Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Digital Spy may be closed or downsized.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Digital Spy may be closed or downsized.

Old 17-11-2016, 23:06   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Digital Spy may be closed or downsized.

A friend who works in publishing has told me that Hearst are making cutbacks.

Nothing has been ruled out, including cutting or closing down Digital Spy.

Some magazines will close too.

Some cuts have already been made, with new moderators no longer being paid etc.

It is thought that the rise of social networking sites & ad blocking are two of the main problems.

I don't know how much it costs to run a forum of that size, am I right in believing that it doesn't cost that much to host a forum, it's the bandwidth needed when people click on and retrieve threads that uses up bandwidth?

IIRC didn't Cable Forum take on the members of a forum that closed?

I can't give a link as this was told to me over the phone, so will understand if people wish to take this with a pinch of salt.

Edit: Now been posted/leaked on Twitter by Mark Sweeney (whoever he is, journalist??).

https://mobile.twitter.com/markswene...30735857156096

For balance, Digital Spy Forum Support have denied that Digital Spy will be affected and are said to have closed a thread about this because it was off topic.

It's certainly less busy than when James owned it and the lack of investment is showing eg the search facility has been broken for months and there are no plans to repair it.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 17-11-2016 at 23:23. Reason: Extra info.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2016, 04:16   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Digital Spy may be closed or downsized.

I stopped using DS many years ago.

The forums I always found were not particularly welcoming, the moderation system was just bizarre (the staff were totally anonymous) and then the main site became overrun with adverts, inc pop-ups, and that drove me away for good.

My login still works, and the search seems to work for me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 06:52   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally l used it a couple of times and was not impressed so alas sadly one has to put up with me on CF for a good deal longer.
Old 18-11-2016, 13:15   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I used to use DS a lot but since the recent site change I have not bothered. It became less news like and focussed on click bait and reality TV nonsense.
Old 18-11-2016, 14:53   #5
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

I browse their forums everyday, almost never look at the main site though.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:49   #6
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I use the Forums mostly September to December, because I have family who want to know the result of Strictly Saturday night. Never use it outside of Saturday night in those months, and never between December and September.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:50   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I use the Forums mostly September to December, because I have family who want to know the result of Strictly Saturday night. Never use it outside of Saturday night in those months, and never between December and September.
Ha ... someone from DS contacted my missus when they found out she was going to be in the Strictly audience and asked her to be their "mole" ... she declined to answer them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 17:29   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I visit Digital Spy quite regularly, but it's not what it was.

I was never a massive user of the forums, although I did enjoy my few visits there.

I did used to like the main site though. What persuaded me to join the forums was that I was looking at the main site, and it had a (then) excellent mix of tech news, cable news, TV news and movie news, provided by a team who seemed to know their stuff.

Lately, maybe it's because I'm getting older, but the forums have lost what atmosphere they had. I also used to enjoy a good argument in the comments section on the main site, which has been removed, sadly.

Regarding content, I feel they are concentrating too much on the reality TV now (it was always present, but was a lot less prevalent previously).

I think, in general, it's gone from an excellent tech site with a little gossip on the side to a largely gossip site with a little technical news on the side. Something which is in line with Hearst's magazines, but has probably lost Digital Spy a lot of members.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:08   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, it looks like the main problem is that the adverts became so intrusive that most users installed an ad blocker out of necessity.

Something is putting people off as the site gets 17.30m visitors a month, but they only stay on average for 1 minute 41 seconds.

69% of visitors bounce straight back off again, of those that stay, they only read 2.22 pages before leaving.

Some members are thinking of setting up their own forum, but I think that they think it to be a lot easier than it will be.

I'm sure there's more to running a forum that getting some free hosting and appointing a few mods as they appear to think!

If it's true that bandwidth is eaten up by people retrieving threads, I think that they should focus on cutting costs by closing pointless/childish threads such as the count to a million thread!!!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 20-11-2016 at 18:14.
Old 20-11-2016, 18:10   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Then it will quite rightly close. What's the point of keeping it open? It doesn't appeal to users any more.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:38   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It was very successful when James owned it.

I know that factors like the increased use of social networking sites have played a part, but it does seem to have been badly run since being sold.

By this I mean intrusive ads, click bait, a focus on showbiz/celebrity rubbish, bizarre and inconsistent moderating decisions eg someone was suspended for using the term "blacklegs" to describe a group of people breaking a strike. Apparently, this was 'racist' because one of them was of mixed race!!!
Old 20-11-2016, 18:42   #12
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I know that factors like the increased use of social networking sites have played a part, but it does seem to have been badly run since being sold.

By this I mean intrusive ads, click bait, a focus on showbiz/celebrity rubbish, bizarre and inconsistent moderating decisions eg someone was suspended for using the term "blacklegs" to describe a group of people breaking a strike. Apparently, this was 'racist' because one of them was of mixed race!!!
I thought people on D/S loved celebrity based rubbish,judging by how many people post on the X -Factor,CBB,i am a celebrity,and scrictly come dancing, The Apprenctice et al tosh threads.

Celebrity seems heaven made for Hearst and D/S.
Old 20-11-2016, 18:44   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

James doesn't own it any more though. It's now a carp site. Let it go!
Old 20-11-2016, 21:55   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I believe that it is a subject worthy of discussion if others wish to do so.
Old 20-11-2016, 21:59   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

We'll see.

My view is that since James sold it it's gone downhill and is not even worth a mention now.