Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nightmare

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Nightmare

Old 14-04-2011, 17:30   #1
raybessant
Inactive

raybessant is an unknown quantity at this point
Nightmare

My name is Ray .

My wife and I have spent three months refurbishing our property spending all of our money,time and effort to achieve a beautiful new home for our family to move in to - one of the last things we had to do was install a cable provider - I persuaded my wife to change from Sky to virgin for our new property after seeing their adverts claiming faster and better services and reading their customer service promises contained in literature sent to our home.

We started to move into our new home and moved the tv's and pc in on Friday the 25th of March to facilitate the installation with the final move planned for the next day.

The engineer who called was later than was promised - told me there were no options for cabling and that he had to drill through my inner wall - he used newspaper and not the dust sheets he is provided with and did not use his pipe finders which he also is provided with - he drilled through my hot water pipe and flooded my whole ground floor - he did not apologise or help to stem or mop the flow of water.

The damage has proved to be devastating to our home and ourselves - the new wooden floor - down only 36 hours has been ruined beyond repair as well as a carpet that had also only been fitted that week.The engineer said to my wife that we would not receive compensation when she asked if they were insured and then claimed he didn't know who he worked for and did not know their number - my wife asked him what the number of his boss was and then used that number to phone his manager who turned out to be a sub-contractor from Mapgroupuk.

I phoned Virgin and was then passed from pillar to post after many push botton menus and 20 minutes of holding was told I would be called back within the hour - I was not called back and rang again 2 hours later to register my complaint and also to complain about customer service re my previous call.I was told I would be contacted in less than five days to deal with my complaint - I said that this was unacceptable and I needed to be reassured that this was covered by Virgin and cost and repair would be their responsibility - the person on the phone said that they would put a note on the complaint file explaining this point.

Mapgroupuk were contacted by my wife and they said they would provide a plumber and plasterer to repair the pipe and damage to wall - the engineer then proceeded to fit the cable around the sides of my house which he said before the incident was not an option so he had lied to us saying this was because he hadn't had time as he was too busy - Virgin's literature says that we are to be given all options available to hide cable.

A plumber was called who fixed the pipe and a plasterer came the next day leaving us an ugly unsanded wall either side of our newly decorated house and a ruined floor and carpet.They never came back to sand and paint the two damaged walls as thy had promised either.

I rang virgin twice in the next few days but was only told I would receive a reply in the five day time span re my complaint .I rang again on the ninth day since the complaint after having had no response - I was promised a call the following day which I received from a complaints manager finally ten days after my complaint - I received a phone bill from 02 mobile for 60 pounds more than usual due to the calls made about this complaint.I asked for the bill on my Virgin account -( which won't show details because the website hasn't worked properly for 2 weeks ) to be stopped as I hadn't even moved in to the property due to this damage and it still hasn't been removed.

I have also learned that Mapgroup the subcontractor are going back on their promise to pay up front for replacing and repairing the damage done by their negligence to our home.Mapgroup stopped answering my calls and e mails - asked me to look at another type of floor as it was proving too expensive for them to replace and after giving some money(not the full cost by any estimate) now want an insurance agent to look at it 3 weeks after the damage before they decide if they will pay or not - delaying me even more - why wasn't the insurance agent there the day after ? surely they should pay and let us get it done and then claim on their insurance ?

I am writing this because I am distressed that I have been and continue to be lied to and all promises made have come to nothing and to ask if anyone has any advice ?

Regards,
Ray
raybessant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2011, 18:03   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Nightmare

Whether the contractor likes it or not they will have a liability. They should also carry Public Liability Insurance to cover them selves for this type of incident. Regretably though they try to wiggle and often put the blame on the bloke on the ground who yes it may have been his fault for doing something wrong, but it is the contractor's responsibility to ensure it is dealt with correctly.

But in fact your contract for the install is with Virgin Media, not their installation subcontractor. Thus it is from Virgin Media that you have a claim and VM need to take that seriously.

Cable Forum does have a method of escalating serious issues to VM which can cut through some of the red tape. If you wish me to do this, please send me a PM with your customer name, address and a daytime contact phone number.

On a final note, if the property was as flooded by this as you intimate then you need to ensure it is properly dried out. That will be more than just replacing a bit of plaster and wooden flooring. Any floor screed will have absorbed moisture that could tak e some time to dry, even if dehumidifier drier kit is used. Again if a wall is affected by damp that can take days if not weeks to dry and new plaster will only cover over the damp that can come back. You may need some proper advice rather than accepting the "cut our costs" approach to reinstatement.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:05   #3
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Nothing new about VM support, just email Neil Berkett, CEO of Virgin Media and one of his team members should get you somewhere (I hope!)
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:41   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
Nothing new about VM support, just email Neil Berkett, CEO of Virgin Media and one of his team members should get you somewhere (I hope!)
Or let Rob deal with it as he has offered.
Old 14-04-2011, 21:52   #5
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Does he have CEO like powers?
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 23:28   #6
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

I'd just like to point out that new plumbing often involves the use of plastic pipes that the installers can't detect.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 23:30   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
I'd just like to point out that new plumbing often involves the use of plastic pipes that the installers can't detect.
Seconded!!!!
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 00:24   #8
raybessant
Inactive

Hello - I'm afraid all of my pipes are copper so no get out clause for the engineer there and his attitude had to be heard to be believed.
Old 15-04-2011, 06:49   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
Does he have CEO like powers?
They have High Level Virginmedia contacts instead.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 12:10   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I have received your PM details and forwarded this to our contacts. Hopefully they will be in touch soon but as you didn't give your daytime contact number I hope they'll be able to find that from your account details

Please do keep us updated as to how things progress.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 00:47   #11
raybessant
Inactive

Thank you Rob - and thanks to all for all replies - I'm forced to wait and see if someone at Virgin does the right thing and quickly I hope.

Regards,

Ray
Old 16-04-2011, 11:26   #12
redone
Inactive

redone is an unknown quantity at this point

Mapgroup dont care how much the damage is worth in my experiance they just pay up and pass the cost to the tech who gets it deducted from there wage. As for the tech not knowing who he worked for and not using his pipe detector he just sounds like an idiot
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 11:39   #13
raybessant
Inactive

Mapgroup's manager and CEO both phoned me and promised to pay all costs up front with no quibbling - they confirmed this in an e mail - they paid me an interim payment but when the estimates came in for replacing my ruined floor ignored my calls and e mails and brought in an insurance company who called to my house 20 days later - am still no closer to having repairs done as I have to wait for quotes and decisions to be relayed before I can give the flooring company the go ahead.
I would have thought Virgin would have forced them to keep their promises I mean their sub contract must be worth a lot and Virgin can't afford bad publicity like this - assuming they care - maybe I'm being naive.
Thanks for replying,

Regards,
Ray
Old 16-04-2011, 12:00   #14
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
Then common sense should prevail .

@RayBessant

This a horror story and assuming it is 100%true (there are a lot of posters that embellish their claims of bad installs so no offence to you)you are the victim of a "hit and run"install that has left you with damage to your property and a really bad impression of VM's service as a whole .The contractors will be insured they just don't want to use their insurers as this will increase costs ,my advice would be to take up Robs offer of help

hope it all gets sorted soon
Old 16-04-2011, 17:58   #15
raybessant
Inactive

Thanks martyh -

Excellent Small Gods quote btw;

am afraid there is no embellishment to my story - 'tis a tale of woe unvarnished by any prose of my making - as for the engineer who started the ball rolling through the pinball game of broken promises and awful customer service - this perhaps explains his ethos;

"There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)