Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 28-04-2014, 17:21   #1351
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgie View Post
Yep no attacking the man here
l am just saying how it is Sir.
Old 28-04-2014, 17:23   #1352
edgie
Inactive

edgie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Right. So, when Salmond makes an ad hominem attack on David Cameron (and let's not pretend the use of the words "fooling around" and "Eton" are anything else), then it's no consequence, but when someone lays in to Alex Salmond, it's "Playing the man instead of the ball is a sure sign that you are losing the argument".

I'm glad we've established your double standards within 60 minutes of you joining this discussion. What were you saying earlier about laughing at rubbish?

As for "separatist": Yes. I prefer to call a spade a spade. I reject the SNP's attempt to frame this as a nationalist issue; I know plenty of Scottish-born people who are extremely proud of their nation and wish to see that nation flourish, but who reject separatism as the means by which it might flourish.

Separatism is one possible expression of nationalism and is the one the SNP is peddling. And, for the very many reasons we have gone over, and over, and over, in this thread, separatism is a pig in a poke.
No double standards as i said I care not about the politicians
They will twist their arguments and select facts to suit them self’s as that’s how politicians work. I have my opinion, which I haven’t given yet, based on an emotional and a practical fact based argument.

As to your comment “Scottish born “ why is a birth location an issue in this debate on either side, if come 18 September you are living in Scotland and eligible to vote that’s the issue. Are you suggesting we should limit the vote only to those born in Scotland??

And of course it’s a nationalist issue; the democratic vote of the Scottish nation is what will decide this one way or the other.
edgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:32   #1353
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
No double standards as i said I care not about the politicians
They will twist their arguments and select facts to suit them self’s as that’s how politicians work. I have my opinion, which I haven’t given yet, based on an emotional and a practical fact based argument.

As to your comment “Scottish born “ why is a birth location an issue in this debate on either side, if come 18 September you are living in Scotland and eligible to vote that’s the issue. Are you suggesting we should limit the vote only to those born in Scotland??

And of course it’s a nationalist issue; the democratic vote of the Scottish nation is what will decide this one way or the other.
"Scottish born", because no matter how much I may love Scotland, I think someone who was actually born here has a better handle on how nationalism may be expressed. I can observe how Scottish people express their nationalism and relate it here, but as I am not Scottish, and there is no legal means by which I could become so (had I wanted to - which I don't), then that provides useful context for anything I might say about Scottish nationalism.

I am English, I live in Scotland, I have a vote, and I will vote in September on whether I think Scotland is better off taking full control of all the levers of government, or whether it is better remaining in a union with the other home nations which currently share much of that as one nation state called the UK.

As things stand, while I can intellectually conceive of circumstances under which Scotland would be better off separating from the UK, I believe those circumstances are a long way from the actual reality of 2014.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:32   #1354
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
As some one who has read what gets posted here and laughed as some of the rubbish
i thought i would join and point out that rightly or wrongly Gordon brown is still well thought of in Scotland

and the demonizing of Alex is actually quite funny if it wasn’t so sad, To personalize this decision on either side to alex Salmond is both insulting to the voters and plainly stupid.
A lot of YES voters despise the man, and NO voters think he is the best politician in the UK at the moment.

This vote is NOT about Salmond, or the SNP, its about a long term future for Scotland
That point has already been made and it may be true but I was stating my opinion not Scotland's and around these parts Brown is certainly not well thought of which is why he got the boot at the first opportunity.

As for demonising Salmond well you get as good as you give. Salmond's a big boy now and evidently doesn't mind a bit of derogatory name calling so it's only fair that he receives some in return.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:37   #1355
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Hot on the heels of threatening to walk away from any share of the UKs debt and proving once again that he really understands how diplomacy works Emperor-in-waiting Salmond has come up with a master plan to ensure EU entry.

Basically it's let us in or we will blockade fishing grounds and access to other countries fishing grounds.

Quote:
European fishing fleets could be denied access to Scottish waters if SNP plans to retain EU membership after independence are rejected, Alex Salmond has warned.

The First Minister said a dozen countries may be barred from entering Scotland's seas and would not even be allowed to pass through to reach Norwegian waters.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...embership.html
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:48   #1356
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Eck and whose navy?
Old 29-04-2014, 14:00   #1357
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Eck and whose navy?
All those submarines stationed at Faslane... Oh....
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 14:12   #1358
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I'm still waiting to hear who he thinks would man his patrol vessels and skiddly second-hand T55s, given that he can't simply lay claim to an 8% share of the personnel of the UK armed forces. No man or woman can have their service transferred to a foreign country as if it were a football transfer. If they don't want to go, nobody can make them.

I'm definitely going to Armed Forces Day this year, it will be great to see our service people showing off their stuff and also quite amusing to see how many people aren't down the road in a muddy field by Bannock Burn, pining after a 700-year-old medieval dynastic squabble.
Old 29-04-2014, 14:29   #1359
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear who he thinks would man his patrol vessels and skiddly second-hand T55s, given that he can't simply lay claim to an 8% share of the personnel of the UK armed forces. No man or woman can have their service transferred to a foreign country as if it were a football transfer. If they don't want to go, nobody can make them.

I'm definitely going to Armed Forces Day this year, it will be great to see our service people showing off their stuff and also quite amusing to see how many people aren't down the road in a muddy field by Bannock Burn, pining after a 700-year-old medieval dynastic squabble.
Presumably they'll take the Scottish units?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 14:31   #1360
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

But they can't, can they? They can negotiate a share of the hardware assets, but they could not compel any serviceman or woman to join or remain with the military of a country foreign to the one they signed up for.
Old 29-04-2014, 14:37   #1361
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Hot on the heels of threatening to walk away from any share of the UKs debt and proving once again that he really understands how diplomacy works Emperor-in-waiting Salmond has come up with a master plan to ensure EU entry.

Basically it's let us in or we will blockade fishing grounds and access to other countries fishing grounds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...embership.html
There was I thinking that Salmond had been giving the impression that EU membership was a shoo-in for Scotland.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 14:39   #1362
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
There was I thinking that Salmond had been giving the impression that EU membership was a shoo-in for Scotland.
You forget, "Constructive, enthusiastic" is Natspeak for "Here is a list of our demands ... Or else."
Old 29-04-2014, 15:19   #1363
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Pierre What have the Scots or Welsh done to you or Cornish people
In reference to what?
Old 29-04-2014, 15:25   #1364
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I can observe how Scottish people express their nationalism and relate it here
By supporting Celtic or Rangers?
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20   #1365
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

From Private Eye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BmfcqfoIQAAdN0b.jpg large.jpg (123.9 KB, 76 views)
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote