Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Missiles stationed on residential roof for Olympics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Met Police to extract mobile phone data

Old 17-05-2012, 20:38   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Met Police to extract mobile phone data

Quote:
The Metropolitan Police has implemented a system to extract mobile phone data from suspects held in custody.

The data includes call history, texts and contacts, and the BBC has learned that it will be retained regardless of whether any charges are brought.

BBC News
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2012, 21:08   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Met Police to extract mobile phone data

somebodies taking the Met for a ride aren't they ?

Quote:
The cost of leasing the 16 terminals for 12 months and training the officers will be £50,000, the Met said.
I can instantly access my data on my phone with a couple of quid usb lead
Old 17-05-2012, 21:14   #3
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all

This concerns me but, no doubt, it won't be long before someone comes along to tell me that if I've got nothing to hide then I've nothing to worry about.

If I read the article right the police can capture all the data on your phone (contacts, messages, photos) etc and hold it indefinitely, even if you have done nothing wrong. Now, I'm sure there are some people who will go down the "no smoke without fire" line and if you've been arrested there must be a pretty good reason for it.

What concerns me more is that there is a hand-held device which can be used out on the streets to capture your data without you actually having to be arrested. As long as you are stopped on "suspicion" of something they are allowed to get your data. And if you refuse then you've obviously got something to hide...

I have never committed a crime in my life - not even a parking ticket - so I'm not sure why all these government agencies what to get their hands on all my personal details, find out who I've been talking to and emailing, what websites I've been visiting, where my car has been going etc. If I was paranoid I'd think they were spying on me.
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 21:19   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

It strikes me that "innocent until proven guilty is getting slowly eroded"
Old 17-05-2012, 21:58   #5
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
somebodies taking the Met for a ride aren't they ?

I can instantly access my data on my phone with a couple of quid usb lead
Yep. There are thousands of different mobiles out there so kit that can slurp the data off pretty much anything it comes across will probably be a bit more expensive. Plus it needs to be cop proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfitUK View Post
If I read the article right the police can capture all the data on your phone (contacts, messages, photos) etc and hold it indefinitely, even if you have done nothing wrong. Now, I'm sure there are some people who will go down the "no smoke without fire" line and if you've been arrested there must be a pretty good reason for it.

What concerns me more is that there is a hand-held device which can be used out on the streets to capture your data without you actually having to be arrested. As long as you are stopped on "suspicion" of something they are allowed to get your data. And if you refuse then you've obviously got something to hide...
It's not clear in the article but if the system was being used in any way different to the current system (seize the phone, decide to examine it, get this OK'd by a Chief Inspector or Superintendant, send it to the lab, wait a few weeks, get the phone and report back, return phone to suspect) I'd be amazed. It won't be automatically used for every phone of every detainee, there has to be some reasonable suspicion the phone has relevant data in it.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 22:33   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
It strikes me that "innocent until proven guilty is getting slowly eroded"
Why is the word slowly in there at all?
Old 17-05-2012, 22:44   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Because it's not being done as quickly as the powers that be would like?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 22:49   #8
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Because it's not being done as quickly as the powers that be would like?
I was trying to generous ,but i think Cobby's got it
Old 18-05-2012, 00:05   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Yep. There are thousands of different mobiles out there so kit that can slurp the data off pretty much anything it comes across will probably be a bit more expensive. Plus it needs to be cop proof
Not to mention the fact it may need to access deleted or protected data and in such a way that they can guarantee the data will not, in any way, be altered, even if it's just to log that the phone has been accessed, because, I suspect, if the case gets to court, the defence would have a good chance of successfully arguing that the evidence contained on the phone is contaminated, and therefore invalid.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 00:11   #10
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Its not about if there is nothing to hide then nothing to worry about, its about personal information, i may not want people having access to my personal text messages, pictures and videos on my phone, or personal files, and the contacts in my phone, they may not want their phone number and other details handed over to the police without permission.

but if this technology was to be taken out onto the streets and used in stop-and-searches, that would be a significant and disturbing expansion of police powers."

thats quite disturbing if that happens, that law could be abused too.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 06:37   #11
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Its not about if there is nothing to hide then nothing to worry about, its about personal information
Mobile phones are routinely seized, interrogated and their data examined by every Police force in the UK already. To be honest this story is no more newsworthy than when they changed from ink and card to a digital livescan system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
but if this technology was to be taken out onto the streets and used in stop-and-searches, that would be a significant and disturbing expansion of police powers."
If the Police decided to take the data off every phone of every person then yes that would be an issue. They don't. I don't think they ever will and it would take a change in the law to make that in any way legal so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote