Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 28-04-2014, 16:42   #1336
edgie
Inactive

edgie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
[/COLOR]

If it happens his place in history will be about as positive as Gordon Brown's.
As some one who has read what gets posted here and laughed as some of the rubbish
i thought i would join and point out that rightly or wrongly Gordon brown is still well thought of in Scotland

and the demonizing of Alex is actually quite funny if it wasn’t so sad, To personalize this decision on either side to alex Salmond is both insulting to the voters and plainly stupid.
A lot of YES voters despise the man, and NO voters think he is the best politician in the UK at the moment.

This vote is NOT about Salmond, or the SNP, its about a long term future for Scotland
edgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2014, 16:46   #1337
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Alex?

Are you best pals?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:46   #1338
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Hard to differentiate between the man and the movement, though - as he is the figurehead for the Separatist movement.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:50   #1339
edgie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Hard to differentiate between the man and the movement, though - as he is the figurehead for the Separatist movement.
Its only hard for the hard of thinking ..on either side

I tend to stick to the issues and not the transient personalities
Old 28-04-2014, 16:51   #1340
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It's hard to differentiate between the SNP and a personality cult at times. Its fortunes are very closely tied to his, as the disastrous reign of J Swinney showed.

As does the tendency for sympathisers to refer to him in discussion by his first name (as has happened here) or to fly into a rage when he is attacked (as has not happened here so far).
Old 28-04-2014, 16:53   #1341
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Pierre What have the Scots or Welsh done to you or Cornish people
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:54   #1342
edgie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's hard to differentiate between the SNP and a personality cult at times. Its fortunes are very closely tied to his, as the disastrous reign of J Swinney showed.

As does the tendency for sympathisers to refer to him in discussion by his first name (as has happened here) or to fly into a rage when he is attacked (as has not happened here so far).
Why would you need to attack anyone on either side?
Surely its about the issues?
Not the personalities??

Playing the man instead of the ball is a sure sign that you are losing the argument
Old 28-04-2014, 16:59   #1343
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgie View Post
Why would you need to attack anyone on either side?
Surely its about the issues?
Not the personalities??

Playing the man instead of the ball is a sure sign that you are losing the argument
You should phone Bute House and advise himself of that fact. After all, he said of Cameron, "while I was compiling the oil and gas index, David Cameron was still fooling around on the playing fields of Eton", and that's not the only example of his own preference for playing the man, not the ball.

I can't blame him though, it's the standard tactic when your argument based on the actual issues is so weak. And the separatist case is very, very weak.
Old 28-04-2014, 17:08   #1344
edgie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You should phone Bute House and advise himself of that fact. After all, he said of Cameron, "while I was compiling the oil and gas index, David Cameron was still fooling around on the playing fields of Eton", and that's not the only example of his own preference for playing the man, not the ball.

I can't blame him though, it's the standard tactic when your argument based on the actual issues is so weak. And the separatist case is very, very weak.
The "separatist case" ?? nice to see an open mind
Which bit, the emotional one?
The financial one?

Why would I bother what he said about an other transient politician who is likely to be ousted by a blonde haired colleague if he doesn’t win the next election outright.
Other than his attempt to suggest that he is better able to run an economy than the other guy
Old 28-04-2014, 17:09   #1345
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Wish it was over & done with Mr Salmon is really annoying me every time I see him on the TV talking nonsense. It will not happen.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:12   #1346
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Wish it was over & done with Mr Salmon is really annoying me every time I see him on the TV talking nonsense. It will not happen.
We have got another five months of this arrogant horrible man and l for one cannot wait for him to get his comeuppance.
Old 28-04-2014, 17:14   #1347
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Mod Comment - post removed.

Let's not feed egos, please - we are not wanting to start an inter-forum conflict, so let's not focus on individuals.
Old 28-04-2014, 17:15   #1348
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The financial one?

Why would I bother what he said about an other transient politician who is likely to be ousted by a blonde haired colleague if he doesn’t win the next election outright.
Other than his attempt to suggest that he is better able to run an economy than the other guy
Right. So, when Salmond makes an ad hominem attack on David Cameron (and let's not pretend the use of the words "fooling around" and "Eton" are anything else), then it's no consequence, but when someone lays in to Alex Salmond, it's "Playing the man instead of the ball is a sure sign that you are losing the argument".

I'm glad we've established your double standards within 60 minutes of you joining this discussion. What were you saying earlier about laughing at rubbish?

As for "separatist": Yes. I prefer to call a spade a spade. I reject the SNP's attempt to frame this as a nationalist issue; I know plenty of Scottish-born people who are extremely proud of their nation and wish to see that nation flourish, but who reject separatism as the means by which it might flourish.

Separatism is one possible expression of nationalism and is the one the SNP is peddling. And, for the very many reasons we have gone over, and over, and over, in this thread, separatism is a pig in a poke.
Old 28-04-2014, 17:16   #1349
edgie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
We have got another five months of this arrogant horrible man and l for one cannot wait for him to get his comeuppance.
Yep no attacking the man here
Old 28-04-2014, 17:17   #1350
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The financial one?

Sorry - aren't the SNP putting forward a case for Separation from the UK?

We are happy to discuss, and disagree on various points - I am Scottish, living in England, and would like my place of birth to remain part of the UK; others views may differ, but as long as we can discuss it in a civilised manner, all to the good.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

Quote:
Yep no attacking the man here
Quote:
The financial one?

Ahem.....