Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Opening Ports on Virgin?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Opening Ports on Virgin?

Old 01-04-2009, 22:13   #1
schuey100
Inactive

schuey100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Opening Ports on Virgin?

Hi all

Bit of a newbie question I'm sure but I need some help!

A game on the PS3 (FIFA09) requires me to open up some ports for online play. I have to open:

TCP 80 to 80
TCP 9980 to 9989
TCP 12400 to 12499
TCP 30400 to 30499

UDP 3659 to 3659
UDP 9570 to 9570
UDP 9808 to 9811
UDP 9858 to 9861

Now this is fine if I'm on a Be connection as I just go to the router and open them but I don't think it's possible on Virgin with the modem I have.

I've been told that I shouldn't need to do anything on Virgin as everything is open but something's wrong there because the game doesn't work like it does on other connections where I can open the ports.

So if anyone has any advice or suggestions they'd be much appreciated. My set up is:

OSX Leopard
VM AMBIT Modem
MacBook Pro
schuey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2009, 22:28   #2
Pushkar
Inactive

Pushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nice
Re: Opening Ports on Virgin?

I think opening up DMZ would work, but can you confirm that you are using a router or not with Virgin?
Pushkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 22:34   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I had problems connecting to multi play games in GTA:IV I opened ports in my netgear router and they have all but disapeared.
Old 01-04-2009, 22:34   #4
schuey100
Inactive

Hi there

I am not using a router. I am using the VM modem connected to an 'airport' by ethernet and then connecting wirelessly to the computer.

So:

Modem - Wireless station - PS3
Old 01-04-2009, 22:41   #5
DRZ400
Permanently Banned

DRZ400 is a glorious beacon of lightDRZ400 is a glorious beacon of lightDRZ400 is a glorious beacon of lightDRZ400 is a glorious beacon of lightDRZ400 is a glorious beacon of lightDRZ400 is a glorious beacon of lightDRZ400 is a glorious beacon of light

On your PS3 goto system info, write down the IP address, then log into your router and add the PS3's IP to the DMZ which will open all ports.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Ooops ... just read you're not using a router.

What's a wireless station?
DRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 22:42   #6
schuey100
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400 View Post
On your PS3 goto system info, write down the IP address, then log into your router and add the PS3's IP to the DMZ which will open all ports.
But I'm not running a router. I'm connected directly to the Virgin modem.

Oops, saw your edit

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400 View Post

What's a wireless station?
One of these:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/
Old 01-04-2009, 22:49   #7
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey100 View Post
Yes you are, the airport extreme is a router of sorts.

Have a look here: http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=50744

BTW: loads of google results for "port forwarding airport extreme".
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25   #8
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey100 View Post

Oops, saw your edit

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

One of these:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/
Looks like a "router without ethernet ports" to me Though knowing apple they've taken all the half-decent features of a router out
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:53   #9
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Actually, the Airport extreme is a fully qualified router, it has a wan port, three ethernet ports (LAN) and a wireless access point. It supports NAT, DHCP, VPN, all the usual wireless standards... So look into your airport user manual how to open the ports that you need.
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17   #10
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

When you open ports on your router, don't forget to do the same on any software firewall you have too.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to networking since it's about router settings
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 21:07   #12
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

You need to set the PS3 to use a static IP address
You need to to set the PS3 IP address to the 'DEFAULT HOST' in the airport extreme config.

Default Host is the Apple term for DMZ.

Default means that the PS3 wil be connected to the internet with no firewall protection, all ports will be open.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote