Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Question ?

Old 07-11-2006, 23:11   #1
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era
Wireless Question ?

Okey dokey i have just installed my linksys wrt54 and all went well too well as it happens, now when i turn on my comp it connects to a belkin 54g?. I have no idea who where or how. i know it's not my neighbours they have no comp. while looking at my modem log i saw it was up on 20mb well says this then i realised it wasnt my modem. And it is still auto connecting to this Belkin. any help and advice would be great.

Network Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Doofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2006, 06:43   #2
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Wireless Question ?

i think the default url for the linksys wrt54 is
http://192.168.1.1/

move it close to your PC and use the PCs software to scan for your linksys wrt54 , or use the windowsXP built-in sw if you like by right clicking the wireless cards icon and selecting 'view available networks.

get into your linksys wrt54 by going to that url above and set up your unit to a suitable name and better channel as far away as you can find from the other unit.

you shouldnt really be messing with others units but they might not mind to much if your looking to see what channel their unit is set to so you can avoid interference for both of you later.

thats assuming their belkin 54g is infact an AP or router and not a simple usb belkin 54g wireless card thats set to adhoc mode, see what your card is connecting as adhoc or managed (being an wireless ap/router).

all the default settings etc and how to setup your unit to avoid interference should be in your manual or on the CD in a PDF file somewere.

you might want to try and find this other person and work with them to both your benefits and less interference in the future, write them a text file and leave it were they can see it perhaps if all else fails.

some interesting links if you want to get tech with that kit later perhaps
http://controlap.com/loader.htm
http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/articl...50203220950714
http://search.ntlworld.com/ntlworld/...s&cr=&start=10
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:30   #3
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era

Cheers for that i think i have it sorted now connects to my linksys everytime works a treat, still shows up the belkin as an available unsecured network so must be someone close by. Wil ask about see if i can find out who it is and let them know
Doofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37   #4
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

In the Wireless Zero Configuration (the Windows Wireless Network selection screen), go into "Change preferred networks" and remove all the ones that are in the list.

Your network card is probably set to automatically connect to that Belkin router if it is in range. Once you have removed it from the list, just connect to your WRT and it should be fine.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote