Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 14-06-2017, 12:41   #3481
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
While Virgin Media viewers still have to play the waiting game...
To be fair Netflix and Hayu aren't on the SKY platform and Amazon isn't likely either. From that point of view Virgin are trumping SKY.
Advertisement
Old 14-06-2017, 13:02   #3482
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sadly OB lately has often adopted a quote negative tone with regards to Virgin and one wonders why he is still with them..
Old 14-06-2017, 13:39   #3483
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But have you not got other ways to access it?.
Yes, I do, Den, but as I explained before, if Amazon was on VM, I could search for all the programmes I am likely to watch from whatever source, and bookmark them. I can only do that with VM's own system and Netflix at present.

Additionally, of course, I would like to see the V6 being hailed as a comprehensive streaming box for legal content, bringing more people into the VM embrace. This would bring more money into the company, leaving more funding available for additional content.

If I recall correctly, Sky wasn't really out of the wood until it had something like 5m subscribers.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Quote:
Sadly OB lately has often adopted a quote negative tone with regards to Virgin and one wonders why he is still with them..
Not at all, Den, I love the VM system, particularly their new V6 box (the old Tivos are knackered!).

My one and only bleat is the need for more comprehensive content.

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
To be fair Netflix and Hayu aren't on the SKY platform and Amazon isn't likely either. From that point of view Virgin are trumping SKY.
I know, Chad, and that is a relevant point. However, they could do so much better if they had a mind to do so.
Old 14-06-2017, 16:45   #3484
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

The trouble is in this country platform holders are also content providers which is holding our market back,
if you compare us to America where pretty much every broadcasters OTT offerings are available on every device imaginable (even Amazon Instant Video is about to appear on Apple TV devices) our media market looks like it belongs in The Ark.
To give an example I would like to subscribe directly to BT Sport as I like their app and the freedom it provides to watch their content in high quality wherever I might be but this option is denied to me unless I switch my broadband to their inferior offering, something I wont do.
I cannot subscribe directly to Sky where I live but at least their Now TV option provides me with a somewhat flexible solution, although I do find the 4 device allowance a tad limiting.
If Ofcom really had any teeth they would make all content providers make their OTT wares available across all media streaming devices.
Old 14-06-2017, 17:15   #3485
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
The trouble is in this country platform holders are also content providers which is holding our market back,
if you compare us to America where pretty much every broadcasters OTT offerings are available on every device imaginable (even Amazon Instant Video is about to appear on Apple TV devices) our media market looks like it belongs in The Ark.
To give an example I would like to subscribe directly to BT Sport as I like their app and the freedom it provides to watch their content in high quality wherever I might be but this option is denied to me unless I switch my broadband to their inferior offering, something I wont do.
I cannot subscribe directly to Sky where I live but at least their Now TV option provides me with a somewhat flexible solution, although I do find the 4 device allowance a tad limiting.
If Ofcom really had any teeth they would make all content providers make their OTT wares available across all media streaming devices.
That pretty well sums up what I think as well, buckeye. Thank you for this, I was beginning to think I was in a minority of one on this issue.

We badly need a shake up of the rules in this country to prevent the exclusivity addiction that preoccupy certain companies over here.
Old 14-06-2017, 17:20   #3486
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
That pretty well sums up what I think as well, buckeye. Thank you for this, I was beginning to think I was in a minority of one on this issue.

We badly need a shake up of the rules in this country to prevent the exclusivity addiction that preoccupy certain companies over here.
You might be waiting a while OB.....
Old 14-06-2017, 17:37   #3487
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Wink Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Maybe Theresa May might be persuaded to do something popular...
Old 14-06-2017, 17:40   #3488
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Sadly I think you're correct.

In the meantime I don't think its too much hardship to have different devices to obtain the content I want in the best quality.
Most modern TV's have enough HDMI ports to accommodate a selection of media streamers (if they don't it only costs a tenner to buy a decent HDMI switch) so its just a question of pressing a button on the remote to get to the content I desire at the time.
Technology has advanced to the point in the last couple of years that they consume very little power (even my quite powerful HTPC only uses a maximum 15 Watts) and they are relatively inexpensive.

It would be nice to have one box to do it all (technically my HTPC could do most) but during the long wait for that media nirvana to appear I'll stick to my multi device setup
Old 15-06-2017, 08:24   #3489
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Maybe Theresa May might be persuaded to do something popular...
Well she apparently did do something popular but it did not turn out in the way that she envisaged.
Old 15-06-2017, 14:57   #3490
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Spain: Sky plans NOW TV September launch

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...tember-launch/

Last edited by muppetman11; 15-06-2017 at 15:11.
Old 22-06-2017, 08:11   #3491
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

http://v-net.tv/2017/06/21/why-amazo...ope-this-year/

Not sure if Amazon just read my idea and ran with it or whether the prediction I made was a good one =)
Old 22-06-2017, 09:17   #3492
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Nothing groundbeaking there for me and the Amazon Channels seem overpriced.
Old 22-06-2017, 09:29   #3493
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Could not have said it better myself MM but l am sure one revered trusty old poster will probably disagree with us.
Old 22-06-2017, 10:14   #3494
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I agree, but this is early days. Much better package available in the US, but it will take time before the offer on Amazon in the UK becomes attractive.

They could offer the Freeview channels by including TV Player as part of their offering.
Old 22-06-2017, 11:46   #3495
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I agree, but this is early days. Much better package available in the US, but it will take time before the offer on Amazon in the UK becomes attractive.

They could offer the Freeview channels by including TV Player as part of their offering.
Why would people pay Amazon for tvplayer when they can get it for free? Unless you was refering to tvplayer plus?
Closed Thread