for further information.

For full details on Virgin Media's privacy policy please visit the following link...

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...acypolicy.html

If you have any queries then please get in touch.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:45   #3
weesteev
Cable Guru

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the phenominal response so far! At this stage I would like to request that no more examples be sent through at this stage, I currently have over 100 projects to work with now which is considerably more than expected. The Cable Forum members have been especially active giving me the most examples so I would like to thank you guys for your efforts for getting in contact!

Any more PM's cannot be responded to until I have checked over the exiting requests and dont worry if I have been in contact already then that will continue until your request has been completed.

Thanks again to everyone who got in touch, I will restart this process again soon to judge demand very soon.

Best Regards

Stephen

Old 05-04-2010, 14:18   #4
texr
Inactive

texr is an unknown quantity at this point

hi weesteev,

just came across this topic,
are you still following/replying??

Just wondering how you are getting on with your site investigations, with a view to maybe adding 1 more new build area to your list??

shall await your reply,

thanks
texr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 14:21   #5
zing_deleted

The whole of Chapel End Nuneaton could be lucrative the cable network just stops leaving out a whole area of the town
Old 24-04-2010, 08:44   #6
RobertinHerts
Inactive

RobertinHerts is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this being rolled out to the "Home counties" around London? I'm aware of a very large estate without cable whereas there is cable nearby, if it's the spending power of the households that Virgin is worried about: about half are expensive properties.

For one customer it's been very frustrating having to have a phone line installed and paid for when all that was wanted was broadband.
RobertinHerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 14:05   #7
Paul Ryan
Inactive

Paul Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

I had sent you a pm, your advice would be appreicated.

Thanks!
Paul Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 14:25   #8
RobertinHerts
Inactive

RobertinHerts is an unknown quantity at this point

You can now contact Virginmedia using Twitter: @VirginMedia - seem pretty responsive.
RobertinHerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 18:54   #9
deanhuth
Inactive

deanhuth is an unknown quantity at this point
no virgin in cotgrave

After talking with virgin i find out they wont come to cotgrave as they say the town council wont allow them. I have spoke with members of the town council and would welcome virgin to cotgrave. frustrated ,i am as when i speak to anyone at virgin know one seems to know who I need to talk to.with a population of 8500 and growing and everyone i speak to would love to have virgin instead of sky tv .broadband and phone.please some one pull there finger out . an advertising campiagn in our small town would prove fruitful
deanhuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 20:42   #10
weesteev
Cable Guru

Hi Deanhuth

The first problem with providing cable to Cotgrave is its distance from the nearest active network. There would be substantial work to bring service to the town as well as commissioning the extra capacity to support a town of this size. 8k homes is a massive amount to add to the network at once and many problems can arrise with this including lack of space at the local hubsite to support the addition of this many homes.

The next problem is... the number of homes (again). 8k Homes is approximately 18 quadrants or 9-10 MUX or Fibre Nodes. 1 MUX cabinet would cost circa £40k to build and then there is still the job of building the local network to feed these homes and commission all the extra smaller DP or DA cabinets to feed the streets.

From a cost point of view, this would be horrendously high. Main build is still something that is being looked at by the company as new technologys have emerged which may make projects like this more feasible in future, but in the current environment this would just be way too much work and an astonishing cost as well. 8k homes would be circa £7m to build based on the current network architecture.

So while today may not be an option, hopefully if these well publicised trials end up as reality then I would say there is more chance, in the meantime I just couldn't see this happening.

I hope this was useful, feel free to get in touch if you need anything else.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:16   #11
timacheson
Inactive

timacheson is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable services wanted in Hunsdon, SG12 8PD

Please extend your broadband and cable service to my area ASAP!

Having been a Virgin customer (and previously NTL) for over 10 years, I have moved house (5 miles) and now have no access whatsoever to Virgin broadband and cable TB services. I am in the South East of ENgland, less than 30 miles from London!

May I offer some constructive feedback on Virgin broadband? The service is good, where it is available, but Virgin urgently needs to expand their network into new areas! In fact, I wish central government would take action to make this happen. I live in the South East of England, less than 30 miles from London, in Hertfordshire. Yet there are countless villages in my area, such as Hunsdon, where there is no high-speed internet service. In Hunsdon (serviced by the Much Hadham exchange) there is no Virgin service whatsoever, and the maximum available bandwidth is 0.5 MB to 1 MB! This is unacceptable in 2010. Hunsdon is a couple of miles from Harlow and Stanstead Abbots where good broadband speeds are widely available. Are we serious about the digital economy in Britain, or are we happy to be left behind?Virgin media seem to be resting on their laurels, when they should be investing in expanding the UK's internet infrastructure. This is not next-generation infrastructure; it's a case of upgrading from archaic last-gen copper-wire to current-gen fibre-optic cable.

I hope that BT Infinity will introduce some competition into this neglected marketplace.
timacheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:37   #12
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Cable services wanted in Hunsdon, SG12 8PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by timacheson View Post

Having been a Virgin customer (and previously NTL) for over 10 years, I have moved house (5 miles) and now have no access whatsoever to Virgin broadband and cable TB services. I am in the South East of ENgland, less than 30 miles from London!

May I offer some constructive feedback on Virgin broadband? The service is good, where it is available, but Virgin urgently needs to expand their network into new areas! In fact, I wish central government would take action to make this happen. I live in the South East of England, less than 30 miles from London, in Hertfordshire. Yet there are countless villages in my area, such as Hunsdon, where there is no high-speed internet service. In Hunsdon (serviced by the Much Hadham exchange) there is no Virgin service whatsoever, and the maximum available bandwidth is 0.5 MB to 1 MB! This is unacceptable in 2010. Hunsdon is a couple of miles from Harlow and Stanstead Abbots where good broadband speeds are widely available. Are we serious about the digital economy in Britain, or are we happy to be left behind?Virgin media seem to be resting on their laurels, when they should be investing in expanding the UK's internet infrastructure. This is not next-generation infrastructure; it's a case of upgrading from archaic last-gen copper-wire to current-gen fibre-optic cable.

I hope that BT Infinity will introduce some competition into this neglected marketplace.
You need to get your village up and entering the BT Race to Infinity:

http://www.racetoinfinity.bt.com/

Slow broadband is one of the downsides of moving to village life.

PS I see you are not even on an A road.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:00   #13
timacheson
Inactive

timacheson is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post

I voted for BT Infinity. I would also like to see Virgin investing in our regional infrastructure in areas like mine. The nearest A road is less than a couple of miles away, and so are the nearest areas which do have Virgin cable services!
timacheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:01   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post

I'm not even on a B road.

And when I went on the Infinity site last week it told me my exchange isn't eligible for the 'race to infinity' because there are less than 1,000 lines attached to it (in fact there are barely more than 100).

Unfortunately there is a very real chance that Infinity will fail to help many of the very areas that need it most.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05   #15
weesteev
Cable Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timacheson View Post

Its unlikely that Infinity will provide any competition as the vast majority of exchanges being upgraded have little to no Cable access at all.