Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 23:53   #1516
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Only your monthly sub to your smart dns provider which works out about £3p/m

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

Yes but you can but remote mouse for firetv app for about a quid or any wireless mouse will do just plug the dongle for mouse into firetv usb port a usb mouse will work too.
4OD and all4 do not work on firetv at moment, my spidey senses tell me a all4 app is coming for firetv.
That is my problem I don't have a smart DNS provider and don't wish to pay as I changed the DNS on my Xbox one for free.
Old 04-04-2015, 00:00   #1517
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That is my problem I don't have a smart DNS provider and don't wish to pay as I changed the DNS on my Xbox one for free.
I find paid ones the best option £3 is nothing really when it opens up a whole world of content for you.
Old 04-04-2015, 00:08   #1518
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I find paid ones the best option £3 is nothing really when it opens up a whole world of content for you.
True but I was just hoping to enter the DNS settings I found on the web that worked on the Xbox one for free.
Old 04-04-2015, 00:56   #1519
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
True but I was just hoping to enter the DNS settings I found on the web that worked on the Xbox one for free.
It should work i don't know just follow the guide i posted see if your dns works.
Old 07-04-2015, 18:27   #1520
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Roku updates Roku 2 and 3 streaming players, reveals new Search and Feed features

Link

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote:
Probably not worth it anyway if today's news is anything to go by.
Old 07-04-2015, 19:05   #1521
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Probably not worth it anyway if today's news is anything to go by.
What news are you referring to?
Old 07-04-2015, 20:05   #1522
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Yes which news is this?

Edit

Maybe a change of terms of service?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/beware-...162020146.html
Old 07-04-2015, 22:34   #1523
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:

Yes which news is this?

Edit

So we have yahoo usual scaremonging again yet we have this direct from Netflix i know which one i believe. http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...n-on-vpn-users
Old 07-04-2015, 23:07   #1524
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Quote:

Yes which news is this?

Edit

Quote:
So we have yahoo usual scaremonging again yet we have this direct from Netflix i know which one i believe. http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...n-on-vpn-users
It may be this piece of news...
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Netflix CEO open to removing country content restrictions to cut piracy.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...#ixzz3W2Ktzfoy
Old 08-04-2015, 00:42   #1525
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
It may be this piece of news...
Most likely is this tbf a bold and very good move by Neflix.
Old 08-04-2015, 00:57   #1526
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Most likely is this tbf a bold and very good move by Neflix.

Does that mean you can dump your USA account?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:23   #1527
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Does that mean you can dump your USA account?
I only have one Netflix account, one account covers all regions.
I won't be dumping my vpn if that's what you meant? As i use other services such as hbogo, xfinity, directtv.
Old 09-04-2015, 16:25   #1528
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201504093...#axzz3Wjz9MY1h

Streaming services to hit 100 million subs this year.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why shouldn't they be able to have exclusive content ?
I don't care for exclusive content because if I don't happen to have the service, I need to pay for another one to access it or not be able to see it.
Old 09-04-2015, 17:12   #1529
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201504093...#axzz3Wjz9MY1h

Streaming services to hit 100 million subs this year.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

I don't care for exclusive content because if I don't happen to have the service, I need to pay for another one to access it or not be able to see it.
Sadly that's life , whether we like it or not.
Old 09-04-2015, 18:18   #1530
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

While I don't like having to buy another service just to get access to a series or film, it is a fact of life. The streaming services need to compete to survive. They have four things they can compete on.
  1. Size of their library.
  2. Cost of subscription
  3. Quality of their videos
  4. Exclusive content.

Regarding the Size of their library, that may not be an effective way to compete because most people don't care how many millions of programmes/films they have access to as long as they have access to some they like.

Cost of subscription. If they compete on price, they'll end up driving their own profit margins down, and therefore reduce the amount they have to invest in both their own services and their content. This will mainly become a problem when the market reaches saturation point as they will be unable to attract enough subscribers to reverse the shortfall caused by a price drop.

Quality of videos. In my experience, beyond bragging rights, most people wouldn't notice the difference between a Full HD or 4K video on standard size home TV screen (60 inch or less), and a lot of people have trouble telling the difference between 720p and 1080p (Full HD). Also, a lot of people don't really care how good the video is as long as they enjoy the programme. There's also the problem that any serious increase in video quality may well require a leap in the capabilities of the available technology, and may require people to purchase new equipment. Which, as any company selling 3D TVs will tell you, is not a given.

That just leaves exclusive content. It's a lot easier for Netflix, Lovefilm, Blinkbox, Sky or whoever to merely sign up any one of the thousands of independent film or TV producers to make a new series or film, and has the bonus that it's relatively easy to do, and is only going to cost them a few tens of millions of pounds (if that). Bear in mind that while even a million is a lot of money to us (certainly enough to live on comfortably), it's peanuts to those companies.
Closed Thread