Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 13-02-2012, 20:49   #1
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road
Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

I just cancelled my SKY+ HD service. As I've had a change in circumstances and can no longer afford Sky Sports, ESPN etc.

I noticed that if I get Tivo with M+ it's only 10 quid a month more (with my existing broadband L and phone M). This is very tempting for me as I cannot live without a PVR and Sky Sports News! But I also get channels I occasional watch such as Sky1 (an idiot abroad) and Eurosport 1/2 (football). Seem it's the ideal package. Taking into account the catch up and other services on offer too!

It's just my last Virgin media STB was useless. Painfully S-L-O-W and noisy! Crackling during quiet suspense moments in movies is a real put off!!

I don't want to be stuck with a box that is going to give me stress! So just a few questions that I hope a few of you will take some time out to give me your opinions.

- What's better on the old V+HD (scientfic atlanta) than the Tivo?
- How does channel changing and menu time compare to the old V+HD box and the SKY+ boxes?
- Does the box have a tendency to lock up?
- How does the picture quality compare (via the scart) to V+HD and SKY+ boxes? (no HD telly yet)
- Can 'catch up' showings be archived to DVD (it was possible with V+HD)
- Does the box get hot in use? Does it need a large ventilation space?
- Anything else that really bugs you! about this box?

Thanks to everyone who has read this post. Please the more people who answer the better idea I have. Feel free to answer whichever question you like.

Regards,

John aka Bentex
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2012, 21:03   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

The TiVo is light years ahead of the old as v+ which is a very poor box

It's faster than a as v+ slightly slower than sky, mine has never locked up since the latest update.

You have 28 days to try the box and if you hate it you can cancel and get your money back
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 21:11   #3
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

It's whisper quiet and has an external power supply unit meaning it doesn't over heat.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:04   #4
Bentex
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
You have 28 days to try the box and if you hate it you can cancel and get your money back
This point has probably sealed it for me. You work for VM? If there anyway to not have to pay the installation fee? I heard a whisper if you call to say you're quitting you could get a free upgrade to Tivo.

Does anyone have any info to my question can you record to DVD from the catch up service or from playback or recorded shows?

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
It's whisper quiet and has an external power supply unit meaning it doesn't over heat.

Great news! I think I have the perfect spot for it
Old 13-02-2012, 22:09   #5
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

The V+ is better if you want the red button services or reminders, neither of which are yet available on the TIVO

Saying that TIVO is light years head of any other STB
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:38   #6
sebastion
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Talk and BB.
sebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to behold

Could any kind and knowledgeable peeps tell me. Whats the average wait for a Tivo install and does it differ from region to region.
sebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:42   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

It differs from region to region, as it's a 1man job probably within a week, give retentions a all, see what deals they have
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:50   #8
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:

It's faster than a as v+ slightly slower than sky, mine has never locked up since the latest update.

You're setting the guy up for disappointment. Its quite a bit slower than a Sky+HD box.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:53   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post

You're setting the guy up for disappointment. Its quite a bit slower than a Sky+HD box.
It does a lot more than any SKY box though and they know it.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:58   #10
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
It does a lot more than any SKY box though and they know it.
Ooh yeah it does do a lot more, but then you'll soon have to pay £5 a month for those features.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 23:00   #11
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Ooh yeah it does do a lot more, but then you'll soon have to pay £5 a month for those features.
It is better than £10.25 for the hd channels that you get for free with VM
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 23:15   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
It does so much more and SKY hate it with a passion.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 00:17   #13
sebastion
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Talk and BB.
sebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It differs from region to region, as it's a 1man job probably within a week, give retentions a all, see what deals they have
Thanks very much jb66.
sebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 00:33   #14
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
I just cancelled my SKY+ HD service. As I've had a change in circumstances and can no longer afford Sky Sports, ESPN etc.

I noticed that if I get Tivo with M+ it's only 10 quid a month more (with my existing broadband L and phone M). This is very tempting for me as I cannot live without a PVR and Sky Sports News! But I also get channels I occasional watch such as Sky1 (an idiot abroad) and Eurosport 1/2 (football). Seem it's the ideal package. Taking into account the catch up and other services on offer too!

It's just my last Virgin media STB was useless. Painfully S-L-O-W and noisy! Crackling during quiet suspense moments in movies is a real put off!!

I don't want to be stuck with a box that is going to give me stress! So just a few questions that I hope a few of you will take some time out to give me your opinions.

- How does channel changing and menu time compare to the old V+HD box and the SKY+ boxes?
- How does the picture quality compare (via the scart) to V+HD and SKY+ boxes? (no HD telly yet)

Thanks to everyone who has read this post. Please the more people who answer the better idea I have. Feel free to answer whichever question you like.

Regards,

John aka Bentex
I've recently changed from Sky+ HD to a Tivo, so I'll help as much as I can:

Quote:
Not sure because I have the Cisco one in my bedroom.

Quote:
Once you get used to the differences from Sky, you will probably find the Tivo far better. There are lots of little improvements, like if you bring the guide up just a few minutes before the hour, it will move on to the next hour, rather than telling you what you have just missed.

Quote:
Mine hasn't done so far. But then my Sky box didn't very often (once it was replaced).

Quote:
Don't know as I use HDMI. There is no point paying for HD, if you don't have a HD TV yet. You can add that package at a later date.

Quote:
I can't help you there. I know it wasn't possible on the Sky+ HD box

Quote:
Mine hasn't been switched off since I got it in December. And I've just checked, and it is hardly warm.

Quote:
There were just a couple of things to start with. But then after asking about them on here, I found that it was just me being a typical bloke, and not reading the instructions.

Personally I think that the Tivo is miles ahead of the Sky+HD box
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 16:06   #15
Bentex
Inactive

Thank you very much for all the replies.

Using Sky Anytime I could record onto my DVD player with it. I don't know why you couldn't and with my old V+HD box I could too. I just couldn't record the TV Choice stuff like the boxsets.

Regarding the speed of channel changing and menu, even if it's not a quick as the latest SKy+ HD boxes. Am I going to get frustrated? Sky+ was lighting quick. A little less speed I can live with. Anything like the old V+HD scientic atlantic I cannot.

I'm told that my bill would be 35 pounds to have Broadband (L) phone (M) and TV with Tivo (M+ and Mutv). Where is the 3 pound or 5 pound Tivo charge I see you writing about? Will that be added so my bill is 38-41 pounds? I'm currently paying around 20 pounds a month for phone and broadband.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

I just called in and I was assured that the price of having a Tivo box will not go up from 3 pounds to 5 pounds.