Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 18-09-2012, 17:11   #121
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
No news yet on if BT Sports will launch on Virgin Media or even Sky.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rug...ture-line.html

"What? I have a different internet provider — do I have to switch?

No. BT say they will create an entirely new sports channel to host their live football and rugby coverage. This will be available, at a price, to existing customers, plus those who have Sky or Virgin. It is expected to be an equivalent cost to a Sky Sports package — which is around £21 a month."

It all depends on whether you believe the Daily Mail are a credible source.

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
If that is the price that is expensive. WIth Ssky sports on to top is about £40 a month maybe more
£21.00 would be outrageous. At least for £21.00 on SKY you get SKY Sports 1, SKY Sports 2, SKY Sports 3, SKY Sports 4, SKY F1 and SKY Sports News.

ESPN has been free on XL from launch. M+ and L customers can get ESPN for £8 per month as standard, or as little at £6 per month if they have the SKY Sports collection. I can't see any Virgin or SKY customer happily paying £21.00 per month for a repackaged version of ESPN.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2012, 17:19   #122
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

21.00 a month , someone has a sense of humour

They can keep it , although I'd be amazed if it was set that high.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 17:22   #123
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rug...ture-line.html

"What? I have a different internet provider — do I have to switch?

No. BT say they will create an entirely new sports channel to host their live football and rugby coverage. This will be available, at a price, to existing customers, plus those who have Sky or Virgin. It is expected to be an equivalent cost to a Sky Sports package — which is around £21 a month."

It all depends on whether you believe the Daily Mail are a credible source.

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

£21.00 would be outrageous. At least for £21.00 on SKY you get SKY Sports 1, SKY Sports 2, SKY Sports 3, SKY Sports 4, SKY F1 and SKY Sports News.

ESPN has been free on XL from launch. M+ and L customers can get ESPN for £8 per month as standard, or as little at £6 per month if they have the SKY Sports collection. I can't see any Virgin or SKY customer happily paying £21.00 per month for a repackaged version of ESPN.
l cannot see it being that price as it would be total suicide on the part of BT as the only customers they will ever have if that ever was the case would be their own customers who of course they would subsidise.
Old 18-09-2012, 17:27   #124
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l cannot see it being that price as it would be total suicide on the part of BT as the only customers they will ever have if that ever was the case would be their own customers who of course they would subsidise.
I could not agree more.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 17:32   #125
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No news yet on if BT Sports will launch on Virgin Media or even Sky.
In all honesty MB we do know If BT didn't launch on Virgin and Sky at a reasonable price (my guess is that Xl customers will either get it on the cheap or it be subsumed into the costs a la ESPN) then the whole BT project will crash and burn.

BT will HAVE to offer it to Sky & VM no if and or bust
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 17:38   #126
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

How about this
£21.00 gets you 5 Sky sports channels if I am reading Chads post correctly. Is not BT sport 1 channel ? £21 divided by 5 = £4.20 !!!!
Old 18-09-2012, 17:57   #127
cdf90
Inactive

Services: XL Pack + HD, Sky Sports + Movies + HD, Netflix, 100mb BB, Talk Unlimited
cdf90 will become famous soon enoughcdf90 will become famous soon enoughcdf90 will become famous soon enough

I very much doubt BT Sports would be added to the XL pack, even though I'd like it to.

Setanta and ESPN joined the XL pack for guaranteed income, BT are certainly not short of cash at the moment, and allowing a rival service to not charge customers a premium for the service certainly wouldn't help their ambition to drive up subscribers.
cdf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 18:19   #128
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
How about this
£21.00 gets you 5 Sky sports channels if I am reading Chads post correctly. Is not BT sport 1 channel ? £21 divided by 5 = £4.20 !!!!
If you can get ESPN, ESPN HD, ESPN America and ESPN Classic for as little as £6.00 per month outwith the XL package, then £4.20 seems about right for BT sports.

Will ESPN completely pull out of the UK market or will ESPN Classic and ESPN America remain? I'd say whilst there is doubt in the air, ESPN America fans won't see Virgin agreeing a deal for ESPN America HD any time soon.

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf90 View Post
I very much doubt BT Sports would be added to the XL pack, even though I'd like it to.

Setanta and ESPN joined the XL pack for guaranteed income, BT are certainly not short of cash at the moment, and allowing a rival service to not charge customers a premium for the service certainly wouldn't help their ambition to drive up subscribers.
I don't think the new channel will go into the XL package either. I wonder what Virgin would look to offer, if anything as a replacement? For me personally Premier Sports + BoxNation would be a decent alternative however not everyone enjoys boxing.

Interestingly enough some people joining BT Vision for BT Sports might not be able to access the channel from launch. They have a disclaimer on their site which states the following:

"From 14th September 2012 ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 add-ons will only be sold to Vision customers who are within a BT Infinity broadband enabled area. Use our checker to find out if you are eligible."

