Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 30-03-2012, 14:16   #1
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/1119141

Quote:
As we begin migrating you to your new faster broadband speeds, we're making some changes to our subscriber traffic management (STM) policies to help maintain the quality of broadband service you've come to expect.

So we’re reducing the downstream speed reduction on 30Mb and above from 75% to 50% and introducing STM on 50Mb and 100Mb. We'll be publishing the full information on this on Monday at http://www.virginmedia.com/traffic/

In addition as part of the speed doubling programme, where you'll receive faster speeds and with the significant additional investment we're making to our network, we'll be trialling a variety of different approaches to traffic management over the coming months to make the system more intelligent and flexible, while ensuring the optimal quality of service. We'll publish more information on this as soon as it's available.
Old 30-03-2012, 14:23   #2
lordofangels
Inactive

Services: Broadband 152Mb (M)Phone
lordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

So when the 200Mb comes out, that will be free from STM, giving us an incentive to move over to it.
Quite clever if i'm right. Saying that, that's not that often mind
lordofangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:27   #3
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

I thought the 50Mb service has always had some sort of traffic management on it , or am I confusing that with something else?

I sure I got some sort of warning letter just after I subscribed to it ... ?
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 17:36   #4
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

seems people still get frequently confused on this.

VM run STM and protocol shaping, 2 types of traffic management.

The latter (protocol) is on all tiers during peak hours.
The former (STM) was on up/down on all tiers below 50mbit and on UP on 50meg.

STM affects all traffic and isnt protocol sensitive.

This announcement seems to squash the rumoured change which would have been to scrap protocol shaping and replace it with some sort of intelligent STM (comcast style).
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 17:38   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
This announcement seems to squash the rumoured change which would have been to scrap protocol shaping and replace it with some sort of intelligent STM (comcast style).
Thisn't the only change:

Quote:
we'll be trialling a variety of different approaches to traffic management over the coming months to make the system more intelligent and flexible, while ensuring the optimal quality of service. We'll publish more information on this as soon as it's available
Old 30-03-2012, 18:10   #6
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I read that also, but it would be a very strange move to do this change and then another change (more major) soon after. Although knowing VM.....
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:17   #7
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

As long as the limits are reasonable, I am fine with it, so long as it means I can max out my connection more often at peak times and not suffer poor pings.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:39   #8
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

So they are introducing STM on 50Mb and 100Mb what about the 120Mb, so that means once my speed has been increased from 50Mb to 100Mb that if I get STM'd I will still get 50Mb sounds good to me.
Old 30-03-2012, 20:43   #9
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them

OK just rang up and they said 100/120 mb will be 250gig before STM kicks in and then a 50% reduction in speed, and STM times will run from 10AM till 3PM, but he didn't know about the protocol shaping? And the upload will be 120gig before STM kicks in.....

Was going to leave but the changes seem fair enough to me, plus infinity has been put back 3 months in my area!!!!
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:48   #10
gouldy
Inactive

gouldy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
So they are introducing STM on 50Mb and 100Mb what about the 120Mb, so that means once my speed has been increased from 50Mb to 100Mb that if I get STM'd I will still get 50Mb sounds good to me.
well you must be easily pleased then, cause it sounds proper (Mod Edit, please do not try to avoid the swear filter) to me
STM on 100mb, people will leave in there droves if there FTTC enabled

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

250gig if you believe that, you'll believe anything
gouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:52   #11
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them

Can't see how its possible to do 250 gig in 5 hours anyway and only did just under 200gig last month!
Old 30-03-2012, 20:58   #12
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Last week I did 30 gig in slightly over an hour on 50meg. OS Maps are kinda huge
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 21:02   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Please folks this is a family friendly site so do not try to evade the swear filter.Those that continue to do so will incur infractions.
Old 30-03-2012, 21:08   #14
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Might be time to get in contact with BT Infinity...
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 21:18   #15
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

Wink Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

I might just celebrate by extending my Astraweb subscription by a month!!!!!