Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Google Android

Old 06-12-2010, 22:12   #46
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: Google Android

Ive looked at the preview vids of 2.3 and it looks OK... might wait a bit for a new phone then - I've been looking at the Desire Z
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2011, 00:30   #47
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Finally(!) got the 2.2 Froyo update on my Vodafone HTC Wildfire today, it's sped it up loads to be honest, didn't get an alert it was available, just thought to check for it myself so don't know how long it's been there.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 13:33   #48
haydnwalker
Inactive

haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

OK so I took the plunge and bought a Google Nexus S... I haven't really used it much yet, as I've got a Silicone Case and Screen Protector on order (Samsung don't provide screen protectors in the box) so I'm looking forward to being a fellow Android(er?)
Old 03-02-2011, 16:51   #49
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Welcome to the gang

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Oh and don't forget http://market.android.com/

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 18:03   #50
haydnwalker
Inactive

Yeah I've been looking at the online market...quite impressive you can remotely install apps... its a pity you can't remotely remove apps though
Old 03-02-2011, 19:05   #51
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
OK so I took the plunge and bought a Google Nexus S...
Whats the NS like? & welcome to the fold
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 19:14   #52
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Welcome to Android!
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 19:35   #53
haydnwalker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Whats the NS like? & welcome to the fold
Not played properly yet, but the screen is nice (more vibrant than an iPhone 4), Touch screen is very responsive, its very light (and much sexier than the apple square slab )

I'll do a full "review" once I've had it a week or two...

I'm waiting for the cover/screen protector combo to arrive before I switch over properly. I don't wanna make a mess of it before I've had it a week . I did use ProtectYourBubble.com for my insurance though, and they seem very good (£90 for a year including accidental damage/loss/unauthorised calls etc).
Old 03-02-2011, 19:44   #54
Tuftus

Rooted it yet then?

Old 03-02-2011, 19:45   #55
haydnwalker
Inactive

No... not really into the hacked ROMs etc, used to for WM but found them virtually unusable.

It's pure Android (2.3 Gingerbread) so no real reason to root I don't think.
Old 03-02-2011, 19:47   #56
Tuftus

Quote:
No... not really into the hacked ROMs etc, used to for WM but found them virtually unusable.

Fair play, I must admit though Cyanogen Mod 7 is pretty cool though
Old 03-02-2011, 20:12   #57
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Rooting is also needed for a number of very useful apps. For example:

Titanium Backup: https://market.android.com/details?i...TitaniumBackup (allows easy removal of built in apps and has tons of other features)

AutoKiller Memory Optimizer: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rs.autokiller (keeps my phone working more smoothly and saves a lot of battery power in the process)
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 20:14   #58
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
Titanium Backup: https://market.android.com/details?i...TitaniumBackup (allows easy removal of built in apps and has tons of other features)
As it's vanilla Android 2.3 I would assume there are very few built in apps that aren't actually required?
Old 03-02-2011, 20:18   #59
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As it's vanilla Android 2.3 I would assume there are very few built in apps that aren't actually required?
When i say built in apps, i don't mean system apps. I mean stock apps like Facebook, Documents to Go, RoadSync etc which aren't removable by normal means.
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 20:20   #60
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
When i say built in apps, i don't mean system apps. I mean stock apps like Facebook, Documents to Go, RoadSync etc which aren't removable by normal means.
Again, it's vanilla Android 2.3 on the Nexus S i.e straight from Google. Those apps won't be there in the first place will they?