You are then taken to the below page and about half way down the page there is a section where you can enter your house number and post code.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...ts/tv/freeview

"Which Freeview and Premium Sports channels can I get?

Freeview and Premium Sports aren't available everywhere. Check which Freeview channels you can get at home as well as Premium Sports (Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2 and ESPN)."

According to this I can't receive ESPN or SKY Sports. Checked the below link which confirms Infinity won't be rolled out in my area until December 2013.

http://www.fibremap.bt.com/

Even after Infinity has rolled out in my area, there still seems to be doubt in regards to receiving Premium channels:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...id/13922/c/346

Good thing I wasn't considering going to BT Vision for BT Sports!
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 18:43   #129
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Typical of the Daily Fail, there is no way on earth BT can charge £21 pm for 1 channel, they only have to look a how setanta went bust at they charged around £10 pm I think
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 00:27   #130
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf90 View Post

I thought ESPN went into xl because Virgin faced a backlash from it's subscribers who were angry at losing the free Premier League coverage? I actually thought Virgin had been taking a loss on this?
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 14:39   #131
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
In all honesty MB we do know If BT didn't launch on Virgin and Sky at a reasonable price (my guess is that Xl customers will either get it on the cheap or it be subsumed into the costs a la ESPN) then the whole BT project will crash and burn.

BT will HAVE to offer it to Sky & VM no if and or bust
Look what happen to the English Football League deal with The ITV Sports Channel!!!

ITV Sport Channel was only on ITV Digital (Now called Freeview) and NTL.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 18:37   #132
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Look what happen to the English Football League deal with The ITV Sports Channel!!!

ITV Sport Channel was only on ITV Digital (Now called Freeview) and NTL.
Not just what happened to the channel-the whole football league of the back of it.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 19:30   #133
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press...ith_sky_sports

Quote:
Sky Sports*has strengthened its position as the home of live cricket by securing six more England overseas tours, including next year’s Ashes, under three new deals.
Long-term agreements with three international cricket boards will bring a range of live Test cricket from Australia (2012-2016), South Africa (2012-2020) and India (2012-2018) and give Sky Sports viewers exclusive live coverage of six England overseas series as well as Test cricket featuring every Test nation.
These deals complement the unrivalled schedule of year-round cricket which includes England’s home Tests, One-Day Internationals, Twenty20 International matches, ICC events, county and women’s matches plus a range of support programming including Cricket AM and Cricket Writers on TV.
They continue a series of strong major rights renewals for Sky Sports, with no less than 16 deals over the last 18 months including live rights for the ICC Cricket World Cup, ICC World Twenty20 and the ICC Women's Cricket World Cup.
The new cricket deals feature:
* AUSTRALIA: A four-year deal starting with next year's Ashes in Australia and including England’s 2015 triangular series visit. The period also includes Australia's home series with South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies, India and New Zealand, plus Australia’s domestic Twenty20 Big Bash League.
* SOUTH AFRICA: The next two England tours of South Africa, in 2015 and 2019, will be broadcast live under this eight-year deal. It also includes the current number one Test nation against New Zealand, Pakistan, India, Australia, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, plus domestic Twenty20 matches from South Africa.
* INDIA: England’s tour this winter is the first of two England Test series under the 6-year deal. As well as the England tour of 2016-17 Sky Sports viewers will see matches against Australia, West Indies, South Africa, Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said; “The Ashes is one of world sport's greatest events and we can now guarantee the next three series, home and away.”
He continued: “Test cricket has always been core to Sky Sports and it continues this winter with the start of a six-year deal with India. Then, as England look to take the Test crown back from South Africa our viewers can see their next two series in South Africa.”
"These deals give our viewers great live cricket guaranteed for years ahead; our cricket schedule is simply stronger than ever with England at home and on Tour, the leading ICC events, the major Test nations and a depth of County cricket, a line-up of live cricket right through the calendar. Sky Sports has never offered greater depth and breadth of coverage and this series of rights renewals gives us the strongest line up of live sport for our viewers to watch at home or on the move."
Sky has followed England live every winter since 1990. Cricket coverage on Sky Sports features analysis from some of the biggest names in the sport, including five former England captains. The latest cricket news, results and views are also available every day on skysports.com and Sky Sports News HD.
The recent long-term deals for Sky Sports include:
Premier League
UEFA Champions League
Football League
Scottish Premier League
Spain’s La Liga
England & Wales Cricket Board
Cricket Australia
Cricket South Africa
Board of Control for Cricket in India
International Cricket Council
British and Irish Lions
Heineken Cup
European Tour and Ryder Cup
Rugby Football League
NFL
Formula 1TM*
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 19:32   #134
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
More time for (Sleeping)
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 07:45   #135
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes indeed MM its a very impressive list but lets hope the prices rises don't increase at the same pace as if it becomes too expensive then people might just get rid of it altogether